1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion inspiration for trans men or masculine-dressing folks?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alder, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For most my days I wear really the same things; button up shirts, t shirts, jeans, hoodies, the usual get ups.

I try to look to some celebrities or whatever for some clothing inspiration but it's usually the same kind of thing.

Wondering if anyone who likes to dress more masculinely has any inspiration/ideas/photos for what to wear, or anyone they particularly look up to in terms of dress?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really inspired by David Bowie and love his sense of style. But he did mess around with androgyny as well, don't know if you're into that.

3. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm definitely into androgyny as well. I think my tastes generally fall between androgyny - fairly masculine, that kind of area. On an off topic note, it's nice to see you again on here, it's been a while.

4. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Check instagram! Usually the business sites have some modern and fashionable stuff too.

Or get a leather jacket. Those are always great.

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I window shop in the mall.

A shirt plus a sweater over it, or a cardigan. That's on the smarter casual side. If you want to dress it up a little bit, you can add a necktie. Blazers. Bomber jackets. Military type of stuff is always great. Plaid shirts. Band tees. Chinos. Cargos. Denim jackets. A good looking belt can finish the look, shoes too. A watch. A waistcoat. As for shirts, you look cooler if you roll your sleeves up and unbutton the couple of top buttons. Leather jacket are great, but Anthracite already mentioned it.

#5 Mihael, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Sebby45 likes this.
  6. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like colours. Bright colours make others happier too. Before transitioning medically I usually wore just brown, black and blue because I just wanted to blend in and disappear but since I don't want to hide anymore I tend to buy more colourful things. If some colours mix in nature they can mix in my clothing. I think about birds, fish, plants and the sky. I like colours a lot. You just have to be careful with colours if you don't want to look like a child.

Other than that I wear basic things and I am stuck in early 2000's and 90's. Some of my clothing actually is from that time. I haven't grown much since then. Sometimes I look like a hobo. Some inspiration would be great for me too. Especially on short and small looking men. There is no use looking at tall and muscular models.

Hair is tricky too if you want to pass as male or if you just want to have great hair. I cut my hair myself and it's been tough to find a good haircut. I keep it as angular as possible and always longer on the top and shorter on the sides. I always cut the "sideburns" straight and blunt (I am bad at explaining things today). Women keep them more spiky and wild. The sideburn part makes a big difference. A stripe of colour is ok but I have noticed that coloured hair usually looks more feminine. Of course it depends on what you want and so on. I don't know about curly or kinky hair though. I have no experience other than I would like to have what I don't have.

Some feminine items can also make you look more masculine. When I could usually pass as male maybe 70% of the time I noticed that if I put on a single big ear jewellery thing I could pass almost 100%. The rest of me looked more masculine I guess. I had a big wooden bird ear thing. I think it made my neck look more masculine. This won't maybe work if you have been gifted with a long swan like neck. I think the jewellery didn't really help me to look like the guy next door but who cares? Just keep it simple. A single but noticeable dangly ear ring, wood, bone, nothing too complicated. Colourful but not glittery. A "diamond" on one ear does it too.

Speaking of jewellery I like practical acessories. Like paracord bracelets, small compasses, watches and so on. My friend had a locket that had all her health information in it. It was made for that and had a unisex look. I wish I would have gotten one. This was, I think, 10 years ago. Still a great idea. Wear your blood type or something.

If you wear a binder and/or are not completely flat layers help a lot. I have been there. I wore a lot of layers and the top layer was something with buttons or a zipper. I kept about 1/3 of the length of the top shirt or hoodie or whatever open. It helped with hiding the lumps.