1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the national anthem

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tyro, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's not start arguing, people.
    Honestly, I don't like the word patriot.
    And good for Colin, America is fucked up anyway, so, why should we stand up for the anthem?

2. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I stand for it out of respect. But, if he doesn't want to stand, then he shouldn't have to. America is "The Land of the Free", so he has the freedom to not stand.

Do I disagree with him? Somewhat, but that's my opinion. I think people need to let him show his respect for his country however he wants, as long as it isn't violent.

4. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't understand why people are so upset with him. He is right that the US isn't protecting black men right now. Plus it isn't that big of a deal that 1 person doesn't stand up. People overreact. I didn't sing or put my hand over my heart for the pledge for my entire high school career but the world didn't end.

Patriotism is overrated. It's not like he is doing anything disruptive. He protested silently.

There are many people that the USA overlooks in its "Land of the Free" motto so if any of those people want to refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance, by all means refuse. It's just a song. I'm not a proud American and never have been. The USA is not a great country and I support Colin in what he did because he is not treated equally by the law.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 09:06 PM ----------

Forcing someone to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance against their own beliefs is like forcing someone to pray against their own beliefs. If he doesn't believe in the core words that the Pledge stands for then he doesn't need to stand. Freedom of religion should include freedom of patriotism because people seem to treat it the same way.

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2016 at 09:08 PM ----------

Agree :thumbsup:

#44 midwestgirl89, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2016
  5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So what? A lot of people don't stand for the national anthem. Does it really matter that much whether someone is standing or sitting?

Like midwestgirl89 said, patriotism is overrated anyway. Living in the United States doesn't mean you have to support it. People are allowed to have their own opinions.

Exactly!

6. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I'm patriotic because i love american values. Freedom of speech, religion etc. Its not perfect but nothing is. You don't have to love america like I do, but, I am allowed to criticize you for it!

7. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Here's how I see it.

America: We're allowed to not let (insert minority here) people into our stores/country/school/whatever because it's our freedom to do so

Also America: YOU DIDN'T STAND FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM HOW DARE YOU WHAT'S FREEDOM NEVER HEARD OF THAT

And listen, America can be a really awesome country sometimes. However this is not one of those times.

Disrespectful or not, and whether you disagree or not, that was his right. And he should NOT face any legal repercussions for doing what is within his right.

#47 RavenTheRat, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016