1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for fun in Provincetown?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MStream, Jul 13, 2017.

1. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope this is appropriate to post here. None of the other areas seemed to suit.

Anyway! I'm off to Provincetown for a 5-day vacation in mid/late August (hooray!). I'm a bi-gender 40-something, shifting back and forth on a regular basis between male and female mode, but I have a lot of influence over my gender and am planning to spend the whole vacation in female mode. I was assigned male at birth, and I don't often get that much uninterrupted time in that side of me.

Anyway, I certainly plan to hit the beach once or twice (though I'm not the kind of person to spend all day on the beach), and I hope to bike around some, and I would love to go dancing at some clubs, and maybe do some shopping, and meet people of any gender, and all that kind of thing. I'm not really interested in drag shows. Do you have any recommendations for great things to do, places to go, places to see, places to shop, people to meet, places to dance, or places to avoid in and around Provincetown? And if you live there or will be vacationing down there around the same time and might want to meet up and say hello, let me know. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ptown is a lot of fun and you will definitely have a great time. First of all, what I would suggest is taking the ferry. Although driving the Cape is a beautiful experience, however in high season the traffic is a hot mess. In all honesty, you don't need a car. The ferry is quite accommodating and very comfortable. Also, very important, PLEASE plan the events for your week's stay. Make sure you Google the schedule prior to booking. Nothing is worse than planning a relaxing vacation and then finding out you made that booking for that B&B during Family Week. However, Bear Week and Carnival is an awesome good time...TRUST ME!!!!!. Talk about the freaks come out at night...haha.

Make sure you go see a show. Its a must. Provincetown is known for its community of artists. Everything from Broadway stars to underground sensations fill the Summer schedule there. I saw the Broadway production of Showgirls and the Dykes of Hazzard. The Crown and Anchor is a good time especially on Wednesdays. They also have and Provincetown magazine that offers options in regards to what's happening entertainment wise as well. Another thing...you are more than likely bound to run into some celebrities there especially on Commercial Street. One more thing...by all means make sure you attend the Tea Dance. You got to do attend this. Its legendary and very notorious to say the least. Majority of the tourists and locals are ready to shake their asses by 4:00 p.m. However, even if you are not into dancing, its still the best place for people watching on a daily basis...you know what I mean!!!!!!...lol...All in all...have a wonderful trip. JS

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PTown is a great spot to be whomever you feel you should be! I am actually here as I type on a week vacation - I have been going annually for a few years.

The entire town is friendly, colourful and open minded. All of the main activity occurs on Commerical street. Just walking up and down commercial is an event in of itself where you will see all the colours of the rainbow and everyone represented.

I would suggest doing a google search for various PTown guides. There is consistency comparing the guides to what is here. A-House, Crown and Anchor, Club Purgatory are some of the clubs and each has different events every night. There is usually a daily T-dance at the boat slip beach club and they have evening events as well. Underground bar, Shipwrecked, Monkey Bar, Macho Bar are some of the bars. After the clubs close, Spiritus Pizza seems to be the place to go and continue to mingle.

There are numerous local and independent restaurants, lots of seafood, but also Italian, American, even Chinese. There are no chain restaurants here. For other evening entertainment, there are numerous theatres and venues that put on music and drag shows - The Art House, Post Office Cabaret, and Crown and Anchor. We saw Bianca Del Rio at the Town Hall this week.

Hope this helps! Have Fun!

4. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it! OnTheHighway, I hope you had a great week. :slight_smile:

5. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just saw some photos from the Tea Dance and wow: wall-to-wall men. I expect to be in female mode for the time I'm in Provincetown, so I'm a little daunted ... maybe I should find other events ... ?

6. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like this is mostly a self-confidence issue, not a gender identity issue, and it might be very helpful for you to get to learn to be more comfortable with both sides of your identity being in situations you aren't necessarily used to.

7. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "I feel like this is mostly a self-confidence issue, not a gender identity issue, and it might be very helpful for you to get to learn to be more comfortable with both sides of your identity being in situations you aren't necessarily used to."

Thanks for your response, Myclosetisfull, and I get why you say that (especially since I used the word "daunted")--but believe me, being a bi-gender/transgender person, I've been getting all kinds of experience going into situations that aren't comfortable. Two days ago, for instance, I went to a tattoo parlor in male mode, in which I always dress pretty conservatively and not to stick out, and had my ears pierced. I was assigned male at birth, but I walk into any kind of situation--LGBTQ-friendly or not--as a woman and just do my best.

I guess my concern is that if the Tea Dance is really meant for men, and it seems to be, then I should probably find another party so as not to barge in. I'm not worried that anyone will mistreat me, just that I'd be a minor disturbance in something that's obviously really enjoyable for a lot of guys. I think it's perfectly appropriate to want to have a party for just men! (And I'd happily go if I were going to be in male mode at all while there.) I saw a few photos in which there were a few people who seemed to be CDs or drag queens, but virtually no biological or trans women.

The only reason I'm going on about this particular event is that it looks like a lot of fun, so if I'm fretting over nothing, it's better for me to figure that out so I can go and and have a good time (as long as I'm not detracting from anyone else's good time). :slight_smile:

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No issues whatsoever. Be whom you want, you will not be alone.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Per my prior post, all of PTown is about being yourself. T-Dance is a particularly broad and open event to everyone. Had I taken photos, you would have seen others there you can relate to. And even if the particular time you go there are none, you will find most people to be pretty relaxed. Now, for some of the more specialized events, not even I would go (and I am pretty open minded, but some things just do not interest me like wearing a singlet :laughing:). There are events suited for people's specific tastes and characteristics. Typically, each venue will reflect on their website what is going on for each night.

10. MStream

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, OnTheHighway. :slight_smile: It sounds like I can just barge in wherever I like and no one is likely to mind ... I'm really looking forward to finally seeing P-Town and meeting some of the people there!

"but some things just do not interest me like wearing a singlet"

Wow, me too: that's a level of bravery that I'll leave to bolder people!