1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mike Pence and Donald Trump Are Preparing To Destroy LGBTQ Equality Rights

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JonSomebody, Nov 13, 2016.

1. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I expected this. Even if Trump doesn't want to destroy LGBT rights himself, he has Pence as his right-hand man (the most homophobic governor in all of the USA), a Republican Senate and House, and soon to be conservative Supreme Court. Trump is like a puppet and will do whatever people want him to do.

This was to be expected. My question is what did people expect? I saw people on here (obviously LGBTQ) saying that a Trump presidency isn't that bad and Hillary could be just as bad if not worse. (Let's not go into a debate about Hillary vs Trump.)

My point is, I wonder why some LGBTQ people couldn't see past their own feet to understand why Trump was so dangerous. Was it white privilege? Was it male privilege? Not sure but here we are.

Good luck to us all and I hope we at least don't have the Religious Freedom Restoration Act upon us. I wish safety upon trans people via the law and safety to us all from radical Trump followers.

I suppose the only thing to do now is write our leaders, protest, and volunteer. We are kind of screwed though.

3. faustian1

Look at the bright side. The haters learned it cost them to pick on African-Americans, because they shoot back. Many politicians have learned the LGBT crowd shoots back, too. I have a theory that there is, in the US, a "quantum of hate" that is basically constant. Politicians love this. Even the Democrats. They looked around, and figured pretty much it's safe to bash people like smokers, fat people, and those forced to shop at Walmart. Republicans have been slow to find "safe" hate targets, and continue returning to those who have upped the electric fence voltage to lethal levels.

The voters printed Trump a license to re-write the rule book of Washington lawmaking, an historic opportunity he apparently is blind to. Meanwhile, the moral crusade brown-nosers showed up hoping to get those knives sharpened. Appointing Mr. Pence as a domestic issue transition poobah is a rank amateur move. Mr. Trump likes to think of himself as a sharp manager, but the results of his enterprises betray the real answer. This is one more example.

I think this is funny (remember, I lived through Nixon). Unfortunately, I had to comfort a woman today, because she is fearful the government is going to encourage hate attacks on her and her partner. All I know is, if you had a big mouth and spoke up before last Tuesday, don't stop now.

And taking the long view, if you want the Trump Administration to fail, then I think it's better that they pull this kind of thing than play the passive-aggressive route. Politics can be about arguing and fighting. We're not tired yet, are we?

#3 faustian1, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're not going to do anything.

5. killswitch0029

Considering Trump has more power than Pence will and his goals don't necessarily aim to attack LGBT individuals, I really don't think there's much to worry about unless Trump gets impeached or assassinated. That's when LGBT people should worry

6. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would like to look into, on a psychological or sociological level, the mass denial and brainwashing that took place that allowed our country to elect Donald as our president.
    I think that anyone whose ever left an abusive relationship would have easily seen red flags right away with Donald's actions.
    Really, whilst Hillary Clinton spent her whole campaign showing us why we should elect and vote for her Donald spent his showing us, reason after reason, why the white house is the last place in the world where we should put him.
    How could anyone think, that the man who hates Muslims, Latinos, African-Americans, and basically anyone whose not a white male, would not completely take away the rights of LGBTQ+ people?
    My mom always told me when I was a child, that you shouldn't trust someone who constantly says bad things about other people to you, because that means that they are probably telling other people bad things about you.
    Well, you also shouldn't trust someone who is literally targeting every minority and oppressed group in society, especially not when they chose Mike Pence as their running mate.
    The selfishness and stupidity of LGBTQ+ people who supported or voted for Trump is unforgivable.

7. DoriaN

^

Oh, you think the people that voted for Trump were the ones brainwashed? Interesting, I've seen and heard the opposite, Hillary is in bed with the media and the ones that were surprised about the election results were those deceived by the system.

Trump was actually more popular with minorities the poor and LGBT people over Romney because rather than getting in a huff over hurt feelings or political correctness he addressed issues for change, and was in favour of helping the minorities in issues of illegal immigrants and homophobia through extreme totalitarianism.

As for someone 'sounding nice' or 'sounding bad' I understand that, and God bless you; but remember: "“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."
    Hillary was a liar and a scoundrel, for every bad thing Trump said, Hillary did.

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Huh?

9. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second the "Huh?" by Pret. Also this post isn't to debate who is better for minorities between Hillary and Trump... (it's fairly clear though...) Plus Romney isn't even part of this post.

The fact is Trump/Pence/the Republicans are not good for LGBTQ Americans. I agree with you ConnectedToWall.

I know people think nothing will happen under Trump's presidency but Trump doesn't have all the power. He is one man. He is appointing racists, homophobes, and misogynists to his cabinet. They have power too. The House and Senate are Republican so any pro-LGBT legislation will be shut down. The Supreme Court isn't going to rule in favor of any pro-LGBT legislation as well. Most power comes from the Senate/House. The Supreme Court has a ton of power if any cases are taken there.

Plus we have to remember that many LGBT people have other identities that will be affected under Trump's presidency that may include their race, disability, religion, gender, or if they're an immigrant. We are a diverse community.

LGBT Americans who voted for Trump forgot that there are many of us who will be affected by Trump in more than just one way. That's what I meant by looking past their own two feet.

10. CyclingFan

Yeah, second me for not understanding LGBT people voting for Trump. I mean, yeah, Hillary was not perfect, but look at the alternative.

That we are going to get completely fucked (in a bad way, cause who doesn't mind a good fucking:wink:) by Trump and a government that is completely GOP is almost secondary to me. I cannot help but think of the even more marginalized groups, given our recent gains, and how recent was our relative demarginalization, and how much this is going to hurt them.

On a personal note, I do have mixed feelings about the record of the man who I have chosen as my avatar. But there are fights where he was on the right side, and those most passionately and eloquently. I hope that in this time of great tragedy for my country, self inflicted as it was in his, that I am able to do a tenth of what he did.

11. Feralinx

He's right they aren't gonna do anything, I mean just because he's now president doesn't give the right to tear everything down. :dry:

12. CyclingFan

Everyone else in power wants to tear it down even more than he does.

At best, he's the brake.

13. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is literally right next to a thread about Trump saying same sex marriage wouldn't be messed with. This is what I'm saying- he contradicts himself, let's wait until he does something. His word clearly means nothing, he keeps switching sides.

14. tgboymom

Uh huh. His 60 minutes interview kind of made him look ignorant. In the same breath that he said he couldn't do anything about same sex marriage because SCOTUS already ruled on that and it's a done deal, he said he would appoint a pro-life justice and attempt to overturn Roe v Wade. I shook my head. Wait... isn't Roe v Wade a done deal too since SCOTUS already ruled on it? ::eyeroll::

I've said it a dozen times and I'll say it once more. In as much as many of us can't stand the political establishment, politics requires the knowledge and expertise of a professional political operative. This is a delicate dance and Trump has no rhythm.

We all watched the debates. We all read his statements. We all saw his crazy 3:00am tweets and his paranoia about the media being out to get him. We all heard him suggest that his followers use their second amendment rights to keep Hillary out... and much much more but my strongest feeling against Trump and Pence comes from them basically saying that it's not only ok to hate the LGBT community, but it's ok to take "action" against it.

At this point, I am relying on his ignorance. Let him be and vote him out in 4 years because if he does something to get impeached, Pence will take over and he's more of a threat to my trans son.

15. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can I just take a moment to say to you ...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!..This has been my thoughts and way of thinking since he's been elected and how now so many people are just forgetting all the cynical and ignorant behavior as well as stupid things that have been mentioned throughout his campaign and want to give him a chance. FOR WHAT!!! to me..the damage has been done...and like you have mentioned...there just no way for me that I can put trust in someone who have displayed such bad behavior all along and now that he is President Elect...I am now supposed to forget about all of that. This guy had harassed and ridiculed President Obama not only through his Presidency...but even on Election Day for campaigning for Hillary Clinton. A leopard doesn't change its spots...just saying...JS :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

16. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's interesting that you call it brainwashing. I'm curious, did you go to public school? How is that not brainwashing? The government takes you from your parents 8 hours a day for 12 years?

17. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An LGBT vote for Trump is analogous to a black person applying to the KKK.

18. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply put, Trump lied and, did so effectively enough to fool conservatives. They all forgot the he has been a liberal most of his life, that years ago, he said that if he ever did run for President, he'd do it as a republican because they are dumb enough to vote for him and, he would win.

He is a shrewd businessman, a very smart one at that. He saw the political climate in this country and, saw an opportunity to strike, and strike he did. Same as he would in a business takeover. Wait for the perfect opportunity, the magnify and take advantage of the small inroads you might have until those little roads become a superhighway that will hand you the company, lock, stock and barrel, or in this case, the whole country.

Politically, Pence is a smart choice, it prevents Trump form alienating the most conservative of his supporters. That's terrible for anyone who isn't one of those ultra old fashioned, backwards thinking conservatives but, smart for Trump to do. he has effectively united almost all conservatives under his banner form the tea party to the ultra conservative while, I do believe he himself is a quite liberal man with one heck of a head for business.

Trump himself won't mess with our rights but, he may allow Pence to do so and, do so in a very dangerous way.

19. DoriaN

I think what people are forgetting is that the article posted is speculative, whereas Trump has come out and said he's not going to change the legislation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDM5EWieJzg

I think at this point having two topics say exactly opposite things is kind of silly and just adds to the information clutter/contention.

20. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You saying that is the same thing as a black person calling someone who didn't vote for Democrats a race traitor.

In fact you're being completely dismissive of an entire group of people, LGBT Trump supporters, based just on the fact that they voted for Trump.

So congrats on doing the exact same thing to LGBT people that LGBT have been fighting to not have happen to them. That is, minimized and judged based on what group they are in.