1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating healthier & working out

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hawk, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wanting to eat healthier and work out for a while now, and whenever I try to start I end up failing after a couple days. I know lots of people take it slow and ease into it. If anyone has any starter suggestions with eating healthier and some beginner/at home workouts or anything would be great. I just want to continue it and not quit after two days like I usually do?

2. Really

What sort of shape are you in now? Do you like to go for long walks? Or jogging? Or do you prefer to play sports? Individual like tennis and swimming or team like soccer and softball?

I think the key is to pick something you're interested in getting better at whether it's picking a learn to run 5k/10k program and start nice and easy or joining a sports club or meetup that has regular games/practices that will keep you coming back. A big part of sticking with it is not overdoing it. Make sure every other day is a rest day to start with until you're in the swing of it and then slowly add different activities on those alternate days, always leaving one rest day per week. Your body will thank you. :}

As for eating healthier, my suggestion would be to learn to cook if you don't already. It will give you a much better appreciation for what you're eating and you'll naturally gravitate towards healthier choices because if you cook from scratch, they're the easiest to make. :wink:

Hawk likes this.
  3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd honestly just like to get more 'fit', I'd love to join a team, but there's no teams in my area for adults, and I'm too busy for any of the University teams. I feel like right now I may just go for runs/jogs.

Thanks.

4. Really

@Hawk , that's how I started. I downloaded a Couch to 5k podcast and just started doing it. It was really good because you can go at your own pace. The idea is to run each "week" of the podcast three times and move on but if you don't feel ready, you just repeat it until you are. I had to do that a couple of times but today I'm running 10k races and actually thinking I might like to train for a half marathon - which is crazy! It has become a bit addictive. Haha.

Anyway, if you'd like some help, just let me know.

5. confuzz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dietary changes need to be slow and gradual, don't change too much at once because you will not be able to stick to it. As far as exercise, I like going to the gym and find that enjoyable, I had friends that went there but I talk with the staff as well. Having a little socialization helps and makes you want to go back. I think having that social aspect in general helps when you're first starting off.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I am horrible with eating healthy but it is easier if you cook meals you like. Experiment a little and they may become your favourite.

My workout went far better. I'm into lifting and got myself dumbbells with adjustable weight. Look into some exercises and challenge yourself. I used to do 15min workout each day, but feel free to do them longer when having fun. Check which muscle groups you'd like to develop.

7. Aure

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am in the same situation. Eating healthier is not a problem but practising regular exercise is getting really hard. I recommend walking or working out in machines like first step. I consider it's not as difficult as cardio exercises, for example.
    I am doing cardio exercises by youtube and it's really very difficult to hold on but I have to do it. Maybe it is not always perfect but at least I continue doing it.