1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, Sep 16, 2016.

1. LaEsmeralda

So I've been keeping a diary of sorts. This summer I realised I had been drinking a lot heavier and a lot more frequently than I do during the year. I decided to note in my diary the days I drank and days I didn't. Over the last three weeks, there has been three days were I have not had a drink.

Obviously this is quite a lot of alcohol and now I have to cut down :tears: The problem is what I'm drinking too. It's red wine, and at least two large glasses each time.

The effects of drinking copious amounts of alcohol regularly on your health are very negative, including cancers, heart disease, liver disease and brain damage.

How often do you drink? Daily? Weekly? On special occasions?

What sort of alcohol do you drink? How much do you drink on a single occasion?

Have you ever worried that you might have a problem saying no to alcohol?

Have you ever considering cutting alcohol out completely?

#1 LaEsmeralda, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  2. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I drink an average of 1-2 beers almost daily, more if I'm out with friends. It's a beverage, not always an intoxicant for me. If you're in control of your consumption, alcohol is no more unhealthy than how 99% eats on a daily basis. I compete in sports, stay active, and eat a very healthy diet, so I'm not concerned with drinking a controlled amount of alcohol. It can actually be beneficial and preventative for some medical conditions. I'm actually one of those people who feel great after drinking too, so it's easy for me to wake up at 5AM and not be groggy, sore, whatever. I feel even better after a night having some drinks than I do if I simply went to sleep without.

There's was a point when I was younger that I thought drinking was becoming a problem. I drank to overcome social anxiety, and it got to the point that to even go grocery shopping or running simple errands I had to drink a few to feel calm and prepared enough to tackle those mundane activities. So, I quit drinking for about three years. That time allowed me to grow up a bit, and learn to handle my anxiety internally rather than relying on a substance or drug. Since then, I've drank very regularly but I really only get "drunk" once every 2-3 weeks, and even then it's not like I'm completely wasted. I prefer to maintain control of myself, and known when to slow down and regulate my pace through an evening.

The issue with alcohol is mental attachment and addiction that leads to abuse. If stay away from that path, you'll be fine.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I don't drink at all. I had my first and last drink at 22. Before then, I lived in a family where alcohol abuse was present which colored my perception of drinking and not wanting to. I still get paranoid when I'm around others who drink because I know of the multiple risk factors. It's one of the worst drugs, in my opinion.

There are ways to drink in moderation however. For women this is no more than one glass a day, and for men, no more than two. Anything more than that constitutes "heavy drinking". And even done in moderation can sometimes be risky. Being intoxicated can lead you do to things you will later regret. There's also the fact the body breaks down alcohol more slowly than other drugs. It takes far longer to leave your system.

4. Poroyl

Poroyl Guest

I drink when I'm at a bar, a pre-party and the like, which is usually every other week. Other than that, I don't consume any alcohol. I think my relation to it is quite healthy, but it could be that I'm still very young and only recently started drinking.
    I must add that I drink to enjoy the fuzzy happiness that it brings - It's not like I really savour the taste of alcoholic beverages (other than cider).

5. killswitch0029

It's random for me. Sometimes I'll drink every night for three nights straight (which is the max for me, I don't let myself go beyond that) and sometimes I'll go a month without drinking anything.
    I drink cider, mixed drinks, or do shots whenever I drink. I find that beer makes me sick (I'll puke after one beer but down 5 shots and not puke, where's the logic in that) and wine just tastes gross to me.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I rarely drink now, and even when I do, I don't like to get drunk. I'm not a happy drunk! Alcohol is a depressant (I know this well) and you can't use alcohol to "drown your sorrows" or to cope or blot out problems.

Alcohol is fine in moderation, but we need to be self aware and know our limits (the healthy limits are much lower than most people think). If we frequently drink to the point of drunkenness; if we find ourselves inebriated every week, we need to face the reality that we have a problem with alcohol and take steps to address it. For most people that simply means self restraint, but if self restraint is not working, seek help from alcohol support services. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually saturday or sunday. I am almost always alone when I drink alcohol, otherwise I risk seducing people

Rum or Vodka. 3 or 4 UK units

Never

Never or at least not seriously

8. LaEsmeralda

I have close to zero self restraint. I love the taste of wine and love treating myself. I'm the same with food. I know when I'm full and that eating more will make me feel sick but I just keep going until I'm struggling to keep it down.

With wine I never have just one glass, I always let myself have more because it's so delicious. I do end up getting woozy but never drunk.

I don't know if this is an issue with actually being dependent on alcohol or just not disciplining myself to a healthier lifestyle.

9. Embi

Embi Guest

Definitely on special occasions. I do drink sometimes without any specific reason but that changes all the time. Recently I've developed a habit of drinking by myself when I feel sad, which I know is extremely unhealthy.

Mostly beer, sometimes sparkling wine and vodka. Also other stuff, but that's not very often and depends on what's available.
    How much I drink really depends on my mood, the people I'm with, the occasion and the kind of alcohol I'm drinking.

Recently I have been drinking quite a lot and did not say no if I had the chance to drink something. But I always stop before I can get really drunk because I have a fear of embarrassing myself.

No. I don't want to. When I was younger, I thought I'd never drink, but I like beer very much and I wouldn't want to miss it.

10. Harp Grey

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was a teetotaler for a long time, but I started to feel way too restrained so I have started to drink alcohol, however my consumption is very low. Only at special occasions or if I'm in the right mood, however I prefer alcohol-free for most of the time.

11. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't have an ethical problem with drinking, but I don't enjoy the way most drinks taste and I don't enjoy the sensation of being drunk so I don't drink that often. Sometimes I'll have cocktails which mask the nastiness of the taste xD I can usually force down a beer if I have to be social and don't want to make other people feel awkward about drinking.

If I was alone all the time, I'm guessing I wouldn't ever drink. It's not something I enjoy.

12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never drink because my parents are alcoholics.

13. photoguy93

I drink once or twice a week. I'd say that I drink a pretty good amount once or twice a month. I used to drink a bit more, but last year I got pretty drunk and threw up - the next day, I felt MISERABLE. I also get migraines and it felt just like that. NEVER AGAIN!

I love cocktails & wine. I'm not really into just drinking to get drunk, so I can enjoy the great mix of flavors and such!

I've never worried that I have a problem saying no. Every once and a while, I think "this does help me relax....hmmm." Being on such a stressful career path, I don't want it to become a problem but right now, I think I'm good!

I've thought about cutting it out, but I really enjoy the flavors and I reallllly love a good cocktail. Here's the thing - like almost everything in life, moderation is key. I try to eat healthy, but every once and a while, I sit down and have a ton of pizza. If you are truly concerned that you have a problem, think about it and process what is going on. Most people don't recognize they have a problem so it's a good thing to think over if your'e feeling that way.

14. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you suddenly drinking so much?

15. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm never drinking alcohol in my life because I come from a family of alcoholics. Well my granddads on both my mom's and dad's side are both drunks.

16. LaEsmeralda

A mix of being bored and not feeling too good about myself. I have too much free time over the summer. I've been struggling to get a part time job, I've put on a fair bit of weight and I had to end a relationship recently. Wine is a delicious treat and I find it makes me feel better.

I think things will improve when I go back to university and I have a steady schedule.

17. Andrea7579

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think alcohol can be really dangerous. Its so easy to drift into a situation where one glass becomes two, then three and four. Its also the worst for making you put on weight, not just the calories it has but killing your energy to go do some sports

18. Ashley2103

I can't drink because it drives me crazy. Last time I drank I wanted to run into a train and end it all.

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't drink at all (and not just because it's illegal to until I turn 21 in March).

First is that I don't like the taste. I've only had a couple sips of wine and a sip of beer when I was in Germany. Granted the beer was strong but I thought that it tasted like sweaty feet. First time I had a sip of wine it made me want to gag.

Next is my family has a history of lacking self control and having addictive personalities. My aunt and father are both alcoholics. While I realize there are other types of alcohol, and I could "learn to like it", why would I want to? Already am a binge eater, don't need to become an alcoholic.

20. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    once in a blue moon, but I only enjoy the strong stuff