1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for the national anthem

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by tyro, Aug 29, 2016.

1. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I suppose I'll get flamed on here if I say I not only have no problem with his doing so, but even appreciate it?

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The only way in which this story is noteworthy is the fact that it is even a story at all. Though I suppose Kaepernick knew he would be getting publicity for this.

As has already been stated by many, it's his right to do so, though if he hoped it would bring more attention to the issues of black Americans, it seems rather to have brought heaps of attention on himself.

#3 Libertino, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. I can't believe this is even an issue anymore.

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He has every right not to stand for it. This shouldn't even be an issue but so-called "patriots" are making it into one. If these "patriots" really valued freedom, they'd realize he's free to not stand for something he doesn't agree with.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll start off by saying I don't really give much of a shit. However, the little shit I do give thinks that he is being unpatriotic. He has the freedom to do whatever he wants, but others have the freedom to criticize his intentional disrespect towards his country. It's an asanine and meaningless way to bring attention to the plight of minorities. The national anthem is about the positive aspects of our country and national unity.

I sure hope his decision to disrespect the USA actually has some meaningful impact on improving the lives of minorities! (Spoiler: it won't)

#6 Austin, Aug 29, 2016
  7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to get in so much trouble for not standing for it or the pledge of allegiance back in school. Honestly for the "Freest cuhn-tree evah!1!" it seems like something North Korea does to instill loyalty.

If we weren't a borderline theocracy and actually had firm civil rights laws throughout the country, then I might think differently. The way I see it a state shouldn't be able to vote on someone's human rights.

8. AlamoCity

Having a good portion of my family who is Jehovah's Witnesses (and who will stand for the pledge or National Anthem but not sing or put their hands on the chest) I understand that not everyone will do as protocol for personal or religious convictions. In fact, one of the best things Jehovah's Witnesses have done is gotten the Supreme Court to say that:

Of course, this relates more to the government (or agent of the government, in this case a school) compelling or hindering a certain action, but it is laughable when people are so "patriotic" that they don't extend courtesy to others when they choose to exercise their rights.

That said, while I do give great deference to people whose religious or ethical guidelines forbid or require certain behavior or action, I do reserve judgement when people take stands that for no good reason are divisive and politically incorrect*.

*Yes, not saluting the flag or putting your hand on your breast is politically incorrect. Weird, right. "Political correctness" goes both ways, funny when the shoe is on the other foot, hope y'all don't trip y'allselves.

Personally, I'm respectful. I judge more those who text, don't remove their hats, or act like assholes during the National Anthem/pledge. If I'm walking and the National Anthem is going on (let's say I'm at the rodeo and I went to the bathroom and am in the concourse and the National Anthem is blaring) I will stop, remove my hat, and wait solemnly.

#8 AlamoCity, Aug 29, 2016
  9. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Freedom must always include the freedom to dissent.

I do find it hilarious that all the internet people who criticise PC culture are the same people who whine about him not be politically correct.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats unconstituational.

11. iiimee

Tell that to the supreme court! I don't stand either.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it hilarious hat the people who espouse freedom of speech in this case don't seem to realize it goes both ways. Freedom of speech protects you from the government, not other citizens who will critize how you utilize your right.

13. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never said that people don't have the right to criticise him.

I just find it funny the people who rail against political correctness are the same people defending political correctness when it suits their interests.

You, however, chose to interpret my comment as being against free speech when it wasn't. I feel that people can say and do whatever they like unless it is going to cause harm to others; For example, I will defend the right of people to say "I hate [insert racial, ethnic or, other minority group here]" even though I will hate them for saying it but will not support "Let's go kill a bunch of [insert racial, ethnic or, other minority group here]".

14. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't believe his protest actually helps his cause but of course he has the freedom to chose when to stand and when to sit.

15. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Surely the Supreme Court agrees that a school telling off a student for not standing during the pledge is unconstituational? :confused:

Or did you misunderstand me? :confused2:
    Or have I misunderstood you? :help:

#15 Robert, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who cares? It's just a song. Maybe people would be more inclined to stand if they played the final countdown instead?

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think that was the point of the quoted comment at all. Czarcastic was not implying that people should not have the freedom to criticize him. Czarcastic was pointing out the hypocrisy in those who rail against political correctness but unwittingly support it in this instance: standing for the anthem is "politically correct" (under its most narrow definition) yet these same people deride political correctness elsewhere. PC is supposed to be about respect, right? These people want respect for the country, but will not support the same kind of respect for other people.

18. photoguy93

He has the freedom to do whatever he wants! This is America! He can say what he wants, and people can get mad - again, that's America.

I am just upset that people are saying "he's unpatriotic, off with this head! That's so disrespectful!" Thing is, don't soldiers fight for our freedom? We can't have it both ways.

19. L0ser

For a final project last year my class had to give presentations on something, the specific projects varied but mine was all about why you don't need to say the pledge of allegiance, national anthem, etc. West Virginia v. Barrette is a good way to find information on why this is the case.

I personally don't say either out of personal beliefs, and honestly I think it's great that he's standing by his personal beliefs, regardless of how much the "protest" will change anything. Either way I'm astounded how this can still be controversial.

20. iiimee

Ah, I thought you were saying the opposite- my bad.