1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for FtM Trans People

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gunsmoke, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I'm hoping this is the right forum for this rather than the gender identity one...

I have a FtM trans friend who has found that, once he started identifying as a guy, his periods have been really irregular, and at the moment, he's about two months late.
    He says that there's no pain or anything, it's literally just a delay.

I figured that since things like stress and depression and stuff can delay periods, it's not really a stretch to assume that being trans can, too. Then again, I'm a) cis and b) not a medical expert.

Have any of you experienced something similar?

Thanks a lot!

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main thing that would affect menstruation is taking T or birth control. But if he is doing neither, then there must be another cause.

Insofar as being pre-T, there is nothing about being trans that should stop one's period. It should be treated with the same precautions as a woman's period. The only things that would delay it, that I can think of, would be extremely low body fat, mood or hormone irregularities, pregnancy, or an unknown health issue. Though sometimes there can be be a natural delay, I would start to be concerned if it went on too long without any foreseeable cause. Periods don't just "stop" for no reason. Though believe me, many transguys would wish it so.

#2 Kodo, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  3. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm ftm and i've had the same kind of problems. Period too early or too late. One time i was 2 weeks early and that kinda freaked me out. I've actually been considering going to a doctor but i'm so anxious and don't know how to handle these kind of things. I could ask my mom to help out but i don't know how to talk her abt it. Any advice would be welcome :slight_smile:

4. Najlen

I would definitely advise going to a doctor. If you've started your period less than a year ago, irregularity is fairly normal. But after 6 months to a year it should have settled into a fairly steady cycle. It could be irregular for a simple reason like changes in your diet or the amount of exercise you do, or stress, but it's a good idea to see a doctor about it because there are a lot of other underlying problems that can cause that to happen as well.

5. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks Najlen! I'm 18 so been having periods for a while. I'm generally pretty bad at keeping track of my cycles but ever since i really started considering that i might be trans i've been more irregular. I don't know if that makes sense but it's added stress so maybe that is at fault. I am planning to see a doctor in the near future, don't know when though.

6. Rozco

Stress is a factor. Also important to note that many people, once they start really thinking about being FtM, consciously or subconsciously restrict/overexercise and this can most certainly lead to an irregular period. This is the case with my friend and I who both dealt with eating disorders directly influenced by gender dysphoria.
    If this isn't the case, though, stress and anxiety DO have a major effect on periods.

7. RobKing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't like exercise and i don't pay attention to what i put into my mouth so it must be the stress. I am a big heap of anxiety though and that is exactly what keeps me from seeing a doctor (and therapist for that matter)

Feel like i'm invading someone elses thread with my own bullshit here :frowning2:

8. PrinceVegeta

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My period is always very late but that's because I work out a lot, probably. It's the only thing I can think of that gives that result. Perhaps he has been working out more recently to feel more masculine?

9. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't feel this is normal. When I still had mine, I did overexercise at one time and it had zero effect. I was irregular (always been), but it was always one or two weaks late/early max. Plus, months of delay is definitely suspicious.

10. YeahpIdk

Obviously everyone will be different, but even subconscious stress about getting a period can totally put it off. I once didn't get mine for an entire college semester when I was taking 20 credits. I'm not saying this is why it happened, it could have been pure stress, but I remember thinking to myself that I wouldn't have time for periods and everything that comes with them for the work load I was about to take on...and I didn't get it, even once. It was very strange, but I welcomed it. I went back to being regular eventually, but anything can throw it off.

I would suggest that if they begin to have any other symptoms, like not feeling well, fevers, unusual pain, possibility of pregnancy or it goes on for more than 6 months they should definitely go to a doctor. I feel like a gyno would maybe do a few tests to check things out and then wave it off. They never seem to get too worried when things like this happen, as periods are a strange, elusive creature all their own.

11. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A week or two I could see, but months? I think your friend needs to see a doctor. It could be nothing or it could be something. My wife was pretty irregular before she got on hormonal birth control, but never more than two weeks at most.

12. YeahpIdk

Months actually is not a cause for concern if the person is otherwise healthy. Usually around 6 months it becomes something that would require testing. Two months really isn't anything to worry much about.