1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critics and you

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Aug 5, 2016.

1. White Knight

Do you read critics (for movies, video games, music, books)?

How does they effect your decisions?

Do you care more about professional ones or personal ones (like IMDB or Amazon user reviews)?

2. XMikaX

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I read critics especially for books before I buy them but even if the critics say it´s a really shitty book with a boring plot I will buy it anyway just to see if they are right XD. It doesn´t really matter to me if the critic came form a professional.
    And for movies I don´t rely on the opinion of others at all.

3. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It depends, for movies, I like to hear what certain critics have to say about a film, (such as Doug Walker of Channel Awesome and Chris Stuckman) as most of the critics I listen to have simular tastes to me, however if I am really intrested in a film, ill just go see it.

I am my own critique when it comes to music, as I find that everyone around me tells me my music choice is shit, then again, when my tastes are more on the indie rock side and majority of the people Im around are straight up into the 90% of garbage that comes out on the radio, you can see why theres a bit of a conflict.

For video games, I like to have a quick glance over reviews to make sure the game is at least playable, but I don't really take into account anything else other than that.

Finally, I struggle to read for long periods of time, so books aren't really my thing. Still have no idea to this day why that's the case, but it just is.

4. White Knight

Here is a link you might find interesting: Why can't we read anymore

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are times when I do read reviews from critics ...but I can't say that I totally accept them because there has been a lot of reviews in regards to music for instance that critics may have given the album a really bad or so-so review but I would love it and vice versa, there may be albums that are really top ten hits where I may not care for them at all. All in all, I may read their reviews but they do not have final say so to speak.

6. Ryu

Ryu

It's all subjective media and there may be loads of people that love or hate one thing you may be contrary to the 'popular' opinion, so I don't care about reviews in the slightest.

Take music as an easy example, most people listen of my age to top 40 pop, I listen to 50's rock and roll and psychobilly, as well as disco and funk, jazz, and with such an eclectic taste having somebody tell me what is 'good' in there eyes may be drivel to my tastes, or I'll agree and...

I don't care about reviews. Or articulating why apparently.

#6 Ryu, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  7. Quist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are things I like that get bad reviews, and things I hate that get good reviews. There are some reviewers/critics that have similar taste as me, and I might check something out if they enjoyed it.

But as for reviews or ratings in general, I tend to take them with a grain of salt.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only critics I follow these days are reviewers who tackle weird movies. I do take their thoughts into account when I eventually see what they've mentioned, but there are times where we don't meet eye to eye.

For example, The Cinema Snob reviewed "Redneck Zombies" a few years ago and we have completely different view points on the movie--though I don't know if the Snob's critique is the same as the person behind the persona or what.

9. iiimee

I generally only read reviews for products like clothes, tools, etc, and even then that's only to make sure they work well. I think reading movie reviews really narrows the mind of the potential viewer and I really wish people didn't rely on them so heavily. :/ Plenty of great movies get horrible reviews and vice versa.

10. Ashley2103

All the time, once I found bot reviews lol. They literally were talking about dresses and stuff in the reviews when I was looking at computer parts. Then there is the usual businesses reviewing themselves that you have to look out for (these fake review accounts either have only 1 review or just a few to try and look more legit), but overall I find the reviews help me a lot. I mean my gma wouldn't have gotten a fake lawyer if only she saw the yelp page she clicked on only had 2 stars.

#10 Ashley2103, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  11. Glowing Eyes

I used to all the time but I don't so much these days except for one or 2 people who I like enough to keep watching. Otherwise, I usually watch reviews for games I've already played and then pretend to argue (in a civil way).

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2016 at 06:38 PM ----------

I also like reading 1-star Amazon reviews 'cause their usually based on one little nitpick from a piece of entertainment that they otherwise like.

---------- Post added 5th Aug 2016 at 06:39 PM ----------

And, yeah, I wouldn't buy a video game if the reviews are too bad unless it's in a series I really like. Then I'll play it anyways.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every time I read entertainment reviews, it makes me sort of sad that I couldn't write that astute of an opinion piece. Sometimes they nail things I'd only get a vague idea of, and it reminds me that I'd have a long way to go if I ever wanted to try being a critic for any reputable source. *sigh*

But I do tend to trust reviews by medium-traffic sites. They're less likely to be paid off by the game publishers.

13. AmyBee

I read movie and game reviews. I'm interested in movies and talking about them. I do think most movie reviews for newspapers are junk. Sometimes they're funny, though. A consensus can put me off seeing something, but usually it's the subject matter itself that does that for me and I decide on my own whether or not I liked the movie. Because I have a degree in lit, I prefer serious film and literary criticism. You know, not whether something is good or bad or whatever, but reading it for text and subtext and context. For game reviews I'm mostly interested in whether or not the game does what I want it to and if it's buggy or not.

I'm not really interested in music journalism even though music itself is vital to me. I'd rather just buy new releases from artists I like and judge for myself.

14. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. If the movie/show/video game looks good, I'm going to buy it and watch/play it. I'll look up bits and pieces on it, to see how it runs/looks, etc..

#14 Blood Elf, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  15. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I spend a lot of time reading critical reviews of video games especially - I know the reviewers I like, and I often agree with them. So in that respect, I feel like I'm getting a trusted opinion. I also like video games enough that I often enjoy them for what they are (even if they get a bad review) so my enjoyment is not particularly influenced by reading the said opinion.

Movie reviews, which I do also like to read (mostly because it costs me time and money to get to the cinema) are a different matter though. They're often more subjective, and a bad review can put a dampener on a film for me. For instance, if they mention a specific bad scene or actor, I will constantly be watching for that. I become more critical of the film than if I was to go in 'fresh'.

As for Amazon reviews - I will always go for the best rated products. The sheer amount of reviews on Amazon mean that you do get an overall picture of customer satisfaction. People like to complain on shopping websites, so if the product has a good review despite that - then I'm more inclined to think that it's a good product.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the critical review is universally terrible I will avoid something. Although with movies critics say if it isn't some stupid art house schlock directed by the Cohen brothers it's automatically bad.

17. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't follow or listen to any critics... About the only person I listen to about reviews for movies or music is my sister, but that is because we hate the same things.

18. White Knight

Ha ha that is my thoughts exactly about movie critics.

For books, movies and comics I tend to read synopsis about it. If it sounds interesting I watch/read it. Read critics after watching movies to see how "elitist" those guys are.

For games, if it have too many negative reviews on Steam I stay away from the games. If I know the game/series I buy the game anyway.

19. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In terms of entertainment, I like to watch commentary on badly designed or outright terrible films. I can get a good laugh at others reaction to such absurdities. Take the Christian Mingle movie for example, it was just a giant ad for a straight dating site and as such the reviews are absolutely hilarious, though the actual movie induces sleep.

For myself personally, I'll keep an eye on several art critiques and take note of potential ways I can make my art style more efficient and appealing. A personal favorite skill I've learned this way is breaking down objects into simple geometric shapes for sketch construction.

20. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I read book reviews sometimes but not really..