1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skam

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sokk, Nov 18, 2016.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Anyone watching this Norwegian show with a gay storyline? Isak finally came out! I'm so happy for him :slight_smile:

[YOUTUBE]HFX2ev91hZQ[/YOUTUBE]

2. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm always a sucker for angst and drama! And now I want to try a cardamom spiced cheese sandwich :lol:

3. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I must say I'm impressed with the acting and direction on this show, especially this season so far (I've only seen bits of the previous seasons, to be fair). Others have commented on the "natural feel" of it, and I agree.

The coming out scene is a great example of this. Naturally slow paced conversation complete with a couple awkward moments, but loaded with subtle nuance. Isak's uncertain anticipation after he says "it's not a girl". Jonas nonchalantly lightening the mood, putting his friend at ease. After all the tension the show has built between these two, now Isak has opened up and they are really speaking again. It's a pleasure to watch something that has obviously been produced with so much care.

Oh and that outrageous trailer (nudge nudge, wink wink :icon_mrgr) introduced me to the music of Nils Bech, for which I'm grateful.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've definitely seen gifs of this show around but I wasn't sure where to watch it. It seems pretty great from what I've seen of it.

5. reny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've only seen the parts with Isak (and all of the third season). It sucks because its a great show but I have to wait and find a translated version.

6. hangwithmejoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm watching ep 4 right now!

7. hangwithmejoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Damn, that was great. I keep squeeing and making flappy hands when I watch this show. I want to adopt Isak as my kid.

8. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! :eek: Tonight's episode was intense, and the questions that have been simmering for some time have been answered. I love how this show is produced. It reminds me of watching a well crafted independent film. The editing on tonight's clip was phenomenal, in my humble, unqualified opinion ;-)

9. RedHeadHatter

I watched everything up until episode 7 of the third season. HOLY FREAKING HELL I'm in love with the Isak/Even relationship ^^. As for the second season, I think they kind of screwed up with Noora's story halfway through :/

10. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Imho, they dropped the ball with ep.8. Now they have absolutely no time to deal with Even's incurable condition in a respectful manner and prepare Isak for the final episode (only two episodes left).

I also don't understand why they decided to go down the incredibly cliched story of a tragic gay love between two guys. This only strengthens the stereotype that homosexuals cannot live normal, stable lives and are bound to suffer eternally. The show is a soap opera at this point; fun to watch but it's not what actually happens with the vast majority of lgbt couples. Instead, it only furthers the common assumption that all gays are mentally ill.

My impression is that the creators of the show decided to throw the gays under the buss to "correctly" represent mental health which should have been put into a different season. To be honest tv shows like this are the reason why I think that heterosexuals should not make any lgbt content. Just don't.

11. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will be disappointed if the show attempts to wrap up this issue at the end of this season. In my opinion, the subtle build-up was done very well,and I would personally like to see this arc continue in the next season, even if from a different perspective (season 4: "Even"?). I don't know if this show would operate that way, though. Or maybe it could end with a hopeful Isak, confident at least in his identity, while the prospects for Even are yet ambiguous.

I've never personally been concerned with "the tragic gay cliche" this or that, though I suppose I understand the desire to see more positive representation. This is drama though, ;-). I would suggest two points however:

1.) The main character Isak, though experiencing troubles with his love interest, has otherwise had an extraordinarily positive experience coming out.

2.) We don't know yet that this love story is a tragic one :slight_smile:

12. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They won't continue Even's story because it was just a story plot tool to teach Isak about mental illness, after all Isak's mother is also mentally ill and his dad left her and technically him because of that. Don't expect anything more of Even after the end of this season. Actually I'm not even sure we'll see any more of him in this season as well.

However, the "bury-your-gays" trope is very much alive and doing great in cinema, so I was skeptic but hopeful at the beginning that they would portray a homosexual relationship without all of the tragedy and melodrama that we usually see. But, nope, they did it again, because I presume they already showed a normal heterosexual relationship in season two and that was enough. Yay!

Finally, their "love" story is dead. You can't expect a minor to take care of someone who has such a severe mental illness, not mentioning that his mother is also mentally ill and cast aside at this point. It's all great to wish for the best but realism dictates that Isak should not pursue the relationship, he needs to live his life and not be the caretaker of Even or his mother.

13. DaveWho

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you know what your talking about here :slight_smile: and I suspect you're correct. Hey, it's television. :icon_bigg

14. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree with everything you just said. I am not against including mental illness, but I question why they felt the need to add it to a gay storyline. It just reinforces the idea that gays are doomed to be miserable. Gays can never be truly happy, gays will always live sad, miserable lives and like you said, are doomed to suffer eternally. It's such a shame, because the season started so well, it was a happy and beautiful gay love story until it turned into an ott melodramatic mess.

I also question why they decided to use mental illness as a mere plot device. It seems a bit offensive. It was clearly only used so Isak would get closer to his mom again, and accept her and her mental illness, but I feel they could have achieved this in another way, was it really necessary to make his boyfriend have a mental illness? They had enough to cover this season anyway.. with Isak's road to self acceptance and eventually coming out. Adding a mental illness plot on top of everything else seem a bit unnecessey, which brings me to my next point.

The time constraints. Each episode is only 20 minutes long. They built up the mental illness storyline only to have it be revealed in episode 8, with only 2 episodes left. They cannot possibly do it justice in the time that is left. A bipolar disorder is a serious illness, which should be covered in a respectful and truthful matter. It is an important and serious topic, and should have more than 20 minutes dedicated to it. Again, I question why they couldn't have mental illness as a plot in another season? Why not spend a whole season on it and actually do it justice, instead of adding it on to a gay storyline as a mere plot device, just so the character could "learn"? This brings me to my last point..

They glossed over the "big questions". Is Isak now supposed to take care of Even, is he his caretaker? Is he on meds now, was he ever on meds? What happens when the meds stop working and he has another manic episode? Is Isak supposed to be there every single time something happens? He is 17 ffs. The show practically chained him to a life of taking care of someone else. He lost his freedom, and at 17 your freedom is what you appreciate the most, you are supposed to be free and live your life the way you want. Being 17 and have Isak take care of Even isn't fair, for any of them, not Isak and not Even. I can't believe they just glossed over this issue, but sadly I'm not surprised. The younger audience is ok with it, as long as they get each other in the end. I am older and I'm not fine with it at all, because I see the concequences this will have for Isak.

15. Nobo

This video has been removed by the user...

16. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    All the videos get removed. This is the only one I could find, but the quality sucks, only 360p.

[YOUTUBE]79w2dnux8Gw[/YOUTUBE]

17. Nobo

Seems like a good show now i want a dubbed version

18. Harve