1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone explain/catch me up on some topics?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akira12, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    so trying to google these topics results in...varied answers lol so i thought id come here and ask them. if its the wrong section please move it or tell me so i can make a thread in the correct section...wasn't sure lol. so its been awhile since ive watched the news and i really dont listen to politics ect due in part i can understand them lol. whats the stance on gay marriage today? what about the same rights for gay couples as straight couples? i hate asking that because to me and probably many others it shouldn't even be a freaking question but society...it sucks at times lol. please if you can take the time help me catch up on current issues and where exactly do we stand.....im still debating on am i gay but leaning more to the yes then the no like i was years before but the unknown is what terrifies me.. idk the current state of politics and were we stand as LGBTQ today due to not listening and basically hiding my eyes and ears chanting IM STRAIGHT IM FINE NOTHING IS WRONG mantra lol. also, how do i go about meeting others and possibly getting a relationship whenever i do come out to myself and such? im a horrible recluse and pretty much 2 friends who are husband and wife so i really dont get out much...i need to change that but...fear of the unknown lol sucks sometimes....work in progress of changing myself slowly....anyhow thanks for putting up with my multitude of questions over the years =P and a happy evening to you all!!

2. AKTodd

Gay marriage is legal in all 50 states per the US Supreme Court. Also per the SC gay married couples are to have the same rights as straight married couples. It also just became legal in Germany.

On the flip side, various states (the usual suspects, TX, AL, etc. ) are still trying to get around SC rukiungs, either via various forms of 'religious freedom' laws or by other legal contortions - TX's most recent has been described as an attempt to defy the Supreme Court's ruling. There is also concern in some circles that the Republicans are going to attempt to reverse marriage equality, especially if Trump gets to pick another justice on the Supreme Court. OTOH, I know people who take the approach that if they try that it'll mobilize the LGBT community like crazy and we'll pick up the fight again and not stop until we've kicked their asses.

So, a mixed bag.

I'd suggest things like Meetup.com, or your local LGBT community center or an LGBT friendly church. Also various charities or social activist groups or political campaigns or parties that are LGBT friendly - most of these can use volunteers. A major thing is to consider what you enjoy doing and then trying to find a group or activity that both falls into your comfort zone and seems likely to include other LGBT people.

Go into it looking for friends and contacts rather than just a boyfriend/relationship. That can come in time, but you want to go for ending a given day happy about all the fun you had based on the fun you had - not on whether or not you met a potential mate. If that happens it should be the cherry on top of the experience, not the goal of the experience itself.

Hope this helps,

Todd

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahh okay thanks so much for all that! Do you think it could potentiollay be overruled or is that just a scary possibilitie minor that it may be? And yea Belinda silly to be looking for a potential bf instead need to focus on making friends and the like xD. Thanks so much!