1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you believe that something happens after death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jon99, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One more article here.

OK, I'll stop now. :slight_smile:

Patrick

3. AfraidandAlone

Yes, for the simple answer. There are far to many stories of young children ( too young to understand concepts like reincarnation death and stuff like that yet) who tell in vivid detail how they died in their last life. There have even been accounts (proven true) of children catching the person who murdered them in their last life. One I can think of off the top of my head was a little boy in India, he was about 4 with a very distinctive birth mark on the back of his head, almost looked like it could have been a scar from some sort of serious axe wound or something. The kid described in detail, how a man hit him in the back of the head with an axe, told them where his previous body was and even described his killer.

I am not religious by any means, how ever there is something more, and greater than we could ever conceive i think.

4. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your parent's concept sounds a lot like the ideas in the Netflix show The OA. I really like the ideas in that show, and I wish that they were real. I'm not sure about what I believe is real, but I definitely wish that there was some kind of happy afterlife or reincarnation. As someone raised Christian though, I have mixed feelings about an afterlife. I would much rather there be no afterlife then there be a hell alongside a heaven.

5. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, do you happen to have a link to the story? That sounds pretty incredible.

6. AfraidandAlone

No I don't how ever if I can find it or come across it again I will post it.

7. AfraidandAlone

8. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
  9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope, I don't. I think we die and that's it. And honestly, that doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me.

10. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion near-death experience phenomena point to an afterlife of full knowledge of truth, not a traditional heaven or hell. We experience ourselves as the same personality and character as in life, but within a clearer perception of the universe and a greater understanding how we relate to it and impact it. For more information look up the historical writings of Emmanuel Swedenborg along with a really great YouTube channel "Off the Left Eye - Swedenborg and Life" that delves much more deeply into these ideas. Of course, be critical and judge for yourself, but I think the YouTube channel does a nice job of taking really heady intellectualism and spirituality and applying it to everyday life topics such as choice, free will, morality, and life purpose.

The impression I get (from the few documentaries I've seen and the limited material I've read) is that after death we can see beyond the earthly limits of physical space and time. This allows us to directly experience - first-hand - all of the consequences of our actions - all joy we brought, all the sorrow we inflicted, all half-truths we blurted, and all the times we were quietly noble. We experience ourselves through the eyes of others, and we can see all the potential outcomes that might have happened. A number of experiencers have reported that they didn't need to be judged - they judged themselves from this new omniscient perspective.

From there, the experiencers are typically given a choice whether to go further or to return, and by definition of "near death" they return. What lay beyond that threshold is still largely unknown.

I strongly believe that my high school friend (please refer to my post earlier in this thread) said goodbye at or near that threshold. Just that much is incredible to me.

Of course the huge disclaimer here is that the above is my personal reflection on things that I have read, seen, or experienced myself. Grappling with mortality is probably the most personal journey anyone can make. However, I share this aspect of my spiritual journey because I feel that LGBTQ people often need to go beyond religious abuse and narrow church doctrine to find their own truths. For me the overwhelming message is that I will be "judged" by my kindness and overall impact on others, not how well I conformed to a particular scripture or whether I loved someone with the correct body parts.

After my dad's religious condemnation and shame I am finally exploring my beliefs about the afterlife on my own terms as an adult. In some form or fashion I suggest you do too in a way that's appropriate for you if you never felt good about or wanted by your faith of origin. For those of us who grew up in shame based on religion I think it's especially important and this also calls for a special kind of tolerance and compassion.

Patrick

11. Pole star

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fascinating read. Intriguing. I want to write something but it will take some time...

12. Sundara

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is a very religious question. Yes, I believe that after death we have another life. I am a moslem so in my religion said that after death we will have another life in other dimension.
    In the end of our journey The God will take decision you get hell or heaven. It depens on our faiths, attutude during our life in the world.
    In islam we will have complete explanation about what happen life after death.

#32 Sundara, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  13. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You don't die. Dying is a lie. The universe is infinite so infinite time from now you will be in the exact same spot in your life an infinite number of times. Essentially, a lot of infinite things happen. Anyways, I imagine that "this" version of you experiencing this movement down the timeline simply stops experiencing anything, but it is entirely possible that you immediately start experiencing something else for no reason because we can't really tell yet.

14. Blast

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, this study isnt big enough, on its own, to draw any concrete conclusions that are outside of the accepted science.
    Second of all, this study does not show that there is life after death at all. It postulates that people could be revived up to 3 minutes after they are traditionally declared officially dead.

I would advise everyone here to automatically disbelieve anything about science that they read in non-science based news media, particularly from such a disreputable source such as the Daily Express newspaper... which, in the end, is little more than a tabloid and a exponent of right wing hate.

#34 Blast, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  15. Islanzadi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think anything happens after we die. The lights shut and that's it. I had a near-death experience once, and there was no tunnel with a big bright light. There was just nothing.

16. Jon99

I want to believe...

17. Jon99

Interesting answers/theories, I've just been so fascinated by death as of recent, the fact that their could be something out their for us after we leave just fascinates me to no end.

18. Zima

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To be honest, I'm not sure (I am agnostic, after all), but I think that the idea of life after death is very unlikely. I think that once a certain area of your brain dies, you're done. I wish I could believe in an afterlife, since I'm terrified of the idea of not living anymore, but I can't believe in something just to comfort myself. I think out of all the ideas, reincarnation is the most likely out of them all, but I still think the idea of an afterlife of any kind is unlikely. Despite me being skeptic, I am willing to change my opinion if one day science is able to prove me wrong.

19. Elendil

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Given the vastness of the universe and the things we don't yet know, I think it's certainly possible that we continue on in some form after our physical bodies die. After all, what would be the point of our self-awareness if we only exist for a brief span of time and then that's it? Now, whether or not we enter into some kind of afterlife, live on as disembodied energy, or are reincarnated is anyone's guess.

20. Meadowlark17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone