1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purposely avoiding contact with straight guys outside of family

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jollyjoel, Oct 11, 2016.

1. jollyjoel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am in the 11th grade. Today at the beginning of Drama class, I had one of my fellow classmates run in the room yelling "aye!" as he began to hug everyone in the semi-circle of chairs around the stage. I am openly Gay, and I'd say practically everyone in my grade knows this. When he came around to me, I was on my phone. I looked up and saw him standing there with a confused, discomforted look on his face. Everyone in the class burst out laughing, and he moved onto the next person and hugged them. I went back to my phone with a fake smile on my face to hide the pain and embarrassment.

This is the exact reason why I purposely try to avoid physical contact with straight guys outside of family unless they are the ones extending the hand shake or hug to me. I try to avoid situations like these all of the time. They seem to think that I'm going to try and make a move on them or I'm gonna catch feelings for them and it's really annoying. I am sick of it. Even guys who claim not to be homophobic and are accepting of me do this.

#1 jollyjoel, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I haven't been in a situation like that, I do that too. Anyways sorry that happened to you! (*hug*)

3. jollyjoel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

4. Rainbows~Exist

What if he just saw you on your phone and thought you were being antisocial? Maybe it's not the case but it's a possibility

5. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is what I thought when I first read OP's post. It's possible you're just reading too much into it.

6. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it's bothering you, is there any reason not to just ask the guy why he didn't hug you?:slight_smile:

7. jollyjoel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's probable, but 1) It didn't take me long to look up from my phone when he came over, it's not like I was on it for a long time and didn't realize there was a person standing right in front of me, if that were the case he would've moved on, and I don't think people would've laughed as hard as they did, 2) This person has made homophobic comments to me in the past, and 3) After it happened, a couple people said things like "good joke" to him.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know your personality, but I would have tried to turn the tables on him by standing up with open arms and saying something like "What, are you afraid that hugging me will turn you gay?" Even though you probably would just rather have nothing to do with him.

#8 Quantumreality, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016