1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Politic Beliefs and Dating

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Aug 28, 2016.

1. iiimee

Hey, so I'm curious... Would you date someone who holds different politic beliefs than you? Why or why not? If you could, I also would like to know what your general political beliefs are and what country you are form, just to add a little more depth to the conservation.

I used to say it was a deal breaker for me, but as time goes on I realize that I am willing to simply not discuss many political things with my partner. Like, if I really liked someone but they were pro-life or against the legalization of marijuana, I might not care that much, but of course there are some issues like LGBT+ stuff and freedom to birth control that I feel my partner would have to agree with me on for it to work... It really sucks when you can recognize someone's a nice person and at the same time hate their politics, but issues that aren't as important to me might not bother me as much. :/ Now, religion is one of those things that might be a deal breaker for me... If you're a strong Catholic, I just don't see us working out... but then again, I'd date a buddhist maybe. XD

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It would depend on how different their political beliefs were from mine. No one is going to match me exactly and that is not even necessarily what I would be looking for in a partner. I would like some fundamental compatibility though. There are some issues that are more like moral imperatives for me, in which case I would not want a partner who didn't see eye to eye on them (for example, I couldn't date someone who was racist or anti-LGBT). But if we have differing views on more pragmatic issues: the economy, foreign policy, I think it could be quite stimulating to be with someone whom I could have a healthy disagreement with, as long as those disagreements were not so frequent or so strong that they poisoned the relationship.

So aside from a few key issues of humanity, political difference in a partner is not a dealbreaker for me.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldnt date somebody who was anything but far-left.

I am an anarchist from England.

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with a lot that Libertino mentioned in their post. Actually, I do not like discussing politics period. I have discussed this with very close friends or certain family members but that's because they know me very well. Therefore, if I were dating someone who has different political views as opposed to my own, we would have to have an open discussion upfront in order to find out if we could move forward. Therefore, it depends a lot upon the validity and maturity of that particular conversation.

5. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, I have a good friend who's a Trump supporter. She doesn't turn 18 soon though, so I'm fine with that. I don't understand it, but I'm not that concerned. She will come to her senses in time, I think. If I had a partner with different political beliefs, I would just not discuss it. I'm quite liberal, but I can usually get along with people who aren't.

#5 Linus, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  6. logansarah

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also agree with Libertino on the topic.

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite vocal in my opinions so I'd date anyone who could put up with me (not necessarily agree with me).

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really depends on what beliefs differed with mine. I am a very political person and I believe that your views reflect your actual values.

If they vote for the liberal party of Quebec, I don't think we can even be friends. If you vote for them, it means that you're okay with criminals taking away funds from hospitals, schools and the elderly to put it in banks overseas or give it to private companies. I don't want to date someone so selfish.

If they are a hardcore federalist, then, they can't hope for more than friendship. I would get tired of them VERY fast.

If their views vary on subjects such as welfare, the economy, immigration etc., then okay. We can have some interesting discussions.

9. timo

I'm not going as far (ha) as only far-left, but I won't date someone who's right wing. We would inevitably clash. I care too much about politics to keep silent about it.

10. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well considering I tend to not even get along with far right-winged people past casual conversation about the weather, I would say that I would never date someone whose political views differ that much from mine. Doesn't help that I'm an atheist and far right people tend to be somewhere on the spectrum of fundamental Christians who hate me...

If anything, I'd rather date someone whose views are farther left than mine.

But if all else fails... They must AT LEAST support LGBT+ rights and birth control and stuff. And not support Donald Trump... I mean I don't care if you hate Hillary as well, I'm getting there too, but you CAN'T like Trump or we won't get along.

I'd say that views like this do play a large role in who I like. I can't just "Agree to disagree and get along" because a lot of times political views also correlate with how one lives their life.

11. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm extremely libertarian, but I could date someone who is not. As long as they're not a fascist or something, I don't mind disagreement. That said, if they're anti-freedom of speech or anti-LGBT I wouldn't date them.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same.

13. rudysteiner

I think I'd probably date someone as far left as you could get without it being weird, and I'd probably date someone who was 'right-wing' as long as they weren't homophobic/islamophobic/racist/a general cunt and still had an intact moral compass. I can't stand that 'immigrants coming here taking our jobs when they can't even speak English' attitude that a lot of right-wing British people have.

#13 rudysteiner, Aug 28, 2016
  14. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My wife and I have polar opposite views of a few topics and we have been married for 8 years. We just agree we disagree on stuff. She is a registered Republican, and I am Independent...

I'm an atheist, she is Catholic
    I'm pro choice, she is pro life
    She loves vegetables, and I dislike 99% of them...

15. AmyBee

It would be difficult, but it would depend on certain issues. My partner and I are very culturally different and I doubt she thinks about feminism or LGBTQIA issues all that much or if at all, but we're in the same general vicinity about that stuff. She's very religious as far as Shinto and Buddhism go, kind of like a lot of my relatives back home are into Christianity where they pray before making decisions and whatnot. And I'm an atheist.

I think if someone were just "low taxes/small government," then I'd be cool with them, but they tell you that and then it turns out they're also against same-sex marriage, have big issues with gendered bathrooms, won't accept another person's gender or even gender pronouns, don't think women should have control over their own bodies, or start in on Benghazi and Barack Obama hating America no matter what the topic is...

In those cases, no, I wouldn't date that person. I wouldn't even be friends with them, or if I would, not close friends. I used to have a friend who got into alt-right talk radio and in a conversation told us poor people are scum who deserve to die. End of friendship.

I have progressive beliefs, but I don't bring them up in every conversation. I'd probably get really tired of someone with the same beliefs I have constantly talking about them to the exclusion of all else. So definitely if someone brings up opposing political views when you're trying to talk about a movie or something... Like, "Say, that new Mad Max was pretty good--" "DAMN SJWs and FEMINAZIS ruined Mad Max with their anti-men political agenda!"

Yeah, no thanks!

#15 AmyBee, Aug 28, 2016
  16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Couldn't have put it better.

17. Czarcastic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could date someone of a difficult politician opinion then me, however with some notable exceptions.

I don't really care what someone's economic views are. I basically support a strongly regulated market economy with high levels of taxation and public spending but my partner would not have to share my views.

Issues such as LGBT+ rights or abortion are very important to me. Basically, my partner would have to be pro LGBT+ rights and politically pro-choice but personally pro-life. Basically, I detest the idea of abortion but I feel it is not my place to tell others how to live their life so I don't care what others do but when it came to a child that I fathered I am pro-life as I feel I do have a right to an opinion in that case.

Furthermore, I could not date (or be friends with) anyone who supports racism, anti-Semitism, or any other belief that is based off hatred of other people.

18. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't mind dating someone with different political views as long as it wasn't completely contrary to some of my more important beliefs (LGBT issues for example) but I also hate politics in general and wouldn't really be interested in dating someone who is insanely passionate about it and will talk mainly about politics and not really anything else.