1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling All Writers!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sebby45, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I need to read some Rick Riordan. Lol. :slight_smile:

2. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nice to find so many other PJ fans! (and yes Solangelo is amazing, I can't wait to see more of them).

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

As long as no one is sparkling it's better than twilight.

4. Lazuri

Twilight is not as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, it's definitely not good and it DEFINITELY does not deserve the praise and popularity received.

How do I know this? Well, at the height of its popularity, I ended up in an argument regarding the quality of the books. I insisted that they were awful and she pointed out how I had not read them, to which I said "you know what? That's a fair point and well made." Then I read the books, came back to her and said "they're shit."

That said, I personally hate the series because they took vampires--my favorite mythological creature--and tried to re-imagine them, missing every single mark in the process. I fucking hate the modern trend of taking vampires and just straight up removing all their weaknesses; it just proves that the author was too shitty at writing to be able to write around something like not being able to be out in the daylight.

I also have a writing project with re-imagined vampires, but I personally felt like I did a really fucking good job at it, so Twilight and similar shit like Vampire Dairies just kinda piss me off.

5. Cinis

Cinis Guest

The thing that I hate most about the vampires in twilight is the whole self loathing thing. I mean, if they can feed on animals, then really, they have nothing but pros. They could just turn all of humanity and eradicate all deseases, aging etc. and give everyone superpowers. Granted they couldn't reproduce anymore but the pros of being a vampire are overwhelming, while the cons simply aren't there.

I personally prefer the more folk myth like vampires that are basically reanimated corpses. So..a bit like zombies just a lot cooler.
    I also like the normal-teeth vampires in preacher.
    I mostly like Dracula for it's build up and style, less for the vampires, though they aren't too bad either.

I wouldn't say twilight is bad per se. I definitly dislike the movie but the books can actually be an enjoyable read and bella is a very strong protagonist compared to other leads in the genre.
    I also realize that it's different reading a book like that when you're young from reading it when you're older and more nitpicky.

On the other hand...it's just too much fun to mock it. Especially the sparkling part.

#85 Cinis, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2017
  6. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hate the sparkly vampire thing. Gah.

7. Lazuri

What. The. Fuck. Are you talking about?

Bella barely has any personality at all and whatever she has is extremely unlikable. She is dangerously co-dependant, manipulative and just a general bitch. She raises SOOOO many red flags to have in a life partner. So fucking many. I mean..... When Edward left her, she fucking threw herself off a cliff and thought "if he loves me, he will save me."

Bella is one of the worst protagonists that I've ever seen.

8. GalleyGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Quick question I was wondering about and thought would be good for this wall, does fanfic (not that I've written any) count as creative writing. Because my friends really argue about this, on the one hand the concept, characters and over-arching storyline is someone else's but you did technically write it yourself????? Could you call it creative-ish writing???

9. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Although the character and universe is borrowed, I still think fan fiction can be considered creative writing because YOU have to come up with new scenarios, etc. It is not viable to be printed as your own work, but it is a good exercise in writing without having to come up with your whole story. I used to write fan fic and it takes work to make it good! So, yes, I think it counts.

10. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a real writer per se, But eriting is a hobby of mine, mainly in roleplay. Fanfiction and creative writing are not exactly...fun... to me. But i could enioy making a nice little story perhaps one day. But for now i will stick to roleplay until i learn how to describe scenery and people. Until then, well... nothing. caus ei havent been able to roleppay in a loooooooong while. the rp forum i was on killed meh. Like the forum was dying and i , oh noes.

Anywhow,i am i writer, i guess.

11. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh i actually have a good question to pose to you ! Do you co sider roleplay to be real form of writing?I know plenty of people who have written real stories or are i the process of doing so who started off roleplaying. (Text-based, Of course)
    So again,do you consider roleppaying a form of writing, and why/why not?

12. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say text based role-playing is a form of creative writing because it is focused on character development. Again, like fan fiction it is based in a pre-ordained world, but depending on the forum it can be quite free form in how you write and interact.

If you have to create something in writing, then I consider it "creative" writing.

13. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey writers!
    I'm also a writer. I'm currently working on a sci-fi piece. The main character is not straight, and this is both background and essential to the story. It's background because it's not stated overtly, but it's essential because her actions are motivated by her romantic feelings for other characters, among other motivations.
    How much do you guys write everyday? And what do you find to be helpful when you feel unmotivated and/or have writer's block?

14. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone else have the issue where you can come up with a great idea for a story, but can't seem to build a universe or actual plot for the story to happen? I have had several different story ideas and have only been able to expand upon one idea to the point where I have a great group of characters and ideas of what I want to happen to some of them during the story and/or series, but just can't seem to put it all together. Any thoughts on how to do that? I think part of my issue is that I have done all of this development in my head, but haven't put any of it to paper yet.

15. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Usually when I write a story I just start inside of a character's head and see where it goes, or if I feel more apart from the character I try to start with small actions and build from there, just see where it goes. After writing the start of the first chapter I'll write out my notes on the world and important plot points. If you have a universe but no characters, try asking yourself questions about the universe. Eventually those questions may lead to a conflict, or an emotion, which you can then use to form a character, and a scene. For me, once I have the first conflict, or I find out what emotionally attaches me to the story, I can go from there. I guess my writing is pretty emotion based. Also, if you have a universe imagined, you could try imagining walking around in that universe and basically see what you can see. If you see any interesting characters while you're there you could try to write about them. This is basically like waking dreaming, and I don't use this technique very often but it has always been a good experience for me when I do.

16. RoseChan00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is not true! Roleplaying can be built off of the foundation of purely original (Although maybe inspired) odeas! It just tenda to posaes more than one writer. i'm not offended jaut trying to point out was incorrect

17. Lazuri

Text-based RP is, in its core, collaborative writing. This is how I started writing and probably why my stories are so character driven--it is simply how I'm used to progress a story.

18. BothWaysSecret

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you! That's very helpful advice that i will definitely use for the rest of my ideas!

19. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While both of my stories are fully developed, they didn't start out that way. I've been developing my two stories for 12 and 9 years, respectively. A lot has changed about them during that time. Sometimes you just start out with an idea and it takes time for it to grow. However, what helped me was finding small details and building off of them. The more details you find, the more they start to integrate together.

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Double post

#100 Creativemind, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017