1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder sizes

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sam314159, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sam314159

I have a couple of binders in size medium that fit, but I struggle to get on and off myself due to problems with my arms. I'm thinking about getting some in a larger size so I can use them when I'm on my own or at home (only one friend at uni knows I bind, and they're the one who helps me currently), but I'm really worried that it will just have no effect. My current one feels like it doesn't get anywhere near flat enough and I'm worried it will be a lot of money and have no effect (delivery and customs charges are a lot in the UK). Any advice on what I should do?

2. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What sort of arm problems are you having? Are they physical or because of getting the binder off?

If it is the binder, I find it is normal until they are broken in, or have a certain fabric, etc. And never try to put a binder on after a shower! Just don't, you'll kill yourself.

If it is physical, going up would be easier on your arms, but will fall short in compression. So, yes, they would be good around the house, but may make it harder to pass in public. Just my thoughts.

I have a binder with super compression, but it hurts like heck because of the seams and getting it on and off is a challenge, but it really does the job, so I use that outside. Then I have another less compressing one inside. So it doesn't hurt to go a little larger.

However, I do understand the budget constraints.

Sebby45

3. matt4907

matt4907 Guest

I used to have trouble getting on my binder too so I started stepping into it and pulling it up. It's a little tricky to get over your hips but once you do that, it's fairly easy to get it on the rest of the way.

4. If you have tank ones, you can use the method where you flip it inside out and pull it up around your waist like a skirt, then flip it back the right side in by pulling the straps up over your shoulders.
    Another option is to buy binders with zip or velcro closure (or sew one in if you know how to do that).
    I wear a sports bra with a really baggy shirt when I'm home so I can bind out of the house as much as possible.

5. sam314159

I could try getting it over my hips, but they are very wide so that could be an issue as well. The problems with my arms are nothing to do with the binder, I have twisted elbows.

6. I put my arms through and use my shoulders to pull apart, get it over my head, and then kind of wiggle and pull down at the same time. I have a pretty small chest though, so I don't know if this would work for you.

7. sam314159

I haven't found getting it on an issue, it's getting it off, although I did manage it recently.

8. I'm not sure what kind of binder you have, but I use an Underworks Tri-top and the shoulder straps are loose enough for me to kind of push one off and wiggle my arm out, then push my hand down the front and kind of reverse the maneuver to put it on. I like, wiggle and push out with my arm so it slides up along my arm and off my shoulder so it's around my neck and loose enough to get off the other side.