1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News With 11 days to go... FBI re-opens Clinton investigation to review new emails

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by A Republican, Oct 28, 2016.

1. AlamoCity

I do live in TEXAS which is heavily Republican country. Since we are dealing with anecdotes, I will also tell you one. While my city in general (and most cities in Texas) leans Democrat, we have an enclave city called Alamo Heights that leans very Republican. My post office, gym, polling station, and other shopping is usually done there and I will tell you this. In 2012 we had a lot of Romney/Ryan signs everywhere on the lawns. This election I saw ONE Trump/Pence sign and ONE Hillary/Kaine sign. The rest of the signs were for local judges and local elections. I was actually quite surprised about this.

So, in general, this Republican-leaning enclave isn't exactly enthused to publicly place Trump signs on their lawns.

2. A Republican

A Republican Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And you are surprised why exactly? Texas and Utah are pinching their noses to vote for him - he'll win those but more narrowly than previous Republicans. Texas in particular is the state of Senator Ted Cruz, and he was their personal favourite. After the way Trump treated Cruz they definitely won't be too keen on him now would they?

The vast majority of Cruz-supporters (especially the Texan ones) are with Trump, but they aren't enthusiastic about him and are voting for him because he is on the conservative ticket or to stop Hillary or because of the 2nd amendment, abortion and most importantly the Supreme Court.

The more you go in very fiercely Republican areas (such as Utah) you'll find lack of enthusiasm for Trump.

3. YeahpIdk

We love Trudeau's wet dreams.

4. AlamoCity

Well, you did say, "I don't think you fully understand the concept of enthusiasm in an election, but I get it." I think you should have said, "I don't think you fully understand the concept of enthusiasm, or lack thereof, in an election, but I get it."

Many registered Democrats and Republicans that I know are going to the polls and saying "fuck me," holding their noses, and voting for a candidate that does not represent a good enough match to them and picking the lesser of two evils, or making a stand and picking Stein or Johnson (or McMullin).

I think most people realize that 75% of the country will be unhappy November 8th and January 20th and any "enthusiasm" displayed is a coping mechanism to mask the dour mood of the electorate.

5. A Republican

A Republican Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Exactly that. Republicans are a vocal minority (aren't there like 17M or thereabouts?) but it's the Independents or the not-uber zrz Republicans or even former Democrats who are excited about Trump. The rise of Trump is exciting for me most for First Amendment related reasons, since I am not American and hence I don't have to worry about the economy or Obamacare in the US.

Most Republicans love Trump, but conservative Republicans? Not so much. Look how Trump does in Utah on election day, Romney won that state in 2012 with 97% although he won not just because he was a Mormon because he was financially influential in the Olympic Games and Utah will likewise back Trump over McMullet and Hillary, even if they have to pinch their nose to do it.

But then there is the other silent segment of society who will vote Trump as a gigantic ''fuck you'' to society, especially when they see that the people they have no love for, are the ones who loathe Trump. This segment of society usually never votes and seeing that this year there are 200M+ registered voters, expect fireworks.

-------

Anyway no point in talking about that, this is going very off-topic.

#25 A Republican, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  6. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see the significance of this. Extremes are on both sides of the spectrum, obviously. Anyone under the impression that extreme views are limited to one side is obviously did not do enough research. You saying "this is taking 'democracy' to a new level" seems unnecessary to me.

Anyone should be free to state whom he or she will support. It's unfortunate you've experienced backslash for simply stating your opinion. Though, I personally find it almost as problematic that people dismiss your opinion simply based on your place of residence.

7. A Republican

A Republican Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The thing is I've seen in this election season, too much ugliness from a side I used to support, something I also saw, to a lesser degree, in parts of England some time ago. I've seen an HIV-positive gay man get told that they (a few Hillary supporters) hoped he would die before the election. This rhetoric coming from people who were themselves gay or diverse in some other manner. I've seen plenty of videos of ''peaceful'' protests by the so-called progressive left being violent, particularly in certain cities in the US such as Chicago. I've seen a lot more than I wanted to this year.

When the narrative was being pushed by the media that this was one-sided from Trump's end, I started taking an effective part in exposing other people to the lies and corruption within the media but in hindsight I did not have to - only 6% of Americans trust the MSM and for the rest of Europe it's more or less in similar numbers.

Yes I'm used to my opinions being tossed aside because I'm not American. That normally tends to happen when I have someone in a corner they can't get out of and with Hillary Clinton as nominee you have no positive subject matter at all. I guess it is a shame because people like you are eerily hard to come by these days.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Rather have a corrupt capitalist that a serial molesting facist who literally is against everything I believe in. No fuck that guy fuck fuck fuck that guy. I say this as someone who isn't voting for Clinton but you best believe I'd rather have Clinton over a guy who actively campaigns against women, gay people, non-whites, and religious minorities. If Trump wins, I'm joining the Hawaiian Sovereignty movement.

#28 Geek, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  9. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well..I am going against the grain here so to speak and I do believe that for them to come out with this so close to the election is suspect. I also heard on the news program yesterday that those emails did not come from her private server that someone who work close to her had their computer hacked and these are emails from that person server. Also, the emails have some connection to Anthony Weiner. All in all...I am still standing by her no matter what until it comes out that she actually did something horrible and wrong because in my opinion...she has yet to do or say anything on the level of Trump and yet...just to show you how corrupted this election is that a lot of people still stand by him and there is actual proof of his antics and all they can keep bringing up on her is these damn emails. So..with the choices at hand..I am still voting for Clinton. Just my opinion.

10. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What? Jill Stein is heaven compared to Trump.

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I totally agree with this, it really is. The state I used to live in is a swing state, and if you express anything about voting for one of the 3rd party candidates, both sides jump into panic mode. "Don't you know that if you do that, it won't count for anything, and will just help (blank) get elected?"

Although I'm a registered Democrat, I have to be honest and say most of the fear mongering this particular election is coming from the Democrats. I've heard statements made either directly to me or overheard to other people that, "If Trump is elected, he's going to deport everyone who isn't white" :rolle: "gay marriage will be illegal again", Radical Islamic groups will be really mad at us and it'll cause more attacks," but the number one is "If Trump is elected, he'll launch nukes, and we'll all be dead." The person that said this one was literally shaking in fear when she said this. :frowning2:

On the other side the Trump supporters say "If Hillary is elected, she will sell out the presidency like she did the State dept." While that might be true, the sad fact is almost ALL politicians, republican or democrat, do exactly the same thing. The other things are "she will take your guns away" (which some people want anyway) or "She will put liberals on the Supreme Court." , or "She will raise your taxes". None of this is as sexy though as the "Trump will start WW3 and we're all gonna die!" crowd. After all, it is the Halloween season.

The most ironic out of touch fear mongering of all from the Republicans is "She'll continue the policies of Obama." (like that's somehow a bad thing :slight_smile:)

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2016 at 10:56 AM ----------

That's the same way in the place I used to live, and also where I live now. Heavily Republican area, but very few yard signs for either side, at least right now. Right after the conventions there seem to be a lot more, but not like 4 years ago. Most of the signs on both sides have decreased. Of the few signs that are still up, there's like one Clinton sign for every three Trump signs. In 2012 though there were probably a dozen times more Romney signs than what Trump has now. No one was ashamed to say they were voting for Romney, or feared we were all going to die as a result. :rolle: It seems like although both sides have their die hard supporters, most people are holding their nose and voting for who they dislike the least.

12. Herbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It frustrates me that so many people are being so... ugh, gullible, about this, so I'm going to respond in bold.

They are reopening her case in only the most technical sense. They are investigating the potential sexting emails of one of her aides, and were required by procedure to reopen her case because of that. Kurt Eichenwald is reporting that there are exactly three emails. We have not been informed how many of them may be duplicates. We have not, in fact, been informed if they were sent to Clinton or by Clinton, and they most likely were not. Stop playing into a transparent political move by the Trump camp in making this into some sort of momentous event.

In other news, that letter was extremely against department policy, and George W Bush White House ethics lawyer Richard Painter says he's filed a Hatch Act violation complaint against James Comey for it.

13. TheGreyBetween

The emails probably have ZERO to do with her, weren't sent to or by her. They're about Weiner and his tiny dick. This is just crap. I'm sick of hearing about fucking emails. Comey's a shill. Lots of shills this election. If we're going to do this, go after all the other politicians who used private servers, no one's looking at them . . . hmm, wonder why.

I really can't wait until it's over! Blargh . . .

14. Linkmaste

I'm with this poster.

Canada will have hot cocoa and blankets welcome for any Americans over the boarder that need to come over.

P.S: Customary sorry response for the election America is going through right now. It's appalling and more a circus act by the day. I couldn't even pick a candidate even if my life depended on it if I was American.

I'll also add that while FBI has their reasons to open up the investigation, they should be held acountable to any oversight. I can already tell this will be nitpicked through both parties.

15. YeahpIdk

Hot cocoa and blankets sound nice. :slight_smile: I shall be right over!

Comey is about to be in a ton shit of trouble for doing this. No one believes there's anything new to see here. We're all quite tired of Weiner's weiner.

We're all bracing for impact here. Even when the election is over, I imagine there will be some kind of trouble still.