1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Boy Scouts to admit girls into programs

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kibou97, Oct 11, 2017.

1. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/354944-boy-scouts-to-admit-girls-into-programs

"The organization’s board of directors unanimously voted to let girls into the Cub Scout program and create a program for older girls to allow them to become Eagle Scouts, their highest rank, the group said in a release.

Girls will be allowed to join the Cub Scouts in 2018, and the program for Eagle Scouts is projected to begin in 2019, according to the release. Cub Scout dens will each remain single-gender, either all-girls or all-boys."

I think this is a really good idea and am glad to see they will finally allow anyone to join the main program (There's been a side program called venture scouts for a while now that allowed boys and girls to join). As an Eagle Scout myself, I applaud them for allowing everybody to have the same opportunities that I've had. The only thing is that now it shouldn't really be called "Boy Scouts" anymore since it's not exclusive to boys.

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So progressive! This is great. :blush:

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can we just call it Scouts and be done?

I think this is great btw.

4. urien1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It sounds like a wonderful idea. Very progressive. I only wish that the Girl Scouts were as open minded. Maybe there's hope for a unified organization simply called "Scouts"?

5. urien1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Took the words outta my mouth. I wish I'd seen this before I posted lol

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like the idea.

But since their numbers are dwindling, maybe this is a secret way to boost teen pregnancy, and thus, have more scouts! Kidding, but I imagine some of the folks against this are going to worry about there being more sexual activity, and such. Geez, I had a huge crush on my friend in boy scouts, but nothing ever happened : (

7. Ryu

Ryu

Fuck me... It's called 'boy' scouts for a reason! I don't care if it's progressive or not, it goes against the whole idea of the organisation!

8. Aven

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it?
    According to the mission statement on their site:

https://www.scout.org/mission

"The Mission of Scouting is to contribute to the education of young people, through a value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better world where people are self-fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society"

There is absolutely nothing gender specific about their mission statement or vision. In fact their vision includes an entire section on diversity and inclusion ☺️

I think it's a good thing. However I also recognise that boys and girls are different and that we need to be mindful that we don't end up neglecting and ignoring these differences, ensuring that there are supportive and meaningful spaces and groups available for people to be able to explore and embrace these differences.

As a kid I always wanted to join the boy scouts lol. It always seemed like more fun that the Girl scouts ☺️☺️

9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm kinda on the fence, because I did enjoy scouting. My sister tried the girl scout thing, but hated it cause they didn't do all the stuff we did. Like the camping and life skills stuff.

So I guess maybe I would have liked to see the girl scouts adopt more of the boy scouts activities and skills than just merge the two.

10. amylase

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have girl scout friends who do go camping, so I guess the experiences depend on who you ask. If there's equal opportunity in both groups, I think there's no problem in organization.

11. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ewwwww....girls!!?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12. Rusty010

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aren't there already girl scouts? I mean it makes sense in terms of privacy and practicality to have the same concept just have the genders separated, without even bringing up the whole changing rooms issue and the chances of teen pregnancy (I was in a youth group for a bit and I heard some weird shit coming from the bathroom, ok?) the boys will develop far more strength and act like a bunch of nutjobs while the girls will develop less muscle and be calmer (this stuff is just how puberty works, there are exceptions to every rule, I'm not trying to force anyone into any role based on gender) this means that depending in the task one group will always hold back the other, seriously as "progressive" as this is it is ridiculously impractical

13. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See I'm all for progressiveness and equal rights. But then either boys should also be allowed in the Girl Scouts to make it fair or both organizations should be disbanded, and a new uni-sex "Scouts" organization should be created. Either way keep selling Girl Scout cookies, or in this case "Scout cookies" because they are delicious!

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm in agreement with the idea of simply having a unified "Scouts of America" for several reasons.

1. Gets rid of the notion that only boys do the woods/nature stuff and only girls do the arts and crafts, as well as mitigates gender roles based off those.

2. Cookies AND popcorn!

3. It just sounds so much more upstanding. "I'm a SCOUT" gets rid of the infantilism and likely lets kids feel even more in control of their own lives.

4. A lot of people see scout organizations as a precursor to the military. If we can teach everyone to control themselves while in younger years, then it's all the clearer socially and easier to make a possible transition into a unisex military where people don't get freaked out by trans members.

5. There are also a lot of differences between troops. And I'm all for that kind of diversity, but if kids can get a general idea of doing both indoor and outdoor activities while also providing key skills for themselves, then when a family moves, there's not as much anxiety over what troop is doing what, and it's easier for the kid to pick right back up.

#14 Jinkies, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. bruh

bruh Guest

so, we're just gonna ignore the first word in 'Boy Scouts' and 'Girl Scouts'?

16. Elisten

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking as someone who was a camp program director and assistant scoutmaster in the BSA, the benefit here is for families that have boys and girls, but only have the time to do one program. I worked in a cub scout pack where a family with two boys and one girl went, and the girl did everything anyway as a 'mascot'. Because of the involvement of her older brothers, there was no time for her to be taken to a girl scout program. This way, she's able to do the same things she already was, but can now earn the badges for it too.

17. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why not just improve girl scouts though? Girl scouts exist.

18. Kyrielles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They should merge, like some above users mentioned. The program would be way larger and more inclusive for everyone, because honestly the boys kind of got left out of this one. I am super happy about this slow progression though.

19. smee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I doubt that they will merge. Too many people in both organizations would have to give up their part of the whole. Honestly, I wish the Girl Scouts would bring back more camping. I grew up camping and boating with the Girl Scouts, and I got a lot out of being in the group and having leaders who would ->think<- and not just try to hammer through things. My old leaders regret that their council doesn't do outdoor activities like they used to.

I think that the underlying story is that the Mormons are finally pulling out of Scouts. Ten years ago, when I was a den leader, roughly 20-25 percent of Scouts were LDS, and 40 percent of Scout troops were Mormon run and used for youth development. The LDS wouldn't allow LGBTQ or girl Scouts (not that it really mattered to our troop.) I think (or hope) that Scouting USA finally saw the writing on the wall and realized that they needed to change, and the Mormons are leaving (Bye!)