1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Victories

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kasey, Dec 11, 2014.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    here is fine sweetie, if your manager is ok with things you could do what you can at work, and let your mom grow to accept it, eventually she will have to when the changes get totally evident, like full boobs, hips, bum and your face and skin. your dad will have to deal with it too. it's your life and no one can live it for you. HUGS

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so it's been a hectic week, but on thursday my regional manager emailed that she wanted to talk and i could i drop down to her office. wondering whats up and this is quite unusual, i should note that im out to her and she's very accepting and supportive. so, she wanted to touch base on how im doing with my transition and what my plans are for coming out. she did ask for some notice before i come out, especially at work as she wants to have some time to talk with staff, some in particular as to whats expected in the department with regard to respectful work place, and inclusion in the work place. i suggested that in addition to that a full presentation on trans issues and what it means to be trans, the things we face etc. i suggested a good presenter, or if she cant do it she would know someone who can do it. so yeah pretty big thing for me to have the support of her and upper management.

3. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I don't think makeup and girl's clothes will go over well at all with them, they probably will kick me out for trying(I'm planning on leaving soon anyway), so It'll be really hard to look the part at work while hiding it at home. I'm also pretty sure the changes ARE becoming evident. I've had to deflect a question about my breasts yesterday(I told him I have gynecomastia and wasn't wearing my binder because it's so hot and I need a new one. He bought it) and one girl made a comment about how nice and round my butt is(it was meant to be endearing like "Oh you have a cute butt!). I only hope to be here another month.

*Post on my wall if you want to respond, let's not clutter the thread.

4. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One of the perks to working in the grocery industry, at least for my particular employer, is that they don't really seem to care how you present. You show up on time, you wear your uniform, you do what you're asked to do, and they pretty much leave you alone. It's the place where I can present most as myself.

About two months ago, for my birthday, I got my hair done professionally. Blown out straight. Looked amazing, and the next day at work I got called ma'am 5 times (which was amazing, too!) The weird thing is that in the time since then that has hardly ever happened again. No matter how much effort I put into how I present, or even when my hair was straight again, it was still "Excuse me, sir?"

Two weeks ago they finally got around to giving me the apron that I'm supposed to wear as part of my uniform. It's not distinctively masculine or feminine. They give the same thing to everybody. It's just black with a few pockets and the company logo.

Anyways, in the 10 days or so that I've worked since then, I've been called ma'am or miss at least 3-4 times A DAY (and sometimes more). I've gotten dozens of those double-takes that say "Oops, I thought you were a woman" (which I actually don't mind) and I even had one older gentleman come up to me and use the feminine version of my masculine name. That name is on my name tag plain as day and he still went with the feminine form. And of course my response was, "Huh?"

Other than the apron I still present exactly the same as I did before. I don't know what it is about the apron, but I like the results!

Mihael, Enea, BrookeVL and 1 other person like this.
  5. 13Matthias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to one of my friends about 2/3 years ago but said that because I wasn't sure I was comfortable being called a he, I said that they didn't need to. A short while after I accepted myself, and asked them to start calling me Scott and calling my by he. They have done this without fail ever since, and needless to say some of my classmates were a bit confused. My small victory is that my English teacher (who is my favourite) has caught on and began calling me Scott :grin:

6. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    came out to another friend today, well I showed her my picture. she didn't know me at first. she was so accepting, and I knew she would be. it just felt so great.

Enea likes this.
  7. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The nice moment when you go shopping with your dad and you try on sunglasses for guys :slight_smile:

Enea and looking for me like this.
  8. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to a former coworker who I'm keeping in touch with. She was a manager, and she's super supportive!

looking for me likes this.
  9. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So today i got called by my preferred name, Alex! It was only on twitter, cause i was DM'ing my insurance company cause the phone line was a machine that did not help at all. I used my preferred, 'fake' twitter that has my preferred name as its first name and a fandom name as the rest of it. So when the representative DM'd me back, she called me Alex and idk how else to say this but it just felt right. Like it belonged. But then i had to tell her the name on my card and other contact info stuff so it could be forwarded and i could get help on my issue. Ugh. The next rep then calling me by my real name felt wrong and disappointing and made me feel a little sad. I actually thought that i wished they'd kept calling me by my twitter name.

Kat 5 and looking for me like this.
  10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. the first time I was called Sarah both online and in person was so empowering, so uplifting. going back to ___ seems like such a letdown. or when my son calls me mom at home but we have to do dad everywhere else.

BrookeVL likes this.
  11. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just exploded on the God damn news when trump and the ban came on. I scared my parents with my rage. I don't think they dared interrupt me or question my convictions about that evil fucking tyrant.

You want to know how I feel? That's how. Sick of hiding my feelings. Sick of being shit on. Sick of it all. You will not beat me.

Kira, BrookeVL and looking for me like this.
  12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    id give the devil a break, but this POS has broke this camel's back. now i just want the planet to drop on him, pence et al. i cant use the words i want to here on EC, or anywhere else in even rough society.

13. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't get me started on Trump. I can't even...

14. Austin226

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even in the wake of such a regressive and hateful proposal, there is a small victory to be found. Trump's words and actions may be intended to spread hatred and fear, but he has also sparked an outpouring of support for the trans community by those who are outraged by his ideology. My social media have been filled with words of empowerment and love, people voicing their steadfast support for the trans community, and vows to stand strong in the face of Trump's hatred. Obviously, I wish these positive messages had been given under different circumstances, but it's nice to see so many people being vocal about their support for the trans community and speaking up for our right to be treated with respect.

15. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    in, non-political news. I got a new tanktop style babydoll dress that has real pockets in the skirt and I love it!

16. Ryland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lately my mom has been trying harder to accept the fat that I'm trans, and it's honestly amazing.
    She's letting me buy my new school clothes in the men's section. Also, the other day I was with a friend and we were on our way to go swimming. I swim in a t-shirt and shorts bc of dysphoria, but I was still pretty dysphoric. My friend and I passed a guy walking his dog, so of course we mentioned how cute we thought the dog was. The guy jokingly said, "he only bites girls, so the young fella doesn't have to worry." He nodded towards me, and I don't think I've ever had a stranger make me that happy.
    I've been sir'd a few times recently, but I felt like sharing this I guess.

17. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A coworker/friend of mine(who doesn't know yet that I'm trans) says I look like a British girl. This is after we were talking about hair, and I told her I was growing mine out, even though our boss thinks I'll look like a girl. "You probably will, you have a really feminine face." :grin:

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    little victory, i got a hard cover note book so i can keep track of the stuff i need to get done for my transition and that i need to ask the doctor etc. my memory isnt what it used to be so notes are getting more important.

19. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fully functional pockets in female clothing is a marvel.

20. CluelessCat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I passed at a job interview and got the job as a male! It will be my first job and I start on Wednesday! I'm super excited.