1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dream Home?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Limoriden, Jul 3, 2017.

1. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know it's cliche
    [​IMG]

2. AlastairCH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A house in the most remote part of northern Scandinavia, on a lake.

3. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd love to live in an Adirondack styled home, kinda like this
    upload_2017-7-5_16-50-18.png

4. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is something I think about constantly, but would have difficulty describing. Preferably somewhere in the open country, within reasonable distance of a city and close to various villages, and larger towns where there's a mixture of hillsides (if not mountains) and forests. Less Adirondacks than the downstate, Catskills region (from the minimal knowledge I have of them.)

I would like to have a hand in designing my own home, because there are practical concerns I'd wish to tackle or ideas to try out such as finding means of designing electrical, plumbing, etc. efficiently for easy access, building solar panels directly into (parts of) the roof, and so on; but also matters of personal taste such as my absolute hatred for open concept (I enjoy having separate rooms and wish to create a space where there a variety of them, without being cluttered,) wanting to create a home that's a blend of both traditional aesthetics and architectural principles while absorbing more contemporary, modernist concepts when possible, yardage spacious and open enough for a considerable garden and walking but still feel separate from the world (if not actually so.)

One of the things I frequently 'debate' with myself is whether I prefer a one- or two-story home, actually; enjoying the idea of upper rooms which have more of an aerial view, but sometimes preferring the comfort of a ground-level building (which would have a more developed basement and foundation, presumably.)

So, yeah... >_____>

5. Papa Joey

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I see. I guess if you've live somewhere for a while you can get tired of it ha ha.

6. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Someplace with a couple acres for RC race tracks and dirt bikes. Enough rooms so family can come visit, 3 full baths, room for a pool table and a big covered deck. Plus a 20ftx50ft shop, so I can work on projects and have space to leave stuff partly tore apart or put back together.

7. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm obsessed with ultra modern minimalist homes. Something bold yet understated. With a Scandinavian influence.

Attached Files:

8. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same, but I really like homes with an Asian influence. I tend to really like Frank Lloyed Wright's style, or "prairie style".

9. 18breanna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice, I'm a huge FLW fan!

10. NeonSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I currently live in what I once considered to be my dream home (110 year old rural farm house with plenty of land and room to garden). But 16 year old me is not the same person as 31 year old me.

After college I lived in a very remote part of New Mexico and know that is where my dreams take me.

I would love to live in a small loft cabin in the mountains secluded from the world. I am not one to go to cities often, so would have no problem living far from town. I would want someone special to share the space with but also room for a dog, a garden, access to hiking, and really that would be it for my day to day needs. I would also need a spot for my porch swing so I can watch the sunset/sunrise or look at the night sky in the mountains. (Having experienced that first hand, I can honestly say it is breathtaking).

11. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already live in the forest in a nice A frame house. I have privacy and it is quiet most of the time. There is a river about 15 mins away and the weather in the summer is amazing. In the winter is snows and is so cozy.
    Sounds perfect right?
    Well it would be if I didn't have to drive a couple hours to be in a decent city. There is a major lack of places to eat or things to do outside of outdoor activities.

My dream home would be a nice place near the beach in southern CA. Bright light sunny and cheery!
    I want the weather, the people, the conveniences and the vibe.

12. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    TREE HOGWARTS!!!!
    upload_2017-7-7_19-27-36.png upload_2017-7-7_19-27-50.png

13. Barbatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  14. AlastairCH

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I frankly don't really permit myself to think about dream home too much. It's too depressing at times, and too hard imagining having even better than I have now, let alone a dream come true...

Furthermore, I don't have much in the line of rigid details. At times, I think living in a rural setting might be best. At other times, I think living in big city. Then, I think (practically) that someplace semi-rural with easy access to a major city might be nice.

I also struggle on location. I have spent most of my life in western Washington. Sometimes, I think I'd like to live someplace else. Someplace different. And also with a lower cost of living, and away from the damp cold of winter. I have toyed with the Midwest, where I have extended family--but I shudder at the thought of the winters.

I flip flop on yard issues. I hate yard work, and, at times, think the best match might be apartment/condo living. But I have sometimes thought I'd like a small vegetable garden. I can also see a model of a yard that is allowed to go native, although that would be a poor match for many neighborhoods.

I like having trees around--I've lived several times in semi-wooded places, and like it.

As for the home itself, I'd like something built in the early 20th century. I have always liked homes from that era, particularly ones influenced by Arts and Crafts design. Possibly this is influenced by the fact that we lived in such a house when I was very, very young. I have much less enthusiasm for 1950s and later construction, such as the house I spent most of my childhood in.

A lot, though, depends on life circumstances... I suppose if I met Mr. Right (something else I can't imagine...), and he was stuck with a modern house in a development (which is about the last thing I'd want), I'd be able to make peace with the situation.

16. Koizee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Scratch my last post, I'd love to live here

#36 Koizee, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  17. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Any place with a tropical conservatory preferably one that i need to plant.

18. RedTrekkie95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd love a flat/ apartment somewhere high up (at least the 20th floor). I'd have a view of the city from a spacious living room/ dining room/ kitchen space (all in one). One of those fancy showers where water comes out from all different sides, maybe with a built-in radio and dimmable lighting. Obviously someone to live with. But you can't forget the fancy shower cabin, that's the most important. And maybe a waterbed and a hot tub. And a fallout room for various emergencies. And a nice fireplace where I could cuddle up to my man and watch the big TV that's mounted on the wall above the fireplace. God, I really want that shower now.