1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I lower my voice pitch without it sounding forced?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Naos210, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Naos210

As of now, I am a cis male. I'm going to ignore my dysphoria for now. While I know there's nothing wrong with being feminine, getting made fun of for my more feminine voice is irritating. Plus, over voice communication such as phones, I can get mistaken as female. As such, since transmen have to deal with this, how do you do it? Granted, it's even worse for me because as a singer, it makes it difficult to blend with the other males. I sound more like an alto trying to sing low sometimes (I sing tenor in choir).

Put simply, my voice isn't "in my chest" like most males, but if I put my voice down there, people can easily tell it's fake. Assistance?

2. Naos210

Oh, also, it would help for my voice to drop at least half an octave, though an octave might be preferred.

3. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a fellow singer, I suggest "rasping and sighing" at the same time. Pay attention to how the noise comes "from your gut" rather than the chest. If you could practice that exercise, it should help. In addition: hum and slowly raise your head until you face the ceiling and then slowly lower it back down whilst doing it. It also helps to do that again but instead of humming, repeat the words "ding dong, ping pong, King Kong". You should hear the difference if you're doing it right. Drinking cold water helps too.

#3 PrinceVegeta, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  4. Irisviel

[edit] I actually misread some of your post so what is there below is more of a general advice. Since you probably know what head/mixed/chest voices are, you should focus on the last paragraph. That is, apply chest voice technique and accept that you won't get results fast. Subtle changes over weeks and months.[/edit]

you need to understand how human voice works. Best idea is to try "chest voice" on YouTube and see instructions for singers, and apply the principle for speech.

It's basically about using your diaphragm more as you speak, because that's how a typical male produces voice/breathes - hence most men have deep voices. For women it's usually the opposite, more of a mixed/head voice. You are probably speaking in that other way, using mixed and head register. It's difficult to describe here but YouTube is your friend. Find out there (try more than one video) what head, mixed and chest voices (registers) are. Knowing how the three work you should be able to apply the technique to your own speech. Also, knowing all three basic types of voice will help you avoid practices that put you in the upper registers.

One piece of advice is that while to you the difference might be very subtle it will be more for the observer. That's how you make it sound unforced - by not trying too hard and accepting you yourself won't hear a huge difference. Once you accept that you should have an easier time and if you continue putting some effort into it you will naturally improve. Don't try too hard and accept to hear subtle difference only. That's essentially how trans women should train their voices as well, or trans men... just for the former it's obviously about developing a head/mixed speaking voice.

#4 Irisviel, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. Naos210

I know how the voice works. I'm a singer. Using my falsetto/head voice register, I can sing well into an upper women's range, that of a soprano. And I'm not using my head voice register, as it wouldn't sound as natural as it does if that were the case. After puberty, my voice just happened to settle in a higher spot than most men, as I am able to sing part of the alto range (lower voiced women) without a whole ton of effort. Just like, some women's voices can be lower. That's another thing. My voice changes pitches as I speak, which is more a female trait than a male trait. Males tend to be more monotone, which is hard for me to accomplish without sounding like a robot. My chest voice is difficult to even access, and when I do, it puts strain on my voice.

6. Irisviel

yeah, I know. I edited the post but probably a bit too late for you to notice (guess you started responding as I was correcting the thing), to account for the fact you are a singer.

But the point still stands. MtF people also need to learn how to use more of the upper register and it can sound forced and can put strain on the voice. You are asking to do the opposite and it works the same way. Patience, practice, slow progress. There isn't really any other way. You are asking how to make your voice sound not forced and the only method is to practice and that you need time for it. It's a muscle and it needs to be trained.