1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Reciprocal, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm planning on getting myself a laptop which I will mostly use for Microsoft Office documents, research/web browsing, online shopping, ripping CDs, and playing simple games (I'm not a hardcore gamer).

I'm looking for something that has Windows 7 if possible because I dislike Windows 10, doesn't have a touchscreen (seriously, why are they putting touchscreens on computers??), and is on the smaller side as I'll be carrying it around. I'm looking around the £200-£300 mark.

If anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.

#1 Reciprocal, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. HikaruStop

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe a more up to date netbook but mine started to slow down. I had to get a new one but I suppose all laptops do eventually. And yes, screen size does matter. Pay attention to screens and laptop bags.

Hope I help at least a bit xD

Good luck in your mission for the perfect laptop (p.s. windows 10 does suck!)

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not try a Mac? You wouldn't be able to use Microsoft Word, but they are great laptops if you are not a hardcore gamer. Plus they are very easy to use.

4. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Office for Mac exists and it works rather well if you don't have any specific needs.

5. killswitch0029

Don't know of any good ones off the top of my head, but I can recommend that you should steer clear of HP like your life depends on it.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your chances of finding anything with Windows 7 at this point are slim, sadly. 10 gets a worse rap than it deserves IMO, but 7 was definitely better, the best version of Windows IMO. That being said, most people I know who actually give 10 a chance, and actually take the time to get used to it end up not hating it at least.

Look for an i5 with at least 6gb of RAM, or an i3 if it has 8gb. I'd recommend Lenovo or HP. Lenovo is probably better, though I am quite happy with my HP.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used Macs before and didn't particularly like them. Do you guys know if Chromebooks are any good?

8. Nikky DoUrden

You say u dislike windows 10 but if the reason is technical details, there is an addon u can download called "Classic Start Menu", it makes windows 10 looks like windows 7, toolbars, search, and more customization options.... as others said it'll be hard to find anything without windows 10 on it nowdays.

And i'd recommend anything Asus, u can check anything they have according to your budget

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds good. I probably will end up getting a Windows 10 one and use the add-on to change the look of it because that's what annoys me.

10. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Chrome books, IMO are not worth it. I think that they are slow and not very user friendly, but I am also a mac person so..

11. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    like Nikky DoUrden said, ASUS is a pretty good brand. I've never bought a chromebook but a general issue with them is compatability. They just aren't really compatible with much software because of it's os being basically a niche version of Linux. Most of the people at my university who've bought a chrome book either returned it for a different computer or use it for basic web browsing and then do anything else they need to on one of the computers in the school library.

12. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Don't get an acer. I had one, thing was a piece of shit. Never worked correctly and stopped working a year in. :dry:

13. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I've heard good things about Acer (I use an Acer tablet and it's been perfect).

14. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For 300 GBP you won't be getting anything too nice. Definitely not a Mac and you're going to have to compromise.

If you'll need MS Office, then Chromebooks are out of the question. Then avoid anything with an Intel Celeron or an AMD E1 processor, they are very, very slow, as in about as slow s a ten year old midrange laptop. I'd recommend a minimum of 4 GB RAM which is only barely enough but in that price bracket is standard.

Forget about battery life by the way. A 300 GBP notebook with decent (5 hours plus) battery life is going to be heavily compromised in performance.

15. sonnolento

sonnolento Guest

Chromebooks don't run windows like you are looking for. My mom has an Acer chromebook and it runs beautifully for web browsing and simple things the avg person would do on a computer. Not entirely sure about how it is for gaming.