1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got it sooooo bad! Make it stop!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RJay, Jun 18, 2017.

1. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know, guys. We just went for a walk and it was totally normal. Though she did hug me pretty tight. Sigh. She leaves in one week for the Hamptons. I'm going to miss her so much. I suppose I can tell her how sad I am about her leaving.

2. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I know it won't be easy, but maybe some time apart will be beneficial. It might give her the chance to sort things out and maybe finally hopefully things will click.

3. confused40

confused40 Guest

yes I agree with you

4. zumbaqueen

Rjay it's really hard isn't it. When you don't know what the other person is thinking and you want to put yourself out there, but you still hold back because if you don't get the outcome your hoping for you know you will be crushed. Yeah.....I'm right there with ya.

5. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, I'm aware. I've realized it's the typical dynamic in the past friendships in which I was probably in love. Working on that with my therapist. I find helplessness incredibly attractive and alluring, and I have a stereotypically male response to it... a need to rescue the woman and fix her situation. Not the healthiest, but at least I'm aware of it. I've tried to be vulnerable with V too when I'm in a dark or sad place, and she is always super-sweet and supportive and offers me great advice, though obviously my saddest moments lately are directly related to my longing for more of her, and I can't very well talk to her about those. My therapist thinks it might not be so bad to be that kind of person -- the kind that a partner can really lean on for emotional support and strength. She thinks I have a lot to offer, and it might be OK to have that be *one* of the bases for a long-term relationship. She just wants me to make sure that I don't bottle up my own needs in the process.

Speaking of my therapist, she was very helpful today. Her take on the situation is that V is likely feeling a deep affection for and attachment to me and has no intention of letting me go, though she may or may not be in a place *yet* where she can consciously admit she's falling in love with me. She thinks I need to just keep doing what I'm doing for now because in the grand scheme of things, we are still in the early days of the relationship. And it's evolving even without me making a big declaration or making a "move" that would force a conversation about our status. Given where we are both at -- coming to terms with our divorces, etc. -- it is appropriate that it's moving relatively slowly. She thinks the longest-lasting, "realest" relationships evolve slowly and that physical intimacy too early on could interrupt the development of our attachment. She was clear that it's how she sees this *particular* situation and not that early physical intimacy is *always* a bad thing for a long-term relationship. But in this case, she thinks it's better not to rush it. She doesn't see any reason I should despair because she doesn't think V is going anywhere. She wants me to feel all the feelings -- even the painful and frightening ones -- and work on coping mechanisms.

6. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    V just reiterated her intention of having us visit in the Hamptons and is already planning activities for the kids. She is an epic planner and wonderful mom. It should be a fun time as long as I can keep my cool. :slight_smile:

8. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rjay - I think your therapist is doing a wonderful job in helping you rationalise what is in reality a fairly complex situation. I wonder if the move to a 'neutral' area (The Hamptons) may help both of you come to terms with your thoughts for each other. Thinking of you both.

RJay likes this.
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RJay likes this.
  10. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I don't think I am! The only thing I don't open up about is how I feel about her. Otherwise, I let her know when I'm having a hard time, and she is very helpful.

dreamingfreely and silverhalo like this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's cool. So how long until the meet up in the Hamptons?

12. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She hasn't given me the options yet, but I think it's either gotta be 2 weeks or 4 weeks from this weekend.

13. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Our summer camp got shut down by the health department for the rest of the week. (!!!!) V was in a terrible bind since she has to work at least part time. So I watched the kids for a few hours today. When she picked them up, we were standing talking, and I was playing with her hair while she talked to me. God, I am such a goner and an idiot. LOL. I had just been thinking/hoping that I wasn't making V uncomfortable with all my affection, but then she is in front of me, and I can't help it. WHATEVER. I'm not hiding anything.

taical and dreamingfreely like this.
  14. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha playing with her hair. I can't believe you have managed not to kiss her hahaha

dreamingfreely, RJay and Searching1 like this.
  15. zumbaqueen

I was thinking the same thing.

16. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, you guys. Cause as long as I don't do that, I haven't forced the "conversation" to be necessary. As it is, she pretends not to notice stuff like that.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I vote we get tickets to a sports thing because you guys over there love the kiss cam, we just organise the kiss cam on you, job done.

NeonSocks, leb10 and dirtyshirt84 like this.
  18. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hilarious. We are not sports people, haha. I love how she pretends not to notice that I'm touching her and then she nervously picks at her nail polish or something. God, I hope I'm not making her completely uncomfortable. Maybe she just doesn't want to be mean?!

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to give the crowd what they want and RJay you have quite a crowd gathering here haha. Only joking.

I doubt very much you are making her feel uncomfortable because A I think you'd see it in her body language and B she would stop coming back for more.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  20. RJay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's what I'm hoping but I always think people must be barely tolerating my presence. Much less all this gushing.