1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for asexuals/aromantics?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by questions4ever, Jul 19, 2016.

1. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really like this girl but she's asexual and possibly aromantic ... Can we still had a relationship? What will it be like? What's the difference between asexual and aromantic as far as relationships?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Asexuals are not sexually attracted to anyone. They can do the act of having sex, maybe even enjoy how it feels, but It's the same as if a lesbian had sex with a man. However, asexuals that are not aromantic can still feel romantic interest in people as partners similarly to how a lesbian feels about other women (in the non sexual aspects).

Aromantic people are not romantically attracted to anybody. A lot of people confuse aromantic for "dislike mushy stuff", but in reality it means they are not attracted to relationship like feelings with people. Can they still be in relationships? Sure. But again, to her it will feel like how you would feel if you were in a relationship with a man. maybe you could do it, maybe you could enjoy how he makes you feel, maybe you love him platonically, but you are not attracted to him at all.

If someone is both aromantic and asexual, they will never be attracted to you in a romantic or sexual way. Their feelings for you will stay platonic (friendship) but they can attempt to stay in a relationship for various reasons.

#2 Creativemind, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. DemiNic

Honestly, that was a really good way of saying all that. I'm not gonna add anything because I'm tired and I can't think of anything to add.

Good luck with this girl you like, questions4ever,
    ~Nic ^_^

4. Brytaleith

Agreed.

I wouldn't recommend attempting to pursue a romantic/sexual relationship with her, mainly because she won't be able to reciprocate the feeling you have for her. I'd also suggest talking to her about any relationships you'd like to have with her.

Best of luck!

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, this.

I don't know about you; but personally I wouldn't date someone who doesn't return the same feelings. :/

It's up to you and her though.

6. Emmie Love

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people

7. Brytaleith

As an aromantic asexual, I will tell you that I'm very sure that I do not reciprocate the romantic and sexual feelings that people have for me, whether they make it known to me or not.

I think it is a genuine problem if couples cannot operate on the same wavelength. I think partners should experience the relationship the same, or at least similar, to each other. For example, sexual and romantic people express their sexual/romantic feelings to their partner through sexual/romantic gestures and generally expect the same back. However, aromantic asexuals do not respond to those feelings, and their sexual/romantic partner may feel unappreciated or ignored. This applies to the aromantic asexual as well, because both of them have inherently different ways of expressing affection that may not be well received by the other person.

The thing is, I'm not saying it's impossible to have a relationship between a sexual/romantic and an aroace. I'm just saying, there's a very high chance of miscommunication, and people should be aware of that.

#7 Brytaleith, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  8. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

#8 Creativemind, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016