1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are some positives about being LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Georgia111, Jan 29, 2017.

1. eMei

I feel like I'm more "awake" by being different from the mainstream/the norm, if that makes sense. I'm a lot more aware of issues that face certain minority groups, ie discrimination, as my own people are affected by this issue too. It's also nice to have a tight-knit community feeling - LGBT people tend to look out for each other more, which is so good. Like, I'll always have a sister in my friend who is a lesbian.

2. bulbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think there is anything positive about it, maybe it less stressful for some people, but life is so much easier being str8

3. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think coming out has brought me closer with my siblings.

4. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Being part of a great LGBT community and the friends that I have made there are things that I owe to being a lesbian. This community and these friends have made a huge positive influence on my life. I don't know where I would have been without them.

Another thing that I find positive about being a lesbian is that I have no desire to be with guys. Some guys are great, but I think that the most jerks are among straight guys judging from my own experiences with men. In my experience, men are more likely to disrespect a woman's boundaries and they are also more likely to disrespect a woman. Men are also more dominant than woman in general and in straight relationships, they feel the need more to fit into traditional gender roles. I really don't like traditional gender roles and dominant males. They are intimidating and limiting to me and I'm not submissive. I also think that it would be harder to find someone who I'm sexually compatible with if I was straight - women are generally more submissive and men are generally more dominant during straight sex it seems. Honestly, it seems boring to me to just lie down and be pounded all of the time lol, and I also think that finding a guy who doesn't feel like he has to be the dominant one during straight sex is hard. I also read a study once that basically confirmed that lesbians have better sex than straight women because they orgasm more and the sex lasts longer than straight sex. So, in short, I think having sex is generally more enjoyable as a lesbian than as straight woman, and I also think that I'd feel more free in a lesbian relationships. But, maybe I would feel completely different about all of this if I was straight, who knows.
    What I like about being gay is that there are no traditional gender roles in lesbian relationships and women are more respectful of other women in general. Women also understand each other better, I think. I also really dislike sexism, and I think that it is less prevalent in lesbian relationships than in straight ones. Also, the sex. The risk of getting HIV is less during lesbian sex and you can basically go on forever since you both have vaginas. So I guess that I'm glad that I'm gay.

5. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    understanding why your straight friend likes someone

6. SkyDiver

If I wasn't gay I'd probably be homophobic, based on my upbringing. I wouldn't trade it for a million years.

7. Candace

If I weren't gay, I probably wouldn't be aware of gender roles and how our society kinda forces them. I'm happy that I don't have to have the same life as all my ancestors: have a wife, two or three kids, house in the suburbs.

8. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m kind of glad this thread exists, we often talk about what’s bad about being gay- so it’s a nice change of pace to talk about the good for once. Like others, it has helped me gain a more in-depth understanding of certain issues like self-hatred and questioning self-worth/purpose, as well as understanding suppression and how the mind can fool us. :eusa_thin

Which in turn has made me more interested in how the mind works, and looking into philosophy. I also think that if I wasn’t gay, then I probably wouldn’t care as much about looking into how society treats certain individuals, how it stereotypes them, and mannerisms- plus the self-consciousness that comes with them. It also has made me want to look into politics slightly more, since LGBT rights are often a matter of discussion when it comes to laws and politicians across the world these days.

I would probably have less interest in alter-egos, double lives and the ways people lie about things and the techniques they use to convince others and/or themselves of something being true when it isn’t- and what lead them to do that.

Also, if I wasn’t LGBT, I highly doubt that I would have ever stumbled across this website, never mind made an account. I wouldn’t have much reason to, since I would have never made those searches asking about gay related topics which lead me here in the first place.

I know some people here have told me that my advice on certain things has helped them, or inspired them, and if I’d never made an account here I probably would have never had some of the conversations I’ve had on my profile wall and my threads- which would be a shame to me. I enjoy most of the conversations I have here. :slight_smile:

#28 Canterpiece, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  9. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    positive thing: theres no such thing as "dont do that thats gay" anymore. because you go "so....?" since you are infact gay.

10. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best part

I stopped myself from doing so much because "thats gay".

11. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    oh yeah me too, now im fabulous af

12. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As somebody who's pansexual-ish, I get to appreciate all sides of the spectrum. I know that isn't very significant for most people but I like to appreciate the little things.

As somebody who's trans and in the closet, I get to seriously mess around with people. Once again it's nothing too big, but when a guy mocks me/catcalls and shit, I make sure to respond with something that makes him never want to mock a girl again. They never expect me to be as blunt as I am especially since I look like a twelve-year-old.

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have to worry about knocking anyone up.

14. Jellal

I got closer to both my parents, started talking to them more. They also opened up to me about problems they'd been dealing with privately. I think it helped their lives, actually.

15. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, since I lived for 27 years being perceived as a guy I have a better understanding of what men go through. So I have empathy for a lot of the things men are forced into expectation wise. As for my sexuality, finding people attractive without limitations is rather nice. I can also talk about guys to straight women and turn around to talk about women with lesbians; so conversations are fairly open in that area.

16. choni

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can help you open up your mind. There's also a great sense of community; take this website, for example. Yes, we have to face more adversity and hardships than non-LGBT people, but fighting through it gives me a sense of pride. Although, I do have a lot of pride to begin with. I love being part of the LGBT community because it's just who I am. I love being able to be myself. I hope you can feel that way too. Me personally, I found a celebrity who happened to be gay, and she was kind of like a gay role model. I thought, "wow, she's gay and totally normal. I admire and accept her, so I can accept myself, too."