1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you think everyone has bisexual tendencies and just don't know it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blod, May 5, 2017.

1. blod

I think theres many paths to this question. Im a girl but I think i only like girls. but there can be attraction that goes overlooked by both genders because of the society of gender rolls. hence why some people are agender or trans and pansexual etc.

I've always questioned married straight couples cause you can't always assume they are completely straight. they could be bi, secretly questioning if not open or come out gay later down the marriage

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I think I'm either completely missing your point, or completely disagree.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say *everyone*, but certainly, human sexuality is a lot more complex than the media, religion, or society would have you believe.

Even with many gay members, you have those who "always knew", those who discovered later in life; with strong preferences one way, or more even. That's ignoring things like roles, "type", expression...

4. blod

lol well i dont mean "everyone" exact. I mean as in psychological depth of attraction of people on earth in general. if you class people as all "different". men and women are different. not all men are the same. not all women are the same. some men are gay some are straight and the same for women. my question is a bit ethically global

---------- Post added 5th May 2017 at 09:00 AM ----------

thats true. its very complex. it must have taken a lot to manipulate the earths population on how to interact with one another through out history ans not just with sexuality when you think about it. i think war, propaganda, social science, basis theories, tradition changes also take a part.

5. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think society in general is becoming more tolerant in some respects. So for those people who know they are LGBT, it's probably a better climate to come out.

I don't know what it's like for guys but I've talked about it with a lot of my female friends. I think straight women have some bi tendencies but it's up to them whether they want to explore it or not.

6. blod

thats interesting I've witnessed a lot of straight guys saying they are comfortable with there sexuality and gone to gay night outs. even heard of guys experimenting with kissing other guys at parties. it explains 80s and metro sexual men like Prince.

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at all.

I personally believe that the majority of people probably do have bisexual tendencies, but there are always going to be people who are fully rigid. I believe kinsey himself stated that 10% of people have rigid sexualities; which is a slight minority but not non existent.

Repressing bisexual tendencies also wouldn't make any sense for actual gay people since we're forced/pressured into dating the opposite sex and can face heavy consequences if we don't. You see a lot of gay people who legitimately force themselves into straight sex and dating with zero luck or enjoyment on their part. If they had real bi tendencies, they wouldn't struggle with opposite sex encounters they way they do, and would just choose to date the opposite sex only as it is an easier life.

8. blod

cool :slight_smile: that 10% basically explains the society standard is a load of rubbish. and that people are very capable of choosing love for themselves without denying their sexuality and be truthful to their partners/peers

#8 blod, May 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Which is one reason I think the whole "gold star" label is stupid. Someone isn't "more gay" or "authentic" just because they've never felt attraction to the opposite sex, or slept with them. It's almost like a mirror image of how sexuality is policed by heterosexuals.

But at the center of it all, I think people are too egocentric. "If you're not exactly like me, then..." It's worse when someone uses their own journey as a barometer for someone else: Oh, I went through that.

Controversial, but I do think many gay men are pressured into declaring their disgust of female anatomy, at least more so than gay women are (maybe their equivalent is something like lesbian separatism). It goes hand-in-hand with misogyny, male privilege, and whatnot. The adult version of "Ew, women have cooties!" :dry:

10. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only answer for myself. I am 100% women only when it comes to any form of attraction.

I like guys fine as friends but I have a distinct aversion to men's dangly parts.

11. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not everyone, but perhaps more than we think.

However, gender identity is an entirely different issue which has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think 10% of the world is completely gay and 10% of the world is completely straight. I think everyone else is somewhere in between but not many will admit it.

#12 Andrew99, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  13. blod

hahaha very true. sort of turns people into to sheep. some just don't really understand what or how to think by their own recall of sexuality and what they actually believe themselves. I know it's hard in the society we live in but we all know society is a joke we always have to prove ourselves to make a change. they're not royalty

14. blod

yeah sorry that is true. but people unfairly get patronised in that way gender=sexuality

15. caustic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I don't. I mean, I'm all for "sexuality is a sliding scale", and not defining/labelling your orientation if you don't want to, but I still believe it needs to be acknowledged that a lot of people are genuinely heterosexual (even if sometimes we wished they weren't).

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm bi and can't fathom writing out half the human race for gender alone. However, that doesn't mean at all that "everyone is a little bi." This is exactly what other groups do to LGBTs in saying that we are "confused" or etc. and aren't what we say we are.

It might be true that a lot of people fall somewhere on a spectrum, but I would not go so far as to say most people do, much less everyone. And ultimately, it's their own business. I have no reason to be concerned with what everyone's orientation is-- only those I'd try to date.

#16 Argentwing, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
  17. faultyink

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, but I mean, it's probably more common than some people think? I think I'm bi to a certain degree anyway, but I much prefer girls.

18. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What would you classify as a bisexual tendency?

I have this male friend that has a really feminine face, a feminine personality, a body that does not look that manly and we have great chemistry as friends. I think that I could kiss him while drunk, but I would never sleep with him because the male genitals and maleness in general really putt me off. So, do I have bisexual tendencies? Personally, I think that I am just attracted to femininity and not only females can be feminine...

I think that a lot of people are capable of kissing with a member of a sex that they are not attracted to but don't want to date with or sleep with a member of said sex. So I don't see this as a 'bisexual tendency'. If you have true bisexual tendencies, you are a bisexual. I do not believe that bisexuals are the majority so I don't think everyone (or the majority of people) has bisexual tendencies.

19. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. I thought that for years but no I don't think so anymore. I guess I know too many people who are a 0 or a 6 :slight_smile: .

20. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I actually am a 6 on the kinsey scale.

The idea of sleeping with a man repulses me, even kissing one repulses me. They look and feel different; the rough lips, the smell of testosterone, and all that is...yuck.

I can like men as friends, but I don't consider that a bi tendency since there's nothing sexual or romantic about it.

This is an extreme example, but being kinsey 0 or kinsey 6 is like having a best friend with chronic vomiting problem. You can love the friend as a person and a human being. You can be there for them. But is the love you have for this person strong enough to make you willing enough to touch or interact with their vomit? I would think that regardless of how much you like the person, the idea would still gross you out.

That's not to say that sex with a man is the same thing as touching vomit or waste to me, It's just that there's a level of repulsion there that would make me unwilling to do it regardless of how "good of a person" the guy friend is. Unfortunately, people do not understand how rigid kinsey 0's and 6's are so you sometimes need to use very extreme examples for them to get the point.

People like this do exist, where exceptions will never happen. Not all men are the same in looks or personality, but all men are the same when it comes to basic biology and hormones. That's where the turn off lies.

#20 Creativemind, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017