1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a teetotaler?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jul 23, 2017.

1. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has is says Date in the sentence I hope it would be all right to put this here. I would like to tell people I am going on a date tomorrow after meeting someone online. I have telled mental health worker And they say it will be good for me. And if leads to having a boyfriend that would be wonderful and if not it's the beginning of trying to date and find a boyfriend. But I am nerves has this the first time I have been on date ever. He is polite and a real gentleman. And caring well he does work in national health service. And he romantic in the sense like me. I just would like peoples opinion on what to talk about he does say when we talk on Facebook he finds me really good to talk to and he has laugh with me but thats online it might be different for me in person has I have atypical autism which is high function which you can’t tell from looking at me. And also I would like to know who pays for the meal has it Italian food it will be expensive. He did say too if we like each other we can go for a walk around the city centre too which I find really nice too.

2. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would. I am a teetotaler myself. :slight_smile:

3. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure, since I don't drink very often. I would actually prefer to date someone who isn't big into drinking (which often comes with interest in clubbing/bar scene, which is a no go for me).

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I very rarely drink now. I think the last time was during Eurovision. :slight_smile: Even then it was only two glasses of Cider.

I absolutely cannot risk even a trace of alcohol in my system when I'm at work, so that's one of the main reasons why I rarely drink. The other is because too much alcohol depresses my mood very seriously and I really have no desire to put myself through that. So, to answer the question, I'd be very happy with a teetotaller.

#44 PatrickUK, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  5. Flowey

If they are fine with me using alcohol for cooking?
    Like Austin, I also enjoy feeling relaxed after a few sip, loosen up those social inhibitions.

6. LostLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care if they don't drink, as long as they don't care that I drink :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :grin:

I don't drink as much as I used too, but I still like getting drunk from time to time with friends.

7. Taraeos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really drink, (I can probably count the number of drinks I have each year on one hand) mostly because I just hate the taste of most alcohol, so I definitely would.

As for anyone who wouldn't date ME because of how little I drink, then I don't want to date them anyway. If alcohol is THAT important to social interaction then I think their priorities are somewhat off..

8. spaceintime2032

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn’t care if they don’t drink at all. But if they don’t like it if I drink alcohol which just a few times every month they can do one.

9. matty79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Whenever someone offers me a drink I make an X with my arms in front of me and say "I'm straight edge bitch!" Sometimes they think its funny, sometimes they think I'm nuts. Seriously though I don't drink, I've had about three sips of stuff my wife was drinking in the last few years and it's always aggrivated her off that I don't drink.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend doesn't drink alcohol. It has never been a problem.

11. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for your replies guys :slight_smile:. After reading your answers, I have realised that teetotalism is not an issue in dating at all . :slight_smile:

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like to drink (althought i do it rarely, because of money, health and opportunity - i prefer to drink with my friends, when we cook something for example, as i don't like common parties). But that's me. I don't care if the person i'm dating drinks or not.

If he/she does, we can drink together sometimes, and make a few drinks, maybe.

If he/she doesn't, we can drink together sometimes with something without alcohol, and make a few drinks without alcohol, maybe.

If someone thinks that alcohol (in moderate amounts) makes a difference in dating, i wouldn't want to date that person, even if i like to drink.

Cigarettes are a problem. Alcohol in excess is a problem. Alcohol in moderation or lack of it in the cup that my SO is holding makes no difference to me.

On a side note, alcohol for cooking is quite nice if you know what you are doing. Here in Brazil, we like to add cachaça to in some dishes (like in pastéis). You don't feel the taste of alcohol, but in small amounts it helps to make the food more crispy. :slight_smile:

#52 Chiroptera, Aug 5, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  13. Hillary B

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a really nice attitude.

14. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn, I feel dumb. I mixed up 'teetotaler' with 'teapartier'. Yes, I would date someone who doesn't drink. I don't drink either so, I definitely wouldn't have any problems with it!

15. Lizz10

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    yeah, i focus more on personality rather than things like weather they drink alcohol or what religion they are, i don't really care

16. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't drink so I don't really care. I don't know if I like the word teetotaler though because it just makes me think of the tea party. I just say I don't drink.

17. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also mixed it up. I would probably be confused if someone called themselves that because it seems like an unnecessary label but again I don't have any issues with it.

18. timo

With the risk of sounding like a total bitch, I have to be honest - no, I wouldn't.

Being a borderline alcoholic* I would have a hard time being with someone who doesn't drink at all. Part bc I like my drink, but also bc craft beer is one of my hobbies/passions and I really want to share that with my partner.

*) I know I should drink less, but I don't feel bad about it. I can def spend a while without alcohol but I just like a good craft beer too much.

19. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not know teetotal meant that. Growing up in South I have always heard the saying "a teetotal mess", so I always took it to mean complete and total. Oh well, learn something new everyday, but still not calling myself that.

But of course I would date a person that doesn't drink since I don't drink anyway.

20. Grace24601

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely would, I've never understood why people feel the need to drink alcohol. It would take a lot of pressure off me if the other person didn't drink.