1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The End is Near

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OldDog1952, Nov 10, 2016.

1. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know about the rest of you but as for me, I feel it's A dark day in America. As I feared the american voters made the worse decision they could & elected Trump.The results will be catastrophic. As of December 1 St. I will be deleting my membership here at Empty Closets. In fact I am going to go as far back into the closet as possible. I don't believe 1 word of this BS. about A better america for everyone. He's A hater & will do everything he can to destroy the LGBT community, that he can. Run my friends as far as you can & don't look back.

2. CubbieBlue

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Don't do this! American's, by the numbers, did not in fact vote for all of the hate Trump and Pence spew. Hillary actually won the popular vote. But our outdated system of electoral votes won Trump the presidency. Now is not the time to go hiding in closets. Now is the time for us to be heard! To let them know we're here and we matter. Many of us (especially in the later in life forums) can't do that openly, but we can sure do its as "allies". We have to let America know LGBTQ people will not be bullied or made less than human. We have the support of many, many allies. Including other minority groups that will fight alongside of us (people of color, women, the disabled). He offended so many people. Now is not the time for silence. Please don't hide. Fight!

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2016 at 01:50 PM ----------

America did in fact Not vote for Trump and Pence

3. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah NO, I will die for my rights.

4. Paxana

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if it comes to, i will fight for myself and others. it's not the end, i assure you.

5. Patrick7269

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I simply won't give Trump (or anyone) that much control over me.

Trump - the coarse, bigoted thug that he is - can sit on it as far as I'm concerned.

6. afgirl

I don't feel as though any end is near. Yes, we have a new President-elect. If you do a little research on Trump, you will find that he used to be a Democrat. At any rate, Clinton's ties to countries that actually kills gay people seriously offends me.

Please read up on the Electoral College so that you understand the process. The Presidency was never intended to be determined by a strictly popular vote.

7. faustian1

Let me assume from your user name that you were born in 1952.

Surely, you must know better than this. It's easy to imagine the new fascist empire rounding up homosexuals and locking them up, like they did less than 50 years ago in Idaho and many other states, and also just over 50 years ago, in most of Canada.

I've pointed out myself in other threads how little removed we are from those days, with various moral legislation and the abuse of sex offender laws in some states. Most of the time, when I do this, my concern is, well "poo-poo'ed."

But blowhard Trump and his wingman Cruz-lite gets elected, and before he even can appoint Sarah Palin as Interior Secretary, you're sure the brown shirts are coming for the homosexuals.

First, do you remember Nixon? Lyndon Johnson? The anti-war demonstrations, the National Guard? The 1960's riots in Los Angeles? And Philidelphia. And, especially, in Chicago? Those leaders wanted to shut up the opposition, and they were willing to use bullets to do it. People let the government know where the government could shove that impulse, and nearly brought the government down in the process.

Your profile says that you live in Chicago. Is there really a dime's worth of difference, between Rahm Emmanuel, and Donald Trump? Emmanuel, who worked for Obama and then went on to run a black-site police detention center that made people in Chicago "disappear," somehow holds on to power, but you're not as worried about him as you are about Donald Trump?

It seems to me, black people aren't going to go "back in the closet," and give up progress. Why should you? If you really were born in 1952, you know at least as well as I do that the winner of the US presidential election, whoever it was going to be on Tuesday night, will be a colossal fool if he or she thought that once getting the office it would be possible to just "roll over" the opposition and stomp on them. Trump will sooner or later visit Lyndon Johnson's or Nixon's burial place and ask the headstones, "We're you really all that powerful?"

If there's one thing that I've learned from politics in the last six decades it is this: The person you think is about to do you in, actually will most likely be the last one to do it. The one you never suspected will stick the knife in.

8. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for posting this. I would also add, so far the only gay people who have experienced backlash are gay trump supporters- they have been fired from their jobs and ostracized.
    A young gay trump supporter who made a 'twinks for trump' photo series was fired from his job in New York
    Peter Theiil was ostracized and threatened with boycotts.

I would also add nearly all the violence during the campaign was against Trump supporters.

To the OP - if you were really born in 1952, then you remember a similar reaction to Ronald Regan.

9. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have to delete your account. If you are trying to hide simply change what you have written for your location. Or create a new account. I encourage you to stay on sites like this one where you have allies.
    I to wanted to leave this country after I saw the results of the election, but if you look at this from a global standpoint, there are not really many places to go. You could try Germany or France or perhaps Sweden, but if so I would decide quickly. Europe is taking in Syrian refugees I believe, and I'm not sure what their immigration policies currently are, but I would assume you could get their equivalent of a green card? I think it may be harder to get into the country though, after Trump as been put into office and they may no longer consider the U.S to be their ally. It is possible of course though, that U.S refugees will be fleeing the country in large numbers at some point, but I think for now, the Syrian refugees are the top priority.
    The U.S has one of the strongest militaries in the world. It looks like soon they will be allied with Russia. That leaves Europe and if we are lucky China and maybe some other countries in Asia to form alliances together to fight the U.S and Russia.
    At this point the U.S is probably headed towards a government like Russia, meaning that two strong powerful nations will be working together to promote fascism, trample women's and LGBTQ+ and minorities' rights.
    I choose not to leave though. I choose to fight for the country that elected Obama, the country that also elected Hilary Clinton as far as the popular vote is concerned.
    If we leave, sure, we may find safety, but what happens when that country becomes full of corrupt ideas as well?
    Do we run again?
    We can't keep running.
    The only solution is to kill the ideas.
    Fascism, sexism, homophobia, islamaphobia, racism. This is just the beginning of the list of problems this country is rapidly being infected with. But the rest of the world isn't exactly clean either.

10. BenFreeman

Not even Trump can turn back the clock.I don't believe that. You cannot put a genie back in the bottle. and I don't believe that Americans are such a brainless lot that they will all uniformly take on the values of their president unquestioningly.

And truly why should you pay the price? Can he really do anything to you?

11. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Rep and dem candidates were both big jokes for the world really. Gosh when are we going to realize these people do NOT give a damn about ordinary citizens? They are just employees of a big corporation.

Well it's hopeless. Dr Ron Paul is the next best president after JFK that US will never have.

12. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'll be shot before I go back into the closet. I'm lucky enough to be growing up in a generation that is more accepting than any before us, and I constantly am thankful that that is so. I'm not going to give that up. I love little kids. I want to protect them so that they grow up in as accepting an environment as I have.

13. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  14. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It never ceases to amaze me how far people will bury their heads in the sand. Rather than accept reality. Your dealing with A megalomaniac. If living & observing history has taught me anything, it's how power junkies Can take down A country. The list is long. I believe this one is going to make Hitler look like A boy scout. However go ahead shake your head tell yourself everything is going to all rite. Nobody wants to address the 800 pound gorilla in the room. Just remember one thing The Russians are tickled pink that Trump got elected. I suspect they had A hand in the whole thing. Just think about how they treat gays in Russia. And you think it can't happen here. Well just wait & see. As for me I'M going underground.:rolle: Oh yea I just remembered how Castro wound up being A dictator. He made A deal with Russia. But A trust worthy guy like Trump wouldn't do that. Or would he? :smilewave

15. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes you will.:eek:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:18 AM ----------

Just keep telling yourself that. :rolle:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:20 AM ----------

Like he needs your permission.

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:23 AM ----------

Denial, It's not just A river in Egypt.

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:28 AM ----------

Pull your head out of the sand. History just took A Giant step backward.:***:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:31 AM ----------

Yea I remember another prick that sold us out to the Communists:icon_sad:.

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:36 AM ----------

Sorry I didn't create this nightmare. Now that it's here it's every man or woman for themselves.:help:

---------- Post added 13th Nov 2016 at 02:38 AM ----------

16. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  17. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  18. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool man, have fun with the fear mongering. you may be "still alive" but thats all you are.

19. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey OldDog,

I've communicated with you a bunch over the last month or so. In your last thread, http://emptyclosets.com/forum/lgbt-later-life/222592-its-time-tell-you-all_-_-_-_.html you were very clear to tell us all how jaded you are and feel like you've missed the boat in being a bi man with a future.

This election has just confirmed for you that you were "right" to be jaded, that there is no hope for any of us and we're all doomed.

I refuse to be jaded.

Your responses to the posts in this thread are just more of the same. You knock down anyone's attempt to give you some hope with overly simplistic doomsaying messages. None of what you say is backed by facts, only fear and resignation.

Go ahead and go back into the closet if that's what you need to do. But I will not live in fear. I have worked too hard to come out of my closet and finally be free. No man can take that away from me.

I'm sorry you feel no hope for the future. But this fear-mongering serves no purpose here, and is destructive to the thousands of people here on EC that are looking for help and hope that this can get better. I believe that the tide has turned on the acceptance and support of many millions of people, including the straight community. We will not go backwards because there are now too many people who will not let it.

You have a right to your feelings and opinions OldDog. But do you really want to convince other people that they shouldn't leave their closets out of fear? You posted an earlier thread as a warning to others that they shouldn't waste their lives staying in the closet because of your example. Are you now attempting to undo that and get people to stay in the closet with you?

We can't have it both ways. Either we reject the fear and the shame, working hard to remove the barriers to coming out as our real selves, or we cower and hide in fear for what may or may not happen in the future.

Is this what you want for all of us?

To everyone else:

None of us really knows what is going to happen over the next four years. I am now out of the closet, out to everyone who interacts with me regularly, and I will be coming out on FB soon and just be completely out to everyone. That has been my goal since June of this year, and I'm nearly there. I fully intend to make sure my voice is heard loud and clear: I will not be silenced. I will not be closeted for anyone's comfort, and I will live my life on my terms. Will you?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

20. OldDog1952

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As usual it's taken the wrong way. I meant it as a warning A heads up, As usual you cover your ears and say no no no I just can't deal with the truth. Quote " All lies in jest, Still A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" ( Paul Simon ) So you don't want to hear it fine I'll shut up. Keep your head in the sand that way nothing will hurt you. Good luck with that. As for alive just barely But I don't intend to spend my few remaining months or possibly A year in A concentration camp. Perhaps that wont come about in my life time. However I don't feel like taking that chance. So as the man said there's no time like the present. So why wait to start disassociating myself from you people. I want to wish you all good luck your going to need it. This will be my last post on EC. Sorry to abandon you all but being Jaded as pointed out my another reader. Why should I care? I'M done doing this:bang: