1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Could it be Time to Deny White Men the Franchise?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Simple Thoughts, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Simple Thoughts

Could It Be Time To Deny White Men The Franchise?

"If white men no longer had the vote, the progressive cause would be strengthened. It would not be necessary to deny white men indefinitely – the denial of the vote to white men for 20 years (just less than a generation) would go some way to seeing a decline in the influence of reactionary and neo-liberal ideology in the world."

"It is no surprise that liberalism – and its ideological offshoots of conservatism and libertarianism – are the most popular ideologies among white males. These ideologies with their focus on individuals and individual responsibility, rather than group affiliation, allow white men to ignore the debt that they owe society"

"Some may argue that this is unfair. Let's be clear, it may be unfair, but a moratorium on the franchise for white males for a period of between 20 and 30 years is a small price to pay for the pain inflicted by white males on others"

I want to note that I do not in any way agree with this article. I just found it fascinating that this article even exists, and on Huffpost at that. Apparently we're literally having conversations now about whether or not White Males should have rights at all.

2. AlexJames

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good god that's terrible. The article i mean, not you. Sounds like someone who blames all their problems on racism or other people or something like that. Like my mom and how she blames dad for how her life's turned out with the choices she's made. In my opinion you get out of life what you put in it, in this day and age. Nobody owes anyone else anything. Just follow the 'golden rule' and treat others how you want to be treated, that's it.

#2 AlexJames, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2017
  3. Desertcat

Yep.

Huffpo is a rich girl's Blog.
    I bet the wealth that is redistributed won't be Arianna Huffington's!

What is wrong with "individual responsibility?"
    As for you who thing Republicans are the meanies and hate gays have you ever heard of Log Cabin Republicans?
    As for Libertarians they believe that people can be gay or straight (or whatever) without the Government stopping them.

4. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting concept. We seem to be falling into believing people are not as worthy of respect simply for being born a certain sex or race... an interesting proposal but I doubt it would actually cause any positive effects, not to mention trigger a massive right-wing movement that could swing back in that 20 years.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mean, it would be outlandish to act like this is a common thought amongst liberals. You can't take the opinions of the extreme to characterize an entire group. I don't agree with it at all, of course, but nobody is actually going to do this.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's both hilarious and sad. Some people love stirring the racial tensions pot.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is this satire? I mean, we white men have done a bang-up job hurting other people in the past and present, but two wrongs don't make a right and I don't think it will even help things here.

The solution to oppression is not different oppression.

8. WeDreamOfPeace

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hatred can only be ended with the cessation of hatred. - Buddha

9. TheLemurLady

TheLemurLady Guest

Why does that article even exist? Don't take it to an extreme from either side of the political equation people...

10. Simple Thoughts

I agree with you, but at the same time, a very well known and respected outlet has given voice to this sentiment which indicates a problem to me.

I've seen sentiments like this and worse before, but they aren't usually coming from the Huffington Post. This is usually the kind of stuff you'd see in a Tumblr blog.

I feel like left or right wing everyone is stirring the racial pot anymore, and I'm not really sure what to think/do about that anymore.

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it definitely is an issue, I agree with you. However it does deserve to be pointed out that this seems to be the South African edition of Huffpost. Not that it makes taking away rights acceptable in any sense, but it would help explain their position given their history. White people have been pretty shitty in history but two wrongs don't make a right.

12. Simple Thoughts

I just don't understand the thinking personally.

I don't get how people get to these positions in their head and feel totally justified in them.

13. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first thing that springs to mind reading this isn't that it's a literal proposal - more that it is an attempt to give a really tangible expression to the idea of white men being responsible for certain specific things.

I don't think it's helpful but I absolutely don't believe it's a concerted call for the disenfranchising of white men.

I do think it's dangerous in South Africa to pursue a line that advocates a radical black activism - it is a black ANC government with a black president that currently presides over South Africa's shambolic affairs. To apportion blame away from the ANC in a South African context is dangerous and illiberal.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2017 at 02:27 PM ----------

Also an additional note; I think her argument about seizing white assets is not particularly hypothetical and is a terrifying prospect in a South Africa struggling with due process and economic rationalism.

14. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Amazing Ath- *ahem* TJ Kirk's response.

[YOUTUBE]95bxSVgvbrs[/YOUTUBE]

#14 FrogCAT, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  15. Simple Thoughts

So I know that South Africa has been having some kind of issue for awhile now. I'm not fully caught up on their politics or the state of things there, but I've seen a few videos online over the past few years out of their country which suggests that as bad as racial tensions are in the U.S. it's much worse in South Africa.

Do you happen to know much about that? I'm fairly curious, especially when it's leading to stuff like this coming out of a publication like HuffPost.

---------- Post added 14th Apr 2017 at 05:51 AM ----------

1.) Is that a Sans OC? X3

2.) Yeah this is how I found out about the story, but I didn't want to bring in a point of view into the conversation. I thought it would be more helpful to share the original source and let people come to their own sorts of conclusions about it.

16. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Denying people the franchise based on their race and/or gender is the definition of racism in my opinion, no matter what country you live in and what happened in the past. It's an absolutely disgusting idea.

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to admit I find this whole thing amusing. I hardly think an article like this worth being shocked and appalled over, any more than I would be shocked and appalled over the ridiculous tripe that Breitbart frequently spews. It's design to get a reaction out of people, and it seems that it has done so.

Even disregarding that this article originated in South African politics, I do find it interesting that some black people are so concerned faulting white people with everything wrong in their own lives (and society at large) that they stoop to making absurd suggests like the one presented in this article. There is a distinction between recognizing historical wrongs and continuing to refuse to take personal responsibility. What's virtuous about being a perpetual victim? What's virtuous about needing to disenfranchise a demographic to have your political vision come to fruition (i.e. that it can't be done without wronging people, it can't be done on its own)?

Liberalism has become an absurd parody of itself in some circles.

18. photoguy93

This is ridiculous. This should not be placed on the doorstep of one type of individual. I live in conservative-ville, and I can say that I've seen plenty of African Americans who just adore Trump.

This is a major problem - as I've said with other issues. This fighting will cause so many issues if we can't find a way to work together.

19. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people

1.) No, it's an character designed by someone from another forum I'm on for a story they're writing. Also what's a Sans?

2.) You watch TJ too? Neat. Also, good idea, people should come to their own conclusions about things more often. I just posted the video here cause I couldn't be bothered to write out my own thoughts at the time, which effectively align completely with TJ's. And I just like to spread a little bit of TJ Kirk around every once and a while, on the off chance it helps grow his channel.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm triggered. As a privileged white male, I think it is preposterous that someone wants to take my right to vote away just because of my gender and race. Seriously that's discrimination.