1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everything Tomboy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a self-proclaimed tomboy, I always find it fascinating to hear how others "label" women as tomboys.
    What, in your opinion, makes someone a tomboy? I know there are no set rules or criteria that needs to be met for someone to call themselves a tomboy, but it'd still be interesting to see how you would imagine a tomboy would be, looks-wise, character-wise, and any other-wise.

The reason I call myself a tomboy, as stipulated below: (And again, this is my personal criteria for myself)

• I have really short hair (I know not all tomboys have short hair, but bear with me)
    • I don't like painting my nails, but if I do, it's darker colours, like deep purple or black
    • I don't wear skirts, dresses or heels - give me my men's slip-on sandals and converse and I'm happy
    • I have more male friends than female friends, and get along better with the guys
    • I don't like stereotypical girly things like shopping and frilly pretty little tops and/or dresses (refer to point 3)
    • I'm not into motorsports, cars, bikes or any other type of sports, but I'm not into talking about boys the whole time either (stereotypes)
    • I like to arm wrestle with guys just to show them that not all girls are dainty and ladylike
    • I no longer drink alcohol but when I still drank alcohol, I drank a stereotypical men's brand of beer
    • I don't know different types of tools or how to change oil on my car (but I can at least change a tyre)
    • I wear my nails really short (don't like seeing the white part grow longer than a few millimeters)
    • My favourite clothes are my jeans and t-shirts. I do own feminine clothes, but only wear them when my other shirts are dirty
    • I don't cross my legs when I sit down. I sit with my legs a bit apart, because it's just more comfortable that way
    • I don't wear makeup, but when I do, it's mainly eyeliner. No mascara, no eye shadow, and definitely no lipstick or blush
    So...what "criteria" do YOU rank a tomboy on? And do I still qualify according to what you reckon a tomboy should be? Again, I know there's no set rule on how to be a tomboy, I'm asking what YOU think a tomboy should be/be like

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think if its a big enough part of your identity that you have to let others know you're a tomboy, you're a tomboy! Because so much of gender and expression is how you relate to others, someone who is the "opposite" of what a member of their sex "should be" is going to be aware of that and how it changes their outlook. A lot of straight tomboys get mistaken for lesbian.

Anyway, for me, it's less one trait or even combination of traits, and more how a person carries themselves. I've seen tomboys with long hair. I know women who grew up in all male households, who can take care of themselves, but not necessarily tomboy. Some "grow out" of being one, which could mean they've learned to adapt to expectations, but could still be one "at heart".

Basically, if you are "one of the guys"

3. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Which I am indeed. I associate better with men, as mentioned vaguely in my opening post. I more often than not, get friendzoned by men because I'm too much like them (sort of). Which I'm fine with. I don't need to prove anything to anyone, but it's still nice to hear how other people view tomboys in general. I don't think I'll grow out of being a tomboy anytime soon. Maybe when I reach my 40s/50s, but whilst I'm still young (29), I am happy to call myself a tomboy. One of my male work friends once said to me, "You know, you could just as well call yourself a tomboy" to which I replied, "but I already do. So thank you for the compliment". He just laughed and we carried on chatting about random stuff. It's nice to hear that from someone I call a friend, because it means I'm doing a fairly good job at being a tomboy, lol.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think they're/you're awesome! Not sure what others think, but assume some might not understand or feel uncomfortable with it?

My example was at women who say, "I was a tomboy growing up" or "as a kid". If you're an adult, then yeah, you might be a "boy" for life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Ruby Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose you're right in saying I'll be a (tom)boy for life :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I never quite liked when my mom dressed me up in skirts or dresses growing up. I distinctly remember the one conversation I had with our neighbour's child. I told her that I like dressing like a boy (meaning, shorts and t-shirts) and that I'm going to cut my hair like a boy's (I went through phases of long hair/short hair growing up, and even as an adult). I think though that I'd stick with short hair. It's just so much less hassle in the mornings, and dries within minutes, whereas long hair (if left to air dry) can take hours. I used to always wear my hair in a ponytail anyway, so might as well just chop 'em short and be done, lol. Besides, I've got a semicolon tattoo behind my ear now that is best shown off with short hair. So that's also a bit of motivation to keep it short. Requires more regular trips to the salon though to keep it short, but so worth it. I used to only go every 6 or so months when I had long hair, just to trim the ends. I like my short hair, and I'm doing something I never would've considered doing: I dye my hair (intense auburn). People say it suits me, because I have green eyes. I tend to agree with them ;p

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only considered myself a tomboy because I dislike make up, skirts, dresses, and prefer doing guyish things like video games. I also either get along better with men or women who have a boyish way of thinking.

But there are girly things about me. I have long hair and I only drink girly alcohol. It's hard for anyone to be 100% I think, but I do relate less to girly girls overall.

7. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don’t really call myself a tomboy but I’m not very girly so try to avoid wearing dresses, heels and makeup etc and much prefer wearing more casual clothes but do like things fitted but not girly and frilly. Always had my hair in a bob until recently, it’s now very short. So much easier. Don’t really drink or like guy sports or cars etc but like keeping fit and active in general. Don’t think I get on with guys better but girly girls do intimidate me a little.

8. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They intimidate me as well and always have. I always thought it was because I wanted so badly to be liked and accepted by them, but now I am starting to realize there is more too it than that.

As for the original topic, I was a pretty rough and tumble kind of kid growing up. I was always climbing something or racing my bike down some contraption my friends and I had hastily built. I never really wanted to play house or had any interest in dolls. I was much happier outside looking for bugs. Then as I got older, I tried to convince myself that I liked "girly" things but I was never comfortable living that way. Now, I am back to having a short pixie cut, tattoos, and enough zipper hoodies to last a life time. I prefer to spend my weekends playing video games and only do my shopping online. I love a good craft beer and have my motorcycle license. I am sure there are plenty of girls that would not call themselves "tom boys" and still fit my description, but for me the label works and I wear it proudly.

9. Woodswoman

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply put, to me a tomboy can be described as a female who's willing to take on a 'tough' task, and doesn't immediately resign herself to being unable to do it because there's a male around. A female who's not afraid to get dirty and who is unapologetically herself despite the (fading) societal norms of what's expected of females.
    Tomboy can refer to any female regardless of sexuality I think.

10. Loves books

I don't wear dresses or skirts. I don't wear pink or anything frilly or really girly. I don't wear make up at all. I only paint my nails to peel it off. I love superhero movies and tv shows. I consider myself a tomboy but I'm not overly boyish. I have long hair because I don't have the patience to do anything with it so its ina low ponytail everyday. I always wear jeans and t shirts I own no trousers that are not jeans.

11. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I used to get called a tomboy because
    Hated dresses
    Hated girly stuff
    Liked climbing trees and rocks and pretty much whatever I could get away with
    Had mostly male friends
    Liked 'guy' t.v shows, films and books and hated romance
    Wore very plain clothes, usually very practical
    But as I got older I'm not so sure now
    Like dresses but only wear for occasions not casually
    Still wear mainly plain guy clothes
    Still like climbing stuff and am known for being inelegant
    Have mostly female shows
    Like 'guy' but also some 'girl' shows, though all my favourite shows have someone dying in episode one, and same with books and films, they're still all very action based.
    Hate soppy romance, but like if badass and do enjoy shipping people.

12. junebug99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So do I. I think we both rock! Especially the tattoos!