1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that something happens after death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jon99, Jun 29, 2017.

1. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is exactly why I am agnostic
    I'm not so full of myself to shout out "There is NO GOD!" nor to believe there is anything more it intends for us rather than the one life and the ability to make conscientious choices that we were given.

#61 JaimeGaye, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha, this is going to piss off a lot of die hard atheists and believers on the site.

3. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it's the truth
    My truth anyway...

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Men have spent their entire lives, for thousands of years, searching for the truth.

Some might find my position wishy washy, but I prefer not to make huge choices without enough information, you know?

5. JaimeGaye

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Spock summed it up best with "That would be illogical."

6. Tallen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a gardener, in the fall I collect seeds from my favorite plants, when the cold comes the original plants die but in a sense they are still alive inside the seed I collected, when spring arrives I plant the seeds and new plants emerge. Other plants I take cuttings, their stems are severed from the mother plant and they would die but having knowledge concerning the cuttings I am able to create new plants and life continues. I believe human life continues just as the plant world continues to re-live. I was raised as a Christian and I believe what the Bible says about the eternal soul, our life force continues in some form. I cant prove my beliefs and many oppose the Bible but other religions aside from Christianity also have a form of after life and those beliefs have had to have some sort of merit other than superstition and I believe the plant world gives us enough evidence to place faith in a continuance of our own personal life after death just as the caterpillar transforms into a beautiful butterfly.

7. loepis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any opinion on what happens after death. While I like the idea of reincarnation, I do question the amount of energy release will not be equal of energy return because human population keeps on increasing.
    Actually, after reading one of the posters that we turn into one of the stars is somewhat poetic for me. As there is an evidence that the universe is expanding and it kinda supports the postulation.

#67 loepis, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe something happens, because I can't see how consciousness just arises from nothing only to vanish afterwards. If nothing is created and nothing is lost, then our consciousness needs to go somewhere. My guess would be reincarnation, but there's no way to know for sure.

Plus, there's been so many instances of near death experiences where people describe things they shouldn't have been able to know. I don't think it just ends, no. That doesn't make me a theist, though.

9. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope, I think we die and that's all

10. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do not believe in God, nor heaven and hell, ghosts, alternate universes, reincarnation, angels and demons, whatever else. We just die. I was a Christian four times, born-again but I'm never going back again. I won't go into detail here because I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say but I have very strong views after my experiences with religion.

11. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Beautifully said :slight_smile:

12. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, that is exactly my point of view

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I did, it would be real a real comfort if I could. I mean, I'd love to believe in Heaven, or even reincarnation, and yet all I see death is as decay, dissolution, the end of the self, and being re-assimilated into all these other things so that you no longer have any consciousness, and are dead, gone, finished.

Its funny, I get depressed, thinking of death, and how its coming up, and then, at times, when I'm really, really depressed and see no way out, I just sort of want to get it over with, to see what happens, on top of everything else that fuels my urges to pull the plug.

So on one hand, this fear of death acts like a brake on suicidal impulses/plans, and on the other hand, makes me want to see what happens.

But I think of death an awful lot.

#73 HuskyPup, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. Aesthcore

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly, I believe the 'afterlife' has the possibility to be one, or even multiple, among many options of what the afterlife may be like/what may occur after death. Reincarnation, spirits, go to a haven-like place (or maybe possibly the opposite of a haven), or simply no longer exist.

I do not believe in a "God", but I do believe in entities that can be akin to angels/demons.
    I don't think Heaven/Hell actually exist. But, that said, I do think karmic repercussions likely occur in the afterlife - though whether or not that may take form of an actual place similar to Heaven and/or Hell, or if it takes form in some other way/thing, I'm not certain on. It likely can be either: a place or something else. Just dependent on the soul, or something else, and what method would work best as karma.

15. Blackangel

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe there is something after life. To me death is only the beginning. I'm not going to get into a lot of specifics of what I personally believe, unless there is someone that really wants to know.

Whether it's reincarnation, heaven/hell (open to interpretation), being a ghost, or something else, I can't say. My wife believes that there is something after death, and whatever you believe you are going to that's where you go.

My father believed that we live our own personal Hell here in this life on earth, and that when we die there is only one place left to go.

To me we are in a waiting room. We spend our time doing our interests, until our number is called. When it's called, this body is shelved and we go on to our next errand/appointment/adventure or however you prefer to define it.

I do also believe that there is a specific place you can get to, if you have the money to pay the ferryman to get across the river.

#75 Blackangel, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017