1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Shooting at GOP baseball team practice

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Jun 14, 2017.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can disagree with somebody as much as you want to. However shooting them does not solve anything. It creates a larger divide.

More here

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree this is a horrible tragedy and hope for a complete recovery for those injured.

3. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with your sentiments to an extent, and it certainly doesn't help with the sjw image associated with liberals. But, the little demon inside says yes, let the anti-gun control pary get shot at, and let them understand why we need gun control. I don't condone the shooter's actions, but I'm not necissarily sorry for the injured politicians.

4. sojabohnenfeld

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't you think it's about more than just gun control? How could you not be sorry, they did nothing wrong.

From NYT:
    Representative Jeff Duncan of South Carolina, who left the practice just before the shooting, said afterward that he had encountered a man in the parking lot — later identified as the gunman — who “asked me if the team practicing was a Democrat or a Republican team." "I told him they were Republicans,” the lawmaker recalled. “He said, ‘O.K., thanks,’ turned around.”

That should speak for itself...

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This won't make them think about gun control. Instead, it will make them think about arming more people. They already have been praising the police that were present at the practice for their actions. Give it time, they will be pushing laws to allow more people to own guns to "protect themselves from danger".

Then, like I said in the original post, the divide between the two sides only becomes larger. And when the divide becomes larger, nobody wins.

Beyond that part of the issue, what happened here was terrible, and was uncalled for. To say that you are "not sorry for the injured politicians" is frankly pretty ignorant and downright cruel. I bet if the people that were injured were from the political party of your choosing you would not feel the same way. Really, what it comes down to is basic respect for your fellow human. There was a man injured so badly that he is going to have to have multiple surgeries, and he is still currently listed as being in critical condition.

6. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I see. I did not have the full story, and in addition, I could have worded my above post better. Allow me to clarify a few things:
    1) I never intended to imply that it was only about gun control.
    2) The post was poorly written, focusing more on the loose connection to gun control than what I agreed with concerning previously expressed opinions.
    3) Although it is no excuse, I had incomplete information at the time, and I was unaware of those present other than the Republican politicians.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, that makes sense, I apologize for being so harsh, but things like that tend to make me mad. I know that we all make the mistake of not having all of the information before we comment on a situation sometimes.

8. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, but you are right that my original post was still harsh and somewhat uncalled for. I will again say that I do NOT condone the shooter's actions, and I will now proceed to give my full opinion on the rest of the situation:
    It was an unnecessary act of violence, and cannot be justified by any means. Those who would injure others simply due to opposing beliefs cause more pain and spread a message of further hate and bigotry, and Lord knows our country doesn't need that in these times.

9. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And, yet not a single word of sympathy for the people that the shooter injured...

10. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey, I can't be perfect. I may not pity them, but I'm not sitting here gloating "ha ha you got shot."

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are correct. Also one of the representatives is supposedly going to introduce legislation to allow representatives to carry concealed guns in the entire US if they can legally carry in their home state, similar to a bill already passed for law enforcement officers. (reciprocity) Even a few democrats who support gun control in general have expressed some support for this measure, as long as it's limited to them, as they have been on the receiving end of threats from people also. If they do that, expect the NRA to demand it for regular citizens also at some point.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/flei...-after-baseball-field-mass-shooting/448887480

He said Wednesday's shooting has forced him to rethink his sense of security.

"When we go to a baseball field we think we are safe. Baseball is a great American institution. We think we're safe. I have never feared for my security. Now I fear for my security," he said.

“My adrenaline is raging,” he told CNN. “It’s not easy to take when you see people around you being shot and you don’t have a weapon yourself.”

Rep. Brad Wenstrup, R-Ohio, told Fox News he "felt like I was in Iraq, but without my weapon."

“We were there within 3 minutes,” Brown said. “Two of our officers engaged in gunfire and returned fire.”

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., told Fox News: "We were like sitting ducks."

"Without the Capitol Hill police it would have been a massacre," Paul said, describing the scene as "sort of a killing field."

http://time.com/4818560/chris-collins-steve-scalise-shooting/

Rep. Chris Collins vowed Wednesday to start carrying a gun with him "from this this day forward" following the shooting of House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and at least three others at an early-morning baseball practice in Virginia.

"You look at the vulnerability. I can assure you, from this day forward, I have a carry permit, I will be carrying when I’m out and about,” the Republican representative of New York told WKBW, an ABC affiliate in Buffalo.

“On a rare occasion I’d have my gun in the glove box or something, but it’s going to be in my pocket from this day forward," he added.

12. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When i heard about this, I was surprised by the fact that republicans and democrats could get along long enough to play a game of baseball.
    The shooting is still a shame.

13. Im sure both sides have their own ways to deal with this. The bottom line is that if the first thing that comes to mind with this is politics instead of sympathy, that's just messed up