1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrist bands/thingy's

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quantumreality, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, a relatively simple question to the LGBTQ community on EC.

Why do we tend to wear wristbands?

I don't mean this as a stereotypical thing. Nor anything else.

But it seems to me that most LGBTQ people, especially Gay people tend to wear rainbow or other wristbands in public much more these days.

That's certainly not a negative thing. I'm just wondering why and/or how 'we' are becoming that much more openly bold. (Obviously a GOOD thing.)

#1 Quantumreality, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because now the young adult population was raised with more acceptance of LGBT people and since gay marriage is legal it is less taboo. I carry around a rainbow peace sign in my backpack pocket. I use it as a way of identifying people who are accepting of gay people because they tend to ask me "Do you just have that for no reason or *does it mean something* to you?" And yes, for all those people who see my rainbow peace sign, it means something.

3. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A good response, but you list your orientation here on EC as "Bi", like myself. Personally, I am more than happy to wear a wristband of Bi colors these days, but I tend to think that the Rainbow wristbands and flags (which I would otherwise be more than happy to wear/fly), are likely to be misinterpreted to mean that I'm Gay rather than the fact that I'm Bi, but totally supportive of the Gay Community...

4. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should probably find a bi colored wristband or something also. And I honestly don't know if I should just change it to say I'm gay. I pretty much only like guys, with a few exceptions (at least right now). It would certainly be simpler to just tell people I'm gay but then they might get confused if I ever fall for a girl... Trying to predict what would be generally more beneficial to label myself as is hard.

5. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. LonerGirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've started wearing a rainbow wrist band lately. Its just a home-made friendship bracelet type thing I made a few months ago, not intentionally with pride colours but that's how it ended up lol. For me I think because I'm still in the process of coming out its a gentle way to let people know without having to actually tell them. Although I do want to make one in bi colours also, since I'm bi, not a lesbian. But if anyone were to ask I could tell them anyway.

7. Humbly Me

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk I feel like I'm biased towards wanting to just be gay because so many gay people act like they would never want to be with a bi person for X or Y bullshit reason. Being closer to exclusively homosexual than 50/50 makes it hard to even explain to people my orientation. The people I have told I just explained that "I'm mostly into guys..."

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    fir
    Hey LonerGirl,

As a Bi guy, I'm sensitive to bi erasure within the LGBTQ community, so I don't really like it when homosexual individuals first Come Out as Bi - especially when they already know that they are homosexual. However, I do understand why some people do that and I don't disrespect anyone for doing so, AS LONG AS they keep in mind that they did so for a specific reason and don't disenfranchise REAL bisexual people after the fact. In such a way, for example, as to imply that ALL people who Come Out as Bi are actually homosexual, but, similarly to themselves, haven't yet Come Out as homosexual. Such thinking creates bi erasure and is a huge disservice to the entire B population of LGBTQ.

If, however, you simply want to wear Bi colors in support of the B in LGBTQ, then I would simply thank you and say "more power to you!"

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Myclosetisfull,

What you are thinking of/dealing with is biphobia. Tbh, I don't tell anyone that I'm dating that I'm Bi until/unless we become serious as a couple for the basic reasons you indicated. Straight women tend to really shy away from Bi guys for multiple reasons. Gay guys tend to think that we will ultimately leave them because they can never give us the specific satisfaction of being with a woman (vaginal sex). It's all ridiculous, of course, because most Bi guys can be/are as faithful as straight guys. (Remember that a significant percentage of straight guys are unfaithful to their monogamous relationships, so why should Bi guys be judged differently? People are people, after all. Right?)

Telling people that you are "mostly into guys" is fine. I tell my closest friends that, too. BUT being mostly into guys (or gals) is ultimately irrelevant to the fact that you are still actually Bi. When I have a boyfriend, I'm not 'suddenly' gay. When I have a girlfriend, I haven't suddenly 'reverted' to being straight. I'm still Bi at all times. Generally what other people think doesn't bother me. But sometimes when they erase my sexual identity (bi erasure) out of ignorance, it really bothers. me.

10. Shoei Loei

Shoei Loei Guest

Sometimes during the month of June I'll wear one of those woven friendship bracelets that's rainbow colored. I have one currently, but I stopped wearing it because I realized that it's not a full rainbow (for some reason it's missing blue), which gets on my nerves. Mostly, I don't really wear anything that's LGBT+ specific, not because I'm not proud, but because I don't feel like it's anyone's business to try and figure out my sexual orientation. I think as I've gotten older, I've stopped wearing rainbow wrist bands/bracelets, and it's not seen as professional for work for me. I have friends my age who do wear rainbow wristbands though, so I suppose it's just personal preference. I happen to live in a small, conservative, Christian part of CA, so I'm a bit more wary of how people perceive my sexuality. Part of me just doesn't want my sexuality or gender to be perceived by anyone at all, even though I am a cis female and I look female. I just like flying under the radar usually; it makes me feel safer.