1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Black Lives Matter disrupt UK airports/transport

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by 741852963, Aug 5, 2016.

1. 741852963

https://twitter.com/novaramedia/status/761525904464048128

I think this Wail Qasim guy is the opitomy of what you would expect these protestors to look like, just a complete drama queen and attention seeker. Utterly deluded it seems.

Take this tweet:

https://twitter.com/WailQ/status/761690451636264962

Can you get more big-headed. "Heroes", "freedom fighters", "sacrifice", "our vision, power and urgency will win us the world we deserve".

Sure, because there are absolutely no other options for tackling racism than creating a massive disruption and getting on people's tits. And disrupting people is definitely going to help matters. :eusa_doh:

Ah the old "well if you disagree with us you must be a racist", nice. Yes, because I disagree with people causing public disorder I most definitely am inherently responsible for every black killing ever, that is definitely how it works!

Does that mean as a gay man I can start a campaign "punch a straight for equality" and then if said straight person complains they are suddenly a massive homophobe who is the root cause of all the homophobia in society? Could you imagine: "Oh, I caused you pain, what about gay pain?!". That seems BLM way of seeing everything.

And so they should. To be honest if I saw the idiots shackled up like that blocking a road, I'd be of the mind to just drag them into the hard shoulder. Mind you that would probably be too "triggering" and I'd land up with an assault charge for touching them without consent or something. "Look the white supremacy at work" etc etc.

If this happens again the police should just shimmy some wheeled stretchers under them and slide them out of the way....preferably into a police van.

#21 741852963, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  2. Harve

LOL

In 2014-2015, UK dairy farmers, including my own family, took similar roadblocking action and more, such as looting/vandalism/ramsacking of supermarkets to protest against unfair milk prices. I'm talking locally in my county here, elsewhere the actions were more dramatic.

Farmers For Action had fairly decent public support despite their questionable actions. This is the complete opposite reaction to this week's protests. Coupled with posts like the one I've quoted below and you can already get a sense of the kind of barriers that ethnic minorities face. I can't condone every individual's actions but anyone doubting their legitimacy should think again.

#22 Harve, Aug 6, 2016
  3. iiimee

I'm sorry, but I think that blocking roads and inconveniencing the people around you in the name of protest is horrendously wrong. Nobody should HAVE to listen to your protests- Sorry, but that's just not how a decent society runs. I don't support BLM blocking the airports because they're inconveniencing tons of people who are just going about their daily lives, and I still think the BLM in Toronto are scum for trying to interrupt an LGBT+ celebration. Also, when they protested that mural's opening? Disgusting. People just want to live their lives, but this movement is going insane because, just like spoiled children, they aren't being heard. You know, maybe there's a REASON they're not being heard? You know, like them supporting affirmative action and saying white people need to pay them back because even though they haven't ever been slaves, the fact their ancestors were slaves means they automatically deserve white people's money. Sorry, but BLM has been in the deep end for awhile now. Anyone who can't see that is obviously blinded by emotion or just afraid that if they agree they'll be called racist. Honestly, I can't think of one good thing BLM has done ever since its creation. All I've seen it do is spark more tension between black people and cops, breeding paranoia and flat-out hate for either side. As I said before, nobody is required to listen to you. If you want your movement to be heard, you are allowed to boycott things, hang posters around, rally support online or in PUBLIC PLACES THAT DON'T INCONVENIENCE PEOPLE. Now, you can say standing along a street corner might inconvenience SOMEONE, but of course that doesn't inconvenience someone nearly as much as flat-out stopping their parade or making it impossible for them to get on a plane. At the end of the day, the only thing I can call BLM is a group of whiny far left children who are playing the "race card" because the only way they'll feel special is if they're chanting for somebody to die or claiming that everyone is suppressing them. Grow up BLM.

4. Sagume Kishin

And I honestly think most of the people who has posted so far would've similarly ripped into Farmers for Action for causing disruption, as well as outright vandalism and stealing. That's worse than what BLM did here without a doubt.

We're not ripping into it because BLM are doing it (or at least I'm not), we're doing it because they're massively inconviencing people just wanting to get around, especially in regards to the airport. Blocking Roads isn't a good way to protest in general in my opinion, and mostly just creates a bigger divide between the protestors and those annoyed by the inconvienienced. Not to mention causing fires in public like in the picture could outright kill people if left uncontrolled. Whether it's about unfair milk prices or racism makes no difference. It's different from say a Boycott because instead of making your statement by avoiding things you inconvience others, often just as screwed by the system or even the people you're protesting for. It makes a statement I guess, but not near as effective a one and it can also screw over people who actually need to go somewhere ASAP - say an Ambulence, or Fire Trucks.

At least things like Pride Parades are well known in their location and time well before the events themselves, so people can plan around them.

#24 Sagume Kishin, Aug 6, 2016
  5. eMei

Take a seat.

There is a reason white working class English boys are falling behind in the education system and you cannot ignore that. How dare you patronise me!

6. 741852963

True, but I don't think you can compare the two movements in such a "like for like" manner.

With the farmers there was a very clear and achievable objective: fairer milk prices.
    With BLM its a vague "don't be racist".

Yes, I'm sure racist attacks by the police do occasionally happen - but they are freak attacks rather than being completely institutionalised. You cannot solve this sort of problem simply by shouting at it.

Much like murder happens, it's bad, but if I block my local Tesco carpark screaming "I deserve not to be murdered!"....not going to change anything unfortunately.

The farmers had already established public support and awareness for their cause before trying their protests as a last resort.
    BLM have jumped into angry protest as a first resort (its a very new movement in the UK and so far all we've had is shouting).

The farmers didn't attack the general public, they focussed their aim on those actually responsible and who should change (i.e. retailers).
    BLM are frequently attacking all white people (labelling any detractors "white supremacists" or privileged), regardless of their prior support.

If anything the farmers actually have a pretty good reason to lay into the public (for expecting cheaper milk)....but they didn't.

The farmers were campaigning against real, factual impact that they themselves were experiencing.
    BLM are distorting statistics, and campaigning against problems that aren't fully there, and as though they themselves are direct victims when they are often not.

Take the protestors this week crying "Don't shoot"...when the majority of police responding are unarmed. Now I can sort of get the standing in unity with the US BLM movement...but pretending to be equally impacted instead of diverting people's attention to the realer issues in the US is silly.

Now of course racism exists in society, nobody pretends otherwise, but these protests a. don't solve the problem, and b. may worsen the problem. I would say homophobia is an equivalent issue in terms of severity in our society, but we simply don't have the same behaviour - people are tackling it in quieter, more peaceful and much more successful ways (i.e. through education, integration and community involvement).

#26 741852963, Aug 6, 2016
  7. MyPugtronus

Out Status:
    A few people
    This will accomplish nothing but making outsiders less sympathetic toward their cause. I'd say they were shooting their own cause in the foot, but I think they were doing that from the beginning, when their more visible members decided screaming "Stop being racist!" at every cop in sight was more productive than bringing their case to sympathizers within police departments and devising a plan of action to make things better. Putting people on the defensive from the get-go rarely works.

8. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If those protesters really wanted to make a difference then instead of causing greater racial segregation through their aggressive protests they should put there efforts into something productive.

How about setting up a community youth group to help young black people -and any other ethnicity for that matter- to fight racial equality the right way. Focus on education, citizenship, community work and staying legal.

I get the point that they try to make about the disproportionate crime and justice stats of ethnic minorities in the UK but I don't think anybody is suggesting that there are huge numbers of innocent none white citizens, falsely criminalised and in jailed. Surely, regardless of your colour or ethnicity, the best way to avoid being criminalised is to avoid crime. If BLM really were concerned, they should be trying to encourage generations of black people to avoid crime rather than try and force the justice system to stop penalising them for it.

For anyone that's interested this may help .gov stats

9. Joelouis

The London riots were just excuses for thugs to go in a rampage. I really think it had nothing to do with Duggan's death. If you're going to live the way he apparently did and walk a similar path, then you can't complain about the consequences you might encounter.

BLM: obviously they do. Though if they had called it ALM (All Lives Matter) then I'm certain more people would have taken notice.

As for the Farmers Action, personally I don't blame them for their Supermarket assaults, but I don't agree with road blocking. Not with any protest do I see good reason for that. Just get a bulldozer on 'em and clear a path through!

I'd happily pay more for milk as the farmers do get a raw deal in lots of cases.

Question for Harve: Do the farmers not get subsidies from the EU for milk production? I get conflicting answers from different people round where I live.

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Duggan was a proven thug anyway and all those rioters in 2011 were nothing but thugs who like to blame the government for how they live.

Racism in the UK is no where near the same level as it is in the US so this group are going way over the top.

11. MyPugtronus

Out Status:
    A few people
    They go way over the top here in the US, too. Yes, institutionalized racism is a problem, and that problem needs to be addressed, but they're going about it in exactly the wrong way. Their main issue is that cops should stop automatically viewing them as thugs and criminals, so they protest that….by painting all cops as unapologetic, poorly trained bigots with too much power. It's putting police officers on the defensive from the outset, making them less likely to sympathize with a cause that most of them may have viewed favorably, had it been presented in a more diplomatic way.

A better method would be to calmly bring their case to the public and police, find officers sympathetic to their cause, and work with them toward change. Police have a difficult job, and acknowledging that most cops simply do the best they can before saying they could do better would work wonders. With the way BLM conducts their affairs, I have to wonder if they actually want change, because all they're doing is deepening the very divisions they're protesting.

12. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    All black lives don't matter to all black people. All lives in general don't matter to all people either or I reckon there wouldn't be poverty & homelessness(bigger factors than police brutality btw). I wish generations that come up learn to be more understanding of others and see the world through most people's shoes to the best of their ability.

It sucks we have division but I see nothing wrong with pride as long as people aren't hating other races/religions/genders/orientations. But despite that there are people outside of your lifestyle that really do care. It isn't wise to alienate them.

I try to avoid cussing but if that is true about segregation in some BLM rallies, fuck them. Seriously. Only causes people to resent your movement more. I hope there can be a coalition to bring races together like the Panthers tried to do if there isn't one now. Why can't we heal each other's problems? We have so much in common if we can look past trivial things like race/gender/religion/orientation. I guess that's the downfall of pride.....(pride in general but there is sadly division among us LGBT folks too. Some people just cant collab)

And fuck those cowardly cops that shoot first without accessing the situation. Regardless whether some people they deal with are "thugs" are not that isn't justification to take their lives. Many of these cops are thugs too only difference is they legally get away with crime usually. It's really hard to say not all when the bad ones keep getting a pass. Sucks because there are clean ones who care about the community they watch over but this world reports negativity more.

13. Synesthesia

It's really dumb imo that people in the UK have adopted this movement when it's American and things aren't the same here. I see this with social justice in general and it pisses me off. They're not self aware about the UK most of the time just jumping on another American bandwagon.

14. LeticiaTheLesbo

In my eyes BLM started as a group with a real movement. They saw a flaw in our nation (and now other nations) and tried to fix it. How they went about fixing it was 100% wrong. Antics like stopping the Toronto PRIDE Parade to demnad more sign language interpretors of color or shutting down major roadways is not how you get change. They have become a nuisance and need help.