1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans men in fanfic

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ForNarnia, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I noticed recently that in fan fiction, trans men are represented pretty weirdly.
    Basically, trans men are often represented as the weaker partner, for want of a better description.
    In all the fanworks I have read featuring trans male characters, they mainly display trans men as submissive, while their cis partner is dominant.
    It is also very hard to find naturally dominant or physically strong characters written as trans.
    I have even read some fics where the character is called by the wrong pronouns frequently, or where the trans guy has offered to present as female in order to make a straight cis guy love him.

So, my question is, what do you guys think of this?
    Personally, I find this trend to be pretty offensive. I understand that some trans men are submissive, but for every single fanfic to portray them in this way seems a little off to me, especially when cis men are portrayed to be stronger and more in control in comparison.

Can anyone recommend fanfics in which there is a dominant/strong/etc trans male character please?

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think it's because fan-fiction writers somehow glorify these topics as they do with mental illnesses disabilities and other stuff.

I can't recommend any right now...but I can see if I find some...because I've definitely read some where this isn't the case....

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't read a lot of fanfic, but from what I have seen there's a lot of submissive trans men and also calling them by their genitals or otherwise focusing on that, which I understand fanfic writers often do with cis men also but it still makes me really uncomfortable if not dysphoric (especially if mpreg is involved in anyway). I agree with Cinis that it might be a bit glorified.

Don't have any recommendations, unfortunately.

4. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think that's like a kinky sexual thing...like it's meant as a guy with a vagina and since that's not normally the case they just take a transguy for that...

I don't read A/B/O fics but from what I've seen it's usually the same deal..the guy with the "female" parts is extremely submissive and usually kinda girly and dependant.

I mean just look at the usual plot description: X discovers that his friend Y has other parts down there and suddenly without having any feelings beforehand wants a piece of that because that's apparently hot.

There's nothing wrong with kinks but..since it's fan fiction they could just use a normal guy with a vagina instead of using a transguy. Logic is lost there anyway.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2016 at 04:37 PM ----------

Also haven't looked it up yet but I remember that both the Sherlock and Nightvale fandom had some pretty good well researched in character ones.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't like it when writers use that type of kink and try to claim diversity for it. Tbh drag kings work better for it, but just that's my personal aversion.

#5 baconpox, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Maybe they don't use them because the majority of writers consists of girls and drag kings are mostly women in body and identity.

It's a kink. Not diversity. And writing a character to be praised for diverse inclusive writing is not really a good character trait either...

7. InfinityonHigh

It depends on the fandom and what the author is writing about. I've read a good number of fics with good trans representation and I don't find this issue to resonate with me too strongly, although what you (and other people) have mentioned is indeed a problem.

If you don't mind fics not being from the fandoms you're in, PM me and I can send some recommendations.

8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And as a writer who is occasionally guilty of doing this, but some writers just write subjects or kinks that get views and likes. One of my more popular stories on a site I post them to; is short and the subject matter is to risque to post on here. But it has the tags that, on that site get lots of hits. I wrote it just to get some more views.

I try and keep my own characters varied and interesting, but no matter how diverse or kinky they might be, I tend to write about things I happen to like or feel will challenge me as a writer. The hardest one I am working on involves a gay man who cross dresses as a woman and is a ballerina who falls in love with a; woman who is mostly a lesbian and cross dresses as a male and is a welder... Its so hard to keep the pronouns straight it makes my head spin. In kink speak, its a story about a trap, trapping a reverse trap...

Erotica is a hard genre to write, because you don't want to turn out cliche trashy romance novels. Where only names and maybe hair and skin color change. However there is some really great written fanfiction out, finding it is the hard part.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh my gosh, I hate reading m-preg stuff, too. Totally agree with you, though, it must be some kind of kink thing. It just makes my skin crawl.
    I don't normally get very dysphoric, which is part of why I can live as a girl without too much trouble, but when I read this stuff, it makes me really dysphoric. Like, I read this stuff as an escape, not to make myself feel worse :slight_smile:

I have actually read quite a few Sherlock ones. Some are not so bad, but some are kind of gross. The one that caused me to right this post in the first place was a Sherlock one where he offered to present as feminine, get breast implants, and live as a girl purely to gain the attention of John.
    Then again, maybe it's the website I am on that's the problem. (Ao3) Maybe things are better over on Fanfic.net haha :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 07:25 AM ----------

Will do :slight_smile: Thanks x

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 07:27 AM ----------

Agreed, it can be hard to write, but even in non-erotic fanfic (which there are surprisingly much less of recently :wink: ) it can be an issue. Sounds like a cool story though :slight_smile:

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I generally avoid trans-headcanons like the plague (although not nearly as much as I avoid mpreg; like...I canNOT). But I have actually seen some really good summeries and fanart for a transman Steve Rogers/Captain America. Like, he's still Cap, he's still big and muscles and pulling helicopters out of the sky. (He's even safe in this one fic I read, he doesn't bind while fighting/working out, even though you could totally say "fuck it, super healing'll fix the ribs"!)

11. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Naw...fanfiction.net is...trashy.

I'll search once I'm through with today's learning.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 12:08 PM ----------

@CJliving that's largely seen as a good trans-fic. Same personality and everything else as in canon but just happens to be trans.

@baconpox ...coming back to your drag-king suggestion...as a masculine women I don't really like reading those either. I mean masculinity is a right that has been fought for be it as a trans guy a drag king or a butch. Showing a masculine woman as extremely submissive (in a non bdsm way)clingy or dependant or focusing on her parts or pregnancy is something I personally find too feminizing. Sure I'm okay and non dysphoric with my parts...but it's not something I want to be reduced to.

#11 Cinis, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
  12. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't usually read Avengers fanfics, but that sounds awesome :slight_smile: I'll be sure to check out some trans Cap stories next time :slight_smile: Thank you

13. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, sorry, I didn't consider that, I was just throwing out suggestions.

14. Cinis

Cinis Guest

It is a legit thought since a woman wouldn't have to deal with dysphoria in regards to that..

I think just generally depicting people as submissive and dependant and focusing solely on their sexual capabilities would be insulting to everyone in real life. I mean I get that it's a kink but it's not very flattering to anyone who is shown that way...