1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ozma, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone seen the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena? What do you think of it? (I'm only on episode 12, so no spoilers from after that episode.) Also, what are some good animes similar to it?

2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Many people seem to be quite fond of RGU. So, I'm curious, what do you like about it? Knowing this might help me to recommend more anime :slight_smile:

Judging by what little I know about RGU, it's a drama anime dealing with serious issues. I've watched a lot of anime with serious drama or tragic themes, but they might not be exactly what you're looking for

If you want morbid/dark themes and lots of symbolism, then you can enjoy both on an amazing level with Neon Genesis Evangelion

3. Ozma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I've heard a lot about NGE and it looks really good. I've been meaning to watch it when I have the time.

4. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've heard it was really good it and everyone is bisexual pretty much lol. I haven't seen it but read that the movie shows Utena & Anthy more affectionate towards each other. I actually appreciate it for having Utena challenging gender norms as far as her being a prince.

5. kavu

I've seen it. Loved it! I was always analyzing the characters and symbolism. There's so much going on in RGU it's hard not to finding hidden meaning in virtually every scene or story-line. I was a pretty big fan of Juri Arisugawa. that whole "perfect girl has everything except the one person she really wants" theme was super interesting to me. And the locket...my goodness that freaking locket. *sigh*

Anthy was pretty interesting too. She was so complex, and the more you learn about her and Akio is just heart-breaking. It make Utena so necessary in their world, because she IS the revolution that everyone needs. The movie is even more phenomenal...it just doesn't divest as much time into sub character story-lines.