1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50 Book Challenge

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Dec 24, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

I've been doing the 50 Book Challenge this year, have managed to read 47/50 books and I'm not far off finishing number 48, though the actual number would be around 52/53, if re-reads are counted, because I've read one novel three times this year, and another twice.

Has anyone partaken in the 50 Book Challenge for 2016? If so, how did you get on/how are you getting on? Is anyone going to try it for 2017?

Joe

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Didn't take part in a 50 book challenge but my goal was to read around 35 books this year. I have surpassed it. Reading my 45th book at the moment and been thinking of trying to reach the 50 mark.

I'll definitely be trying it for 2017. :slight_smile:

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't formally partake in this challenge, but by happenstance I read over 50 books this year. I did however set a personal goal of 60 books in 2017, so I'll see if I can reach that. I read a lot of academic papers throughout the year and sometimes that takes away from my book-reading.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This sounds cool if your goal is to avoid reading less, but not so cool if your goal (*cough* mine) is

1. To find books that have the potential to challenge me
    2. To extract as much from the lecture as I can

I wouldn't like to feel rushed to finish a book, just because I have to, and then rush to the next one. Reading is not fast food to me, and by the way I do not eat fast food either...

Also I read a ton of technical papers for work (and sometimes pleasure too), therefore I must pick up whatever I read quite carefully, which means Non-Fiction is King of my shelves. (Contemporary) novels are rarely on my list, I just don't have the patience to read a sigle page of crap telling myself 'Okay, the writer is just warming up, be patient, be patient...'

5. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can read a good book in three hours. That would only take me about two months, if I had all the books.

6. ghostly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I started this year with the intention of doing the 50 book challenge, but I ended up reading like 4 books lol. I used to read multiple books every day, I honestly don't know what happened.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a great idea.

I shall have to implement it for 2017.

8. rudysteiner

I've really enjoyed doing it this year. I'll definitely try and do 50 different books in a year at some point, but for 2017 I'm slowing the reading down and reading some of the longer books I've wanted to read for a long time, because I find that the longer novels that I read are often the best.

So far on the list for 2017 are The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Les Misérables by Victor Hugo and 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I'm also about 200 pages into Michael Chabon's Kav & Clay, and once I finish that I've promised myself I'm going to read Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

9. campervankid

A good John Steinbeck book is East of Eden although it is quite long if you are trying to read it before the year is out.

10. rudysteiner

I finished East of Eden last week. It's my new favourite novel and I still have dreams about it even now. :lol:

11. RMember1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't participate in a challenge this year, but for 2017 I would like to read at least 40, aiming for 50, books.

12. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nice idea! Since i entered college, ironically, i've been reading less books, and i've been cheating myself with the "i don't have time" idea.

I'll try this in 2017! To start, i need to finish Shadows of the Horde. :slight_smile:

13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Excellent selections. 1Q84 is among Murakami's best--I must recommend that one. The Count of Monte Cristo and The Grapes of Wrath are also highly recommended. Hope you enjoy all of these.

Among my goals for 2017 include to read:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
    Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
    Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon

14. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is such an awesome idea! I'll definitely be doing this in 2017.

15. rudysteiner

Yeah, I bought 1Q84 a few weeks ago but I've been putting off reading it for some months now. I've already read a few of his novels (The Wind-up Bird Chronicle; Norwegian Wood; South of the Border, West of the Sun; Sputnik Sweetheart) so I thought I might as well give this one a go for my 'big book' year.

I've heard very good things about Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Might give it a go at some point next year. Lolita is wonderfully written and I read about 100 pages of it, but like many people I know, I got too freaked out by the paedophilia and had to stop reading. I hope you get through it! :lol: