1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No sexual experience and dating problems

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sawyer, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, and apologies if this is in the wrong sub board, and the long winded post--but, I am internally having a crisis.

So, when I first came out to myself (late at 23), and started actively seeking girls to date, I met someone who I would enter into a 3 year, very complicated relationship with (it was like being in a long distance relationship without being long distance because her parents would freak if she was gay and she had all these rules about when we could meet and it couldn't be often because her parents would get suspicious). That was fine, I was super busy juggling school and work and we talked every day and saw each other when we could. She was religious and believed in waiting until marriage, and I'm not the person to pressure someone into having sex and I loved her so I didn't care about that. Long story short: she ended up cheating and I should have caught on sooner because she began to cancel our already scarce dates. But nothing ever happened between us.

The relationship ended when I was 26, and then I was in a rut for a year. I was heartbroken to find out the new girl she was with was able to see her more often. I needed time to heal and now I am in a good place, and I have started putting myself back out there.

The only problem: I'm 28 now and a virgin. I haven't slept with anyone ever, and I didn't think it would be a big deal until I started reading profiles on dating sites and talking to some girls who it is a problem for.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm talking to a girl I like now, and she seems really great, but she has been in long term relationships and I know eventually it will come up about my none existent sex life, and I'm worried it will be a deal breaker.

:icon_sad:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there. I'm 26 and I'm still a virgin by every single definition (I've never even kissed anyone). I fully feel your frustration because nobody wants me either. I'm too "old" to be a virgin.

Where are you at?? People like us need to get together. JK

But in all seriousness, you should bring it up with her. If It's a dealbreaker, It's a dealbreaker and she would want to know. I hope she accepts you, but if not you might need to search around. I understand it, it sucks a LOT. I accept other people's dealbreakers, but this one just gets really frustrating. It's hard to get experience if nobody gives you a chance. I actually started preferring other virgins or inexperienced women just because they are way more understanding and less likely to judge me. I don't think It's bad to have experience, and It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me if people understood more, but right now I just feel safer with others with my experience level.

Sorry you're dealing with this too. I completely empathize.

LittleStargazer likes this.
  3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Sawyer,

First, i'm sorry about what happened in your first relationship. But at least, that's in the past now.

About being a virgin, it is not a big deal. There are many people who are much older than you and are still virgins.

In resume: If someone makes a big deal out of this, then you deserve someone better, who would be interested on you because you are a nice and interesting person, and not because you have/haven't slept with X people before.

TL;DR: You deserve someone who doesn't judge you because of this. Being a virgin is totally normal, and it is not a big deal.

4. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your response, and I think it's so crappy that there is a stigma associated with being a virgin. And for some reason, and don't quote me on this, I think it's even harder if you are gay and a virgin as opposed to straight and a virgin?

I know, and it's been on my mind, but the timing has never been right. With the past girls I've talked to there has always been a lead in. My only two options are just texting it to her and throwing my phone away, or hoping a first date doesn't lead into a second which would then lead me to texting and throwing my phone away.

Agreed, and I mean for me, if the situations were reversed, it definitely wouldn't be a deal breaker. I believe there is more to keep a relationship than just sex, but reading profiles it seems like it's just sex and it is discouraging.

Thank you. Fingers crossed there are understanding people out there.

---------- Post added 12th Dec 2016 at 06:49 PM ----------

Thank you for your response. It's comforting to know that there are others who don't think it is such a big deal about still being a virgin.

5. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first came out, I was 26, and had never been with a guy (I had with one girl awhile back). I put it on my online dating profile that I was newly out. Looking at some of the questions I'd answered, like "top or bottom," I put that I wasn't sure yet. I figured it would probably scare some people off at first, but anyone who read it and still traded messaged me would be ok with it. It worked out just fine for me.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oddly enough, I think gay virgins past the "normal" age are more common. I mean, it can take a long time for someone to come out as gay. They could come out early, but can't find a partner because gay people are the minority. If they came out early, they may choose to not sleep with the opposite sex out of fear they wouldn't like it and that it would waste their time. So if anything, more people should expect that we exist even after the age of 25.

7. adrenaline

i believe if the girl as great as you say, you should be honest with her or find some way to tell her this. maybe she will be very supportive and help you through this? maybe you will have your first time with her. of course it is easier for me to talk, but me and my girlfriend, she always repeated to me "if somethings wrong, just tell me" and if she hurt me or did smth pleasurable i always said to her and everything's fine. so all i really want to say, just build some trust, some intimacy in the atmosphere and try to be honest, because when i was a virgin well, my girl did things to me first, so i "have seen them" and then i just tried to do the same, later on i found my own "technique". good luck! (sorry if i wasn't helpful, but had to try)

8. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, it ended up being a deal breaker. I'm not surprised, but it seems like this will be an on-going problem for me.

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry. This whole "virginity is a dealbreaker" thing is starting to piss me off too. I think I'm going to start holding "too much sexual experience" as a dealbreaker and see how everyone likes it.

10. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you. I can't be too mad, because deep down I knew this was going to be a problem. And, I was stupid enough to do it in person so that was a double hit right to my gut/heart.

11. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really shouldn't be a problem. I get that everyone has preferences and dealbreakers, but the virginity/inexperienced one just makes no sense. A virgin, ESPECIALLY a gay virgin can do well in bed the first time considering they're equated with the same sex genitals through masturbation. And someone with a lot of experience could be terrible in bed. Especially if all of their experience were one night stands where they could get away with being selfish/uncaring to the other party.

I think the only reason this annoys me so much is that It's usually a big double standard. If someone said they only wanted to date a virgin or someone with two partners or less, they'd be attacked and labeled as a slut-shamer instantly by these same people. Yet It's ok to shame and reject others based on their lack of experience. I could argue that their preference is prude shaming and misogyny, since it shames women for their sexual choices.

It aggravates the hell out of me and It's why I will no longer date a non-virgin unless they are extremely inexperienced sexually. I just feel less judged by them than I do by experienced non-virgins. Shouldn't have to have come to this, but since inexperience is stigmatized so bad, I have no use or want for a non-virgin partner anymore. I just do not trust them.

It'll be difficult to find another virgin around our ages, but I'm sure it can be done. I'm just going to remain patient until I find the other virgins, and maybe you can find someone too with time and patience.

12. Hunter8

Yeah, I am also in my upper 20s and am still a virgin. Just haven't found the right guy yet I guess. Don't feel bad, OP. You're not alone.

13. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree, but in the dating field, at least with my own personal experience--I either don't make it to the first date, or if I go on the first date, there is no second or, in rare circumstances we just remain friends, which isn't a complete loss because I need more gay friends.

I guess sex is a big deal. And I tried to explain the complexity of my last relationship and why it never happened--but also, I'm not the type of person to pressure someone into doing something that goes against their religious beliefs or their comfort zone.

Even though I was personally ready, I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience if deep down I knew she was only doing it for me, even if she really didn't want to. That's why we had so many conversations about it, and I honestly believed that we would have been long term.

I'm just starting to think that there is something wrong with me. I am very cautiously going to approach any kind of dating now. Or give up completely.

14. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's kind of like finding a job, you know? You can't get a job without experience, but you also can't get experience without a job.

It's ridiculous. I gave up on dating completely years ago because of this kind of crap. I think these virgin shamers are going to turn me into a fullblown aromantic asexual eventually.

15. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Sawyer,

I was just browsing the boards and noticed this thread. It seems like we have quite a bit in common. I'm also 28, from Toronto and a virgin. The only thing is, I don't have any dating experience and have never even kissed a woman:icon_sad: I just realized/accepted the fact that I'm gay a few months ago after years of ignoring the signs/being in denial. You are definitely not alone in terms of worrying about this (just take a look at my posts to see what I bring up most of the time!)

My biggest cause of anxiety isn't even coming out, which I've already started to do-- it's the fact that I have no sexual or dating experience. I'm worried that a) I'll never find someone and b) if I do, they won't think it's worth it to date someone like me. This is one of the reasons why I'm so apprehensive about trying online dating. I feel like people online have experience, know what they want in a relationship and won't want to bother with the effort of going through new steps with someone who they barely know if they even have any chemistry with. I guess I'm hoping I'll meet someone in real life and there will be such a strong connection that it won't really matter.

Sorry to make this about me, but I just really want you to know that you aren't the only person going through this exact issue. We aren't the only ones to come out late in life and deal with this (after all, there's at least TWO of us 28 year olds doing it right now haha) but it does feel very lonely and isolating. Good on you for actually have the courage to "put yourself out there" where as I'm scared to even take the steps necessary to meet someone. So, kudos to you for that :eusa_clap I'm so sorry that this was a "deal-breaker".. it's very unfair that she didn't even give it a real shot.

At least we have EC for support and people to relate to. Now, if only there were more in real life :slight_smile:

16. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Canadian,

If it's any consolation, I wouldn't even consider the three year complicated 'relationship' I was in a proper relationship. I think I was too young and naive and believed what she was saying to me that it was normal to have a relationship like this while we were both in the closet (before I was outed by my own facial expression).

I was too blinded by everything with her, that I would forgive her for forgetting my birthday (all the time), cancelling dates, etc...I did have strong feelings for her, and even though she was my first kiss (with a woman), and even though I have so much problems now with finding someone who is understanding that I am still a virgin, I am so happy that I never slept with her. The only thing I regret is staying for so long.

I am glad that you have accepted yourself. I remember the relief I felt when I finally admitted to myself that I was gay.

I hear you on that. It is hard to find people who understand. And I can understand, at least in my case, why it would be a deal breaker. I mean, I was with someone for 3 years and nothing. I tried to explain that I'm not that type of person who makes someone go against their religious beliefs or doing something they aren't comfortable with. I didn't mind waiting. I wanted us to enjoy the first time whenever she was 100% ready. She would tell me stories of how her ex-girlfriends used to cheat on her because they would say they are cool with waiting and then not be. I'm a woman of my word. If waiting was a deal breaker for me, I wouldn't have entered in the relationship from the start. But it wasn't.

What hurt me the most was when she wouldn't plan dates and/or cancelled the dates. When she wouldn't come over because of suspicion from her parents. How we had to be careful in public in case she ran into anyone she knew. And then how quickly she broke all of that for someone else. Bottom line: don't be like me. If someone has too many rules and too many excuses--run. This way, when they break their rules for someone else, it won't hurt because you won't be so invested. And i know it may sound bitter, but I had invested a lot of time into this person, only to have it thrown back in my face. At least she has been with someone, and won't have any problems finding someone, where as I am just struggling to find someone who won't think being a virgin is the worst thing in the world.

No need to apologize. It's comforting to hear other people's stories, it doesn't make you feel so alone or broken or damaged goods.

Believe me, I am scared too. I've gotten my heart broken plenty when people find out i am still a virgin. I can understand why someone, who say, has been out for 10+ years would be hesitant to date a virgin, but i am hoping some day I will find someone who can look past that.

(*hug*)

17. canadian

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear your relationship was such a horrible experience. It sounds like she was extremely unfair to you throughout the entire thing. It's unfortunate that people like that do so much damage to the people around them and can carry on afterwards like nothing happened.

And I do agree with you; I can see why it would be a big deal to someone who has been out for 10+ years or since they were a teenager. It's like having to go through all the beginning steps all over again. That's probably where my anxiety comes from-- the fact that I DO get it. Not to mention the fact that my best friend from childhood who is gay (and I haven't fully come out to yet) said a few months ago that anyone our age who hasn't been with a woman and is looking to do so is "automatically crazy." Like, sorry I didn't figure it out when I was 18 like you did but there's nothing I can do about it now... that just left me feeling very hurt and I can't get her saying that out of my head. Not sure why not figuring out your sexuality until you're in your mid-late 20s makes you crazy though.

I don't know if it's because of the holidays or the fact that I see a new engagement almost daily, but I really can't believe how much I've been thinking about the fact that I'm "alone." I'm not saying I'm waiting for someone to provide me with all my happiness but I've just never had a connection with anyone so I'm longing for the intimacy. To have a "person." Maybe in the new year I'll get the nerve to join some meetup groups or "Out & Out." Who knows what will happen but it isn't getting any easier!

18. YeahpIdk

Gonna pop in as a voice of someone who's not a "virgin," on either front: guys or gals.

In all honesty, there is something - for whatever reason - that can be slightly unsettling to hearing that someone isn't sexually experienced. There are a few things that have popped into my head when I've heard someone I want to be with say it, but the number one thing I've thought - especially if I really like them - is that I won't be the last. When you're the first, you're usually not the last. It gives an, over-before-it-starts, feel. Obviously, it's all insecure BS and total self sabotage on behalf of the person to turn down someone just because they're not sexually experienced.

The girl that made me realize I wasn't straight was intensely flirtatious and really forward, sexually...vocally, that is. She'd be so in my face but never make a move, and I started to wonder if she was actually a virgin and hadn't ever done anything. One day I straight out asked her, because she used to tell me how good she was at xyz (yucko. But also, lol), and then I got it out of her that she hadn't been with anyone ever. I was kind of taken aback, but had a feeling, and almost instantly was like...I cannot be with her. I'm not being her first...because I didn't want to be the person she practices on for the next one. Because I wanted her all to myself forever, which is obviously unrealistic and ridiculous (but probably semi normal when you're crushing hard on someone). And potentially would sabotage me from being with someone amazing. We still stayed friends and my feelings only grew, and then I didn't care anymore. I just wanted her and to be with her, no matter what that came along with. I never got to be wth her. She was just messing with my head the whole time, maybe like your ex, who sounds like a [bleep]. Anyway, like Chiroptera said, don't be with someone who puts so much weight on that. You don't want to be with anyone that shallow anyway.

My advice, as someone who has gotten freaked when I've heard this in the past is: don't be so quick to reveal that you're a virgin. Idk who you're talking to, but if anyone was just like, "hey girl. So how many people you been with and when's the last time? Got STDs??" on the first few dates, I'd run away. If you're the one that's revealing it because you think it's a big deal or deal breaker, you could potentially be unintentionally emphasizing it and making it seem like a problem or issue. If someone randomly popped in that they'd never had sex before, especially if we weren't talking about sex/even if we were just flirting, I'd feel like, "okay, is this a warning for some reason?" I'd just leave that kind of talking for a time when you're maybe going to get a little hot and heavy, or have some feelings for each other. It's much easier to think the girl you're dating and into hasn't had sex yet than the new chick you're talking to hasn't had sex yet. Become something and then talk about it. It's not like you're revealing anything major that someone would need to know immediately because it's an issue...I actually can't think of anything that would need to be known so immediately, like people with STDs don't even bring them up until having sex with a new partner becomes a real possibility. And those can be serious deal breakers. So my advice is, don't treat it like it's such a huge deal. It's not. At all. When someone likes someone, they won't care. They'll just want to be with that person. So go into things with that mentality.

I won't invalidate the fact that people do get weary over that knowledge. But yeah, I stand by my above advice. :slight_smile:

19. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never thought about this situation since I'm only 21 and just had my first relationship with someone who hadn't been with another girl either. In a way the newness of it and exploration was a turn on for us. I hope you guys can find someone who doesn't find it a problem. We all have to start somewhere. Bright Blessings!!!!

20. HerRainbow

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came on this thread out of curiosity and I am in the same position! I am 26 and still a virgin (slightly scary to say that out loud!). I've never even kissed anyone and it makes me somewhat insecure.

On the bright side, everyone is different! It may take a while to find someone your compatible with where having little/no experience is not a deal breaker. But it will be worth it