1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Trump or Pence do anything in their power to limit the rights of LGBT ppl?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Nov 9, 2016.

1. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, in order to get marriage equality undone, a case has to make it all the way from a local district court to the Supreme Court. This could take YEARS(and the court will most likely not even take the case!!). Trump has zero say in the matter, it's all up to the court. So, yes, Trump and Pence will probably screw up some protection policies but no, marriage equality will most likely stay as is.

#41 galaxygia, Nov 9, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm afraid I don't understand.

The only "argument" I'm really getting is:

[​IMG]

Personally, I feel somebody is free to be as stupid as they want until they start weaponizing it. When their own decision of obstructed knowledge becomes a tool to put others down, that one person is no longer the only concern.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait a sec. People do realize that there is a vacancy on the Supreme Court and that the president gets to nominate a replacement and that the only thing which has stopped the current president from doing so is the fact that the other party is able to block it in Congress, right? So the idea that the Supreme Court is some sort of block on a Republican administration is just sort of naïve. G*d help us if someone else actually dies. I mean RBG is 83... I mean, I personally hope she'll live forever, but...

4. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay, I'll explain this a little further. If you were thrown into jail for a crime you didn't commit, like robbing a bank, because someone confused you for the actual bank robber, would you consider your time in jail to be "freedom"?

You get to eat from a variety of food available at the prison. There is a gym. You can socialize with others. You have your own bathroom. etc. Would you consider yourself free?

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, for a start they can reverse the direction of the State Department under Clinton which previously issued trans-affirming passports. A Trump administration could reverse that.

They could also have the Department of Education reverse their guidance on gender discrimination and how it currently applies to protecting transgender students.

At least four trans teenagers committed suicide on election night, and god only fucking knows how many more may do so in the coming days.

A Trump administration, with a Republican majority in both houses of Congress, AND a so far acquiescent and pusillanimous Democratic minority could push through judicial nominations that will prevent the trans community from getting our Obergefell equivalent landmark case for... say... decades.

Yes, this election was consequential, and yes there are tangible ways things can get bad for us.

6. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I've actually heard guys say that they wouldn't care if their girlfriend cheated with another girl because that isn't real sex but with a guy they'd be furious. Some of those same guys hate gay guys simply because they don't fetishize them. Then in a relationship people may ask, "Who's the guy and who's the girl?" Um both are the same gender. And being a bottom doesn't automatically mean that a guy is a "queen". I really wish people could mind their business with what consenting adults do.

BTW, my condolences to you and your friend. I know rape cases can be hard to prove and should be looked at objectively but for the judge to laugh at it is shameful.

You be safe and I wish you nothing but happiness in the future(*hug*).

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. Btw, I don't get the "real sex" logic that straight men have. If they don't think oral sex is real sex, fair enough....but I bet you that they would still be furious if their girlfriend gave a guy a blowjob. Or the other guy went down on her. So what's the difference? It's not about sex to them....It's about patriarchy and believing that women are property to men. Women aren't viewed as people, they're toys, and that's why women aren't threatening. Because we aren't real people and don't deserve rights. That's also why straight men hate gay guys...they think they are making themselves feminine and thus the inferior sex. A "real" man is supposed to be macho and own/dominate women to them. A guy who takes it in the ass is just "being like a woman and sacrificing his manhood". Ugh.

But I am getting off topic....continue on, thread.

8. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm glad burai97 got it. I'll quote what he said for you:

The problem with you is, SkyWinter, that you don't really seem to get normal expressions. You were arguing before that "giving someone false hope" is not possible because you are not "giving it". Now you are doing something similar again.

-

It's quite clear that you're struggling with the concept of freedom yourself. Okay, so let's say you have the freedom to get slaves. Like, there's an exception only for you. Now if you decide to do so (that is, get slaves), you are essentially impeding people's freedom (assuming that you agree that slaves are not free). So you are using your freedom to impede people's freedom. A simply example demonstrating how someone's freedom can impede someone else's freedom.

You can look up the definitions of freedom easily. Consider the Oxford Dictionary for example.

9. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    No I get where you're coming from I'm with you. It comes from insecure hyper-masculine bs. Notice the countries with less education feel like women should be property. If you feel women are equal there's nothing to fear and yes we have our differences but women are competent at being leaders. Depends on the person not their gender.

Also I'll hear people say "Men masquerading as women!" but trans men exist too. It's like people think, "How dare a guy give up his manhood to be a woman!". It's annoying and I feel for trans women but the community as a whole.

10. Sealgirl19

Not to sound like a jerk but gay marriage isn't my biggest concern with him. Our economic standing, treatment towards minorities, and flip floppy attitude is.

11. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Didn't Trump just pose for a picture holding a LGBT flag? I think Pence is the anti-LGBT person, not Trump. Though, I don't follow politics much at all so it's what I think.

12. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He did indeed, he was holding the flag upside down though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Republicans are conservative, socially. Of course they'll try to fuck things up. I'm not
    "blindly liberal" though. I'm liberal because my values are more progressive. I believe that we should allow abortion, ban assault weapons (unless you need one for your career), and allow same-sex marriage.

14. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

You're mistaking freedom, a state of being, for an action, the process of doing something to achieve an aim.

You also keep approaching freedom as if it is granted through laws. Hence why you said "Let's say you have the freedom to get slaves. Like, there's an exception for you"

15. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I'm not. Read my example and see how the different definitions of freedom apply.

"Let's say you have the freedom to get slaves. Like, there's an exception for you"

Freedom
    1 The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants
    1.2 The power of self-determination attributed to the will; the quality of being independent of fate or necessity.

Then the second part "you are essentially impeding people's freedom"

Freedom
    2. The state of not being imprisoned or enslaved

-

Both Aussie and I have given you several ways to measure various forms of freedom (economic freedom for instance), we have explained why we think it's subjective, I've advised you to look up dictionary definitions, we have linked you to some philosophical viewpoints regarding freedom, but you are still not getting what I'm saying.

"You also keep approaching freedom as if it is granted through laws." is one of the sloppiest statements I've read from you. I see freedom as some subjective measure, not necessarily granted through laws. This is particularly clear from the previous discussion we had about it. As always, I suggest you to read my posts carefully before you state such things.

16. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Ya I was worried if Trump would take away rights like gay marriage but Kent said he won't be able to do this since everyone will be targeting him and he will get in trouble. But I don't know what will really happen.

17. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a hope that he gets impeached due to all the scandals.. hopefully the brave women who got raped by him stands up and burns him down.. Of course on the other hand he could go out of his way to stop racism as he is the catalyst atm. Of course highly unlikely.

18. Olle

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's easy to wave a flag, especially one that came from someone in the audience. It means nothing to me. His views are anti-lgbt and no amount flag waving will change that.

I'm not sure if things have changed, it's possible that at this point many people do view red as right side up now since it's most commonly shown that way, but Gilbert Baker who designed the flag didn't intend for there to be a right side up.

19. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? I wasn't aware of that. I thought the red side was supposed to be on top. If that's true, that there's no side up, then I stand corrected. =]

#59 Quem, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  20. JC9715

Unfortunately yes, yes they can.
    Often the president doesn't have much power because all the people in the house/senate/whatever have different opinions from them. This is not true in this case because the house, the senate and now everything else is full of republicans, meaning that they will generally agree with most everything Trump says and laws will pass easily because they all agree on everything (which is a warning sign of a bad democracy). This basically means that if Trump were to pass an anti-LGBT law there would be no one to stop him. Which in short means this entire country is screwed.