1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Other FtM's

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dyl pickle, Mar 16, 2017.

1. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you were young did you ever try to impress the boys - but in a different way than the other girls? This isn't a very serious topic, I was actually laughing a bit looking back on it.

I remember when I was in kindergarten through maybe 5th grade that I was always trying to impress the boys, but not with my looks or my femininity for the sake of attraction. It was quite the opposite actually; I would try to appear strong, tough, and nonchalant whenever I was around them so that I would be accepted as one of the boys. I used to threaten them that I could beat them up because I was stronger than them, and other things like that. I always tried to excel at sports and would feel extremely terrible if I didn't when around male classmates. There was even one time that I remember wanting to hang out on the monkey bars with two other guys, and they said no girls allowed, and I was quite confused and tried to prove to them that I fit with them.

I just remembered these events a week ago when my friend reminded me I used to do that, and I suppose I just found it quite funny. Does anybody else have funny stories like this?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yes.

I would play football with my brothers and their friends. If I got hurt, no way would I cry. I was very into, and competitive with, video games and got quite good at them. Also, I remember always trying to "out-gentleman" other guys by opening doors for people or offering seats to them. Whatever it was, I'd try to just be one of the guys, but one step more so. It is slightly amusing...

3. Idkwhatisgoinon

Yes definitely

I played football for my city as a child, even not for a teen just playing with all my guy friends. I would always try to be "one of the guys" I never understood why girls couldn't play with boys or do the same things as them. As a preteen I would try to be as much of a "gentleman" as possible, I would hold doors and try to be a "man" I have always tried to act like and be lile "one of they guys" that at one point in my 10-12 year old years I was considered one of the guys, they would always ask me to go play with them and they would never go easy on me in any game we played
    I felt like this is who I am supposed to be and I'm really just piecing it together now

4. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I ever did. I did impress the guys sometimes .. but never on purpose.

5. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yea, I was always trying to make friends with other guys and would choose to hang out with them over female friends any day. I remember thinking my whole childhood like "that's who my friends should be, i should be like them, that's who i was meant to be" but never formulated into the words "i wish i was a boy". I'd always try to emulate how they were, trying to act 'cool' and trying to join in playing soccer with them. But s much of the time i was only looked at weirdly or laughed at so i mostly just stuck with female friends who i could more easily blend in with and tried to act more feminine and less 'weird' as i thought of it.

6. Rainbow Lantern

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well I'm not FtM (don't really know where I'm at) but I did use to try to act very "manly." I always tried to out "man" people and got emasculated a lot. In the younger grades I used to walk around saying things like "awesome dude" in a "surfer" voice (or one like the ninja turtle michelangelo). I also had guy friends and challenged one of them with arm-wrestling (which did not work out as planned but at least it was a draw). Like Kodo I never wanted to be caught dead crying or showing emotion either. And I tried to act tough and like I didn't feel pain (like when a guy held scissors at my arm and atarting closing them a bit and kept a poker face. I mean he did seem impressed so it worked).

Looking back I think it's funny how I tried to get myself a "macho" reputation, crushing juice boxes and making jokes about girly stuff with other guys...

7. Najlen

I totally did that too! I was really bad at it though, I've always been pretty weird and they didn't really know what to make of me.

8. Rickystarr

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes definitely. But I was very competetive in general. I wasn't really trying to impress as much as outdo.

9. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Well, I was one of the guys. We did our competitions and our fighting like young boys do. Annoyed the girls. And I values male ideals a lot and so do I today.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This, I think, sums it up.

"Bet I can race my bike to the end of the street and back before you can!"
    "Bet I can keep my hand in this ice bucket longer than you can!"
    "Bet I can eat more burgers than you can!"

It's like if there was a boy around, any ordinary, everyday thing had to become a challenge or something. :lol: And it's funny because I wasn't entirely unfeminine...but even in that, it was like a challenge..."Bet I look prettier in this dress than you could!"

And on top of that, I was very defensive about out-boying every boy...because if he asked for it, if he made a comment about me being a girl, or in any way not being as tough or as strong or whatever...well, I might have fought a few boys.

11. Amdukias

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    100% me

12. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always hung around (and still do) with the nerdy boys so physical strength wasn't really a great deal. I never had any issue fitting in with them.

13. dyl pickle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah yes, one of my favourite things to do was holding doors open for as many people as possible. It would drive my friends crazy xD

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2017 at 03:21 PM ----------

That was what I was like as I got a bit older.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2017 at 03:24 PM ----------

Same here - I never actually hung out with the guys because as lucky as I could get in the moment, I have never been physically "adept".

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uuugh, do I count as FtM? *scratches his head*

I never aimed to impress guys. I did, but I didn't intend to. For me it was rather natural to compete, get into fights, try to be tough and so forth.

15. Rozco

lmao I did/do this so much.
    When track was coed in middle school I'd train more and harder so that I could keep up with the boys on road runs. With baseball, I'd stay at practices longer so that I could improve my hitting. I learned to play the drums so I could be the most metal dude.
    Even with clothes I try to dress the most formal or matching outfit. Hahaha

16. StormyVale

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Michael (emerry), I also am not strictly trans but thought I would comment as well.

This whole feed kind of makes me go "Oh, is that why?". I have had both male and female friends sometimes more male or more female. I am bigender AFAB, but often I have hung with the boys. In gym classes I would consciously choose the class i liked but it ended up being the more masculine or male dominated class choice or something other female friends didn't choose to do. In school I had a good circle of both male and female friends. But even when I was really young I would still hang with the guys on the playground to compete or do what they were doing. For me it was never about attracting one of them, but about competing or being "one of the guys" to do what they were doing.

17. OtterGrump

In elementary school I was a really tough kid and probably could beat up any of the guys if I wanted to. In the younger grades (K-4 I think) I had some cool guy friends and was always one of the best at sports (my dad had my brother and me in a lot of sport teams) and loved being physical. Then after that the guys turned into jerks and were just stupid. My girl friends and I also had guy friends but they were more softspoken, shy, and nice. Haha, so I was still rougher than they were. Now my friends are still girls because the guys are either jerks, stupid, or annoying, but most of us aren't feminine really so it's nice.
    Oh and I'm not sure of anything right now or out so things might be a little different, but that's my experience. I'm pretty sure that next year I'll still be on the girl's volleyball team because things are complicated. Or if I become sure of things then I won't be on any team because I wouldn't be good enough for the guy's team. We'll see.

18. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When i grew up there was only one girl in our gang and she wanted to play with dolls and whatnot with me but i always ran off with the guys. There was a lot of fighting and proving who's the strongest. I would get pretty upset when they called me a girl.
    As for impressing guys i still find myself doing that sometimes :grin: I'm the only female in my class so i try to be one of the guys all the time.

19. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the best description of my elementary school life ever. Just add in a bit later on I realised that I wasn't particularly good at sports and then tried to fit in with all the guys who sat around playing pokemon on their Nintendo DSs, and id make it my mission to beat all of them with my lv 100 Empoleon, and to learn all of the pokedex perfectly so I could appear more knowledgeable and cooler than the other guys. It didn't really work, I was just called weird because I had to wear a dress and had long hair, but I still persisted there because girls were hard as hell to talk with :dry:

20. DirkStrider01

I know what y'all mean. I did this when I was younger too. But I ended up falling into a hole of toxic masculinity. I felt like I couldn't show any emotion or sign of weakness.