1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you "out" to your therapists/psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geek, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Been struggling for 4 years coming but i'm finally going to make a psychiatrist appointment. I'm curious: for those of you in the closet, are you out to your mental health professionals? If you don't see someone for mental health, are there any professionals that you've outed yourself to?

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my psychiatrist, but not my therapist. I am still mustering up the courage to come out to my therapist (counselling psychologist). I guess in time, I will become more comfortable with her and then find the courage to come out to her, but for now, I'm in the closet with her. In general, I am out to everyone.

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I had one, yeah.

It gives them a more complete picture, which helps them help you.

4. Maya100

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm out to my therapist, my nurse and my psychiatrist. I never said to them 'I'm a lesbian' or 'I'm gay', I was just in the hospital and asked if I had a partner and I did and she just happened to a girl, so I came out that way. She was allowed to visit like any other partner would and later on came to support meetings/therapy appointments with me if I needed her.

#4 Maya100, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  5. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to my therapist a while back and I don't regret it. It's nice to have someone to talk about that kind of stuff with, since I'm too anxiety-ridden to really openly talk about it with my friends.

6. jenne

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i
    i wish i had a therapist to talk to about this because i will never tell my friends and family.. i'm too nervous!!

7. Lia444

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes sort of, as that's the reason I wanted therapy, to discuss my sexuality, as well as other things. Think it's best to lay everything out there early on as the more they know the more they can help

8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I do it as soon as possible. I see no point in hiding.

9. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was seeing a therapist (I quit this week) I came out to her. The first thing she did was set me up for a psychological evaluation. Because apparently, being transgender is a severe mental disease.

I've seen several therapists in my life, and not one of them was trustworthy. That's why I've been to so many.

10. Maya100

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I'm so sorry. I'm so glad you quit seeing her. She needs the mental evaluation!

11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well admitting you'd like to see a therapist is a huge part of the battle.

12. Loves books

I saw a therapist for about 3 sessions. I outed myself day one she wasn't allowed tell anyone.

13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, because it isn't really relevant to the help I need so she doesn't need to know.

14. Embi

Embi Guest

No. I don't feel very comfortable with my therapist, she's so bossy and I feel like a nuisance when I'm with her. So I told her I want to quit. There are four sessions left and I'm so glad when they're finally over. But I feel like I need a therapist, which is annoying as I'd have to find one and potentially be disappointed again :/

15. Cinnamon Bunny

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good on you for seeking out help Geek :slight_smile:

I told my last therapist about my sexuality early on. I didn't start therapy because of sexuality, but I wanted to make sure my therapist was accepting of me before I invested time. Even though I knew she welcomed lgbt clients, but I guess you could say I have trust issues lol. It was also just helpful to come out to someone and nothing bad happen. So I feel a bit more confident having done it. Things did not work out with my last therapist though so I'm looking for a new one. I think next time though, I won't bring sexuality up as a seperate point. If relationships come up I might mention something about "girls". Otherwise I'd rather focus on other things during therapy.

16. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes with my sexuality, no with my gender.

17. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My therapist know about my sexuality, She asked about my gender but my family was with me so I didn't say anything due to still being in the closet with that.

18. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a session with my therapist this morning, and I guess I sort-of came out to her.
    I wear a Superman (or Supergirl if you will) dog tag necklace, which I bought last year at my first Pride. My therapist (only now) saw the necklace and asked me where I got it from. I didn't lie. I told her that I bought it at Pride. She didn't clearly hear me (I mumbled a bit, oops) so I said, it's a festival for LGBT people to get together and celebrate their sexualities. By this time, I knew that she has to now know at least that I'm a part of the LGBT community in some way. Hopefully she will bring up the topic in our next session, then I can fully come out to her, yay!

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, that's how I met my therapist actually. I had just publicly come out and unfortunately that did not go over well with my family, so I sought out counseling to deal with it. The first thing he thought though was that I was MTF but, oh boy, no you have it the other way around. I was surprised though that there was any confusion - I tend to think I don't pass too well. But yes, my therapist is amazing and has been immensely supportive and helpful.

20. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh my god, way too many years ago when my parents realized I'm "Not like other little boys" and "Acts way too much like a little girl" off the the therapist I went.
    Mind you I was raised strict Roman Catholic and by Therapist I mean a Catholic nun with a Psychology Degree working for Catholic Social Services.
    What I received for "Therapy" was two years of guilt-angst-anger-belittlement-abuse and ultimately a therapist giving up and declaring me "Incorrigible"
    Mind you all this came AFTER a doctor asked me if I wanted him to "cut my penis off" and injections of testosterone booster shots that would "Make him act like a real little boy"
    So what did therapy do for me?
    It made me realize I can never be a real girl though even at that time the procedures and skill set were in place and practiced by much more open minded compassionate medical professionals than employed by religiously guided hospitals of that era and an acceptably pleasing transition could have been performed had my parents the money for such an operation which they did not, and even though emotionally and how I think is pure high grade female THAT option was never going to happen so I will be and have always been a receptive effeminate homosexual and no matter how hard they try, even if they kill me and burn me in a furnace, the straighties are never going to change that fact.
    I am who I am and I like who I am.