1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess I'm afraid after all.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lazuri, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Lazuri

I guess this hasn't hit the international news quite yet, but there's a terror attack that's still ongoing in Stockholm, where I live. It started with the typical truck mowing down civilians and then gunmen jumped out of the truck and as far as the news say, the police are still engaged with them.

I've felt terrible about the recent terror attacks, but I've always maintained that showing fear is what they want. Keep calm and carry on, is what I usually say while offering my condolences. But when I see these pictures of lifeless people, dogs and blood pooling in streets I visited only days ago, I get this uncomfortable feeling growing in my chest.

I'm furious because I wasn't there, even if it was dangerous. I could have helped, somehow. But I was safe at home and I feel so guilty about that when others will never be able to go home today.

I'm furious that this happened. I'm furious at myself for caring so much more than previous attacks around the world just because it's my home. I'm furious at myself because while I keep up this calm facade and reassure my family that everything will be alright and to not be afraid, I'm terrified, furious and being torn apart by guilt that I'm not even sure why I'm feeling.

But mostly, I'm furious because this is what they want and I let them beat me.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't beat yourself up too much about it. You *should* be afraid. People bent on murder are scary. Without getting political, there's nothing you can do against the threat of madmen with trucks and guns except not cave to what the fear can accomplish.

If there were terrorist attacks in my home town, I'd be preparing for the end of the world. "It can't happen here." Well, the idea that it can happen anywhere is what they use to change things. Terrorists refuse to live by our law, but that doesn't mean we live under theirs.

3. Lazuri

The thing is that Yoda is right about fear. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and it's the never ending motherfucking hate that keeps this conflict going.

Extremists attack, we retaliate either by invading wherever the extremists were from or by just treating muslims like terrorists, this makes young muslims hate us and grow into more extremists, repeat ad infinitum.

It's so amazingly fucking pointless and all it takes for this to eventually end is for one side to smarten the fuck up and just stop feeding the other side hate.

So I get scared because I realize I'm feeling that fear and clearly, I'm also quite angry--so I guess I'm mostly afraid of being infected with that goddamn hate that everybody seem to enjoy so fucking much.

#3 Lazuri, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  4. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very well put.

I am sorry you are going through this right now. I'd be frightened half to death as well. I pray this will end soon. *hug*

5. Rin311

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who grew up in, and still lives in, a country that sees frequent terror attacks, I totally understand. Personally I think that repressing fear is not the right move here. It's natural to feel afraid at times like this and it's a normal human response.et yourself feel and acknowledge the fear, talk about it, share it with others, then get up and keep going. In the end it's the only thing you can do.