1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vice ve

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by martialmaster, May 5, 2017.

1. martialmaster

If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vice versa, would you support the trans community being allowed to change their DNA to their desired biological gender?

2. AKTodd

Re: If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vic

Certainly - I'd support this as well as anyone who wished being able to change their DNA in any way they wished that wouldn't cause active and intentional physical harm to others (assuming there was any risk of that within the bounds of the technology).

Todd

3. fuz

fuz

Re: If the technology came about which allowed us to change Y chromosones to X or vic

I don't see why not.

4. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yep and I'd change my chromosomes in a heartbeat

5. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Sure. It would be much more convenient for trans people.

6. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm curious as to whether it would then trigger the body to morph into the correct gender and how that would happen.

7. martialmaster

Second question - if gene therapy became available to change a gay person to straight, would you have a problem with it being legally available?

8. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

No. If they really wanted to be straight, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I think they should be given a period of time to live as gay and see if they're able to accept their sexuality first, maybe it should be a last resort. But it should be an optional thing anyway and not compulsory. If people are able to accept themselves and they don't want the therapy, they should be allowed to live as gay.

9. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I think that would be dangerous. I think that people could be pressured into it. Plus it suggests it's something to be fixed

10. martialmaster

Surely if the technology was available to biologically alter someone's gender, it should be available for someone to alter someone's orientation, provided this is what they would want.

I have now realized I'm gay, but given the option I would choose to be straight. I feel that if the technology was there, it would be my right to use it, just as I believe someone wishing to change biological gender should be able to do the same.

---------- Post added 6th May 2017 at 03:57 AM ----------

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

11. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

but of course

12. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

If I changed my sexuality it would change me on a fundamental basis. I would no longer be me.

13. martialmaster

Which is why I believe it could be an optional choice to have the therapy.

14. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Sure, why not.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hell yes.

16. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I totally believe in being able to embrace whichever gender you wish, but the idea of allowing your sexuality changed perturbs me... one feels that at least for now LGBPphobic persons might pressure our community into becoming straight because "it's clearly a disease/perversion, you need to get yourself cured" yada yada yada.

My love for men/women/enbys(is it enbys?) is part of what makes me who I am.

But then, maybe I'm wrong :slight_smile:

Peace

17. AKTodd

Why assume that the technology would only allow changing someone to be straight?

If the tech existed, it might as readily be able to make straight people not straight as make non-straight people straight.

What if things reach the point where people can change orientation (gay, straight, bi, pan, etc.) as easily (and for about the same cost) as they now change their computer screensaver or wallpaper? And can change gender as easily (and for about the same cost) as people currently buy a new living room or bedroom set?

Such a world might be a very different place compared to things now. Our current society might struggle to deal with such abilities - but if it survived and adapted, it might be a place where a lot of the assumptions on which our current cultures are built are looked at as quaint, at best.

Todd

18. BisexualFurry

Not only would i support,I WOULD GO AND CHANGE THAT SHIT!(!)

19. Chronos

Chronos Guest

Well I mean it would suck for kids trying to come out of the closet to unsupportive parents, because the kids will probably end up with their sexualities changed...

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Biological sex = Sure.

Sexuality is risky though. Mainly because we live in a society where homosexuality is not fully accepted, and many gay people still take a while to accept their sexuality. In a perfect world, it wouldn't be as bad as it sounds, but the reality is that people would use it to wipe homosexuality out of existence.