1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents mock my music, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowsFactory, Oct 31, 2016.

1. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I am 16 and I love listening to jpop! Recently, I have been sharing some of my music with my parents and they seem to like it, but they say that it sounds like it's made for babies.

Honestly, I don't care if someone listens to kids' songs but jpop is not necessarily only for children. Most of the songs that I listen to don't have any themes about sex or drugs. However, some songs could be considered "sexy" or "mature" like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Lc8VW6pYw

There are also songs that I listen to that might sound a bit more silly or childish but I like them a lot! :slight_smile: For example, this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq4vdfFqfxQ

So basically, my parents have told me that my music sounds stupid and annoying. I don't force them to listen to it although I would like it if they could at least appreciate it for what it is. When they show me their music, even if it's not my taste, I will still say that I enjoy it and point out the positives of it. What should I do? Sorry if I sound so whiny... but jpop has helped me go through hard parts within my teenage years. I know that this isn't maybe as important as other questions on EC but I really like my music and I would just like it if they stopped making fun of it. :confused:

2. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you can do much.

I would just ignor them and listen to your music. Don't adjust your music to their taste, because you want to please them.

When I was younger I listened to German songs. None of them were appreciated by any of my family member, but I liked it. My taste then changed and now I listen to hip-hop.

My family still makes fun of me and they like to point out what music I listened to when I was younger. I just go with it. ^^

I hope this helped a bit...

#2 Jolly Hermione, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  3. RainbowsFactory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you very much! ^^ It's true that I should just not care about what others think! :grin: And German songs sound fun, I'll give them a try! haha

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually decline to share my music with my more conservative parents as they would definitely think it strange. Everything from kpop to indie to emo rock.

Your musical tastes are just that - your musical tastes. Nobody can tell you that it is wrong to like jpop. That's like telling you it is wrong to like chocolate cake more than sponge cake. Absurd.

5. SunbroIbex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ignore it, keep listening to what you want to listen to.
    My brother mocks my tastes for listening to trance and such. I don't care, I will still listen to trance and everything else that is considered EDM.
    Happy hardcore would be a flamboyant gay guy if it was a human XD

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a young teenager...my mom and my siblings used to mock some of my musical taste all the time. Its not much you can do about it but at the end of the day...I did not stop liking what I like and therefore...I really didn't care what they thought because their mocking did not stop me from buying or listening to the music I liked. By you staying with your parents I assume so...then there is nothing you can do but ignore it and keep it moving.

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just listen to what you wanna listen to.

I know that exact feeling. We used to have this thing where we could play iPod music through the car radio and anytime I got control, my parents deliberately said "None of that anime, japanese stuff, okay?" And it bummed me out and kinda hurt, 'cause none of my siblings ever got restrictions put on their music.

But, I just developed to ignore it and keep listening to what I listen to. Now, I'll jam to Hatsune Miku and musicals in the shower all the time. Just go with the flow and listen to what you want!

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, it's very rare that you'll have the same taste in music as your parents! They might make fun of your musical taste occasionally, but there is a big j-pop community and it's clearly popular with lots of people - otherwise it wouldn't exist! I'd make fun of them right back and say that they're too old to understand what the young people are into these days. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Keep listening to what you love! Who knows, one day they might walk in and find they enjoy the song that's playing.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought this would be about creating music ('cos I've created some lame music in my time)

Obviously you can keep listening to J-pop, you don't need approval to enjoy music :slight_smile:

My family jokes around when I tell them I'm listening to genres such as 'Funeral Doom Metal' or 'Blackened Death Metal' but they're being light-hearted, so who cares

Sometimes it's about presentation. For example, I lent a Candlemass CD ("Death Magic Doom") to my mother. I told her it was a really cool Hard Rock band. She liked it. I don't remember if I ever told her it's actually Epic Doom Metal

Anyway, maybe you enjoy another genre of music that your parents can appreciate (so you'd all have something music related to talk about, even if it's not J-pop)

I've actually imagined something similar before :lol: (fabulous music though)

10. Gay Deputy

I catch shit from my gay friends all the time cause I'm a die hard old country listener. To each his own. I don't listen to their Gaga and they don't listen to my Willie.

11. BookWriter1994

They did that with me and Kpop. But that was back in HS. They just keep asking why do I listen to something I couldn't understand but I still listen to it and have been for a really long time lol. It does not bother as much as it used to.

12. guitar

I listen to J-pop. I don't share it with my folks because I know they won't "get it." That's kind of the natural order of things, kids with wacky music their kids don't understand.

https://youtu.be/Yy4oURBLo98