1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News One-Third of Transgender People Avoided Food or Water Due to Restroom Discrimination

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JB2015, Jul 18, 2016.

1. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: One-Third of Transgender People Avoided Food or Water Due to Restroom Discriminat

There have been a few times I've had to reroute to different bathrooms, but in my experience I'm blessed to not have nearly as big a problem as many of my brothers and sisters.

3. AlamoCity

Re: One-Third of Transgender People Avoided Food or Water Due to Restroom Discriminat

This is sad. I also feel trans men can beat increased risk of UTIs which can be very serious to the bladder and kidneys, even.

The human toll of these laws is often unmeasured because so many suffer in private.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

So fucking evil... :frowning2:

5. thepandaboss

*raises hand

Yeah, I've had them before. But a lot of it was also because of shitty hygiene because of dysphoria.

But yeah, I'm definitely one of the third. It's not so bad now but pre-transitioning I did for sure. And then when I was living in California for a time I used to avoid bathrooms cause of how shitty things were sometimes in Sacramento.

6. Glowing Eyes

:frowning2:

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

:frowning2:

8. Izzy H

I know this issue all to well.

9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I think the only way to get these ridiculous laws overturned is to start voting with your money. And not by paying elected officials.

But by taking your business else where. I know that isn't always easy, especially if you live in a small town. Hit them where it hurts, which is their bottom line and the those who own all of the big chains and such will start yelling at the law makers.

I know it is not easy, but even out here in backward thinking Idaho I have seen unisex bathrooms or family bathrooms a trans person could use instead of a fixed gender bathroom. Its not ideal, and I know that. Unfortunately I don't have any great ideas to fix it.

10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've avoided drinking to avoid having to go the bathroom, but I'd never really considered how unfortunate it is that I have to do that. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised the number isn't higher.

11. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only

Why is this an "issue" for trans people to use the bathroom they feel comfortable with?(To distract us from passing laws that would actually benefit people)

When people have a problem with this "issue" what about the dangers that trans people especially trans women face going to the bathroom of their "born gender"? People are so oblivious that trans people have been around for quite some time and transsexuality refers to gender identity not orientation.

If people just dropped their knee jerk hatred and actually tried to respectfully talk to trans people things would be so much better. I'm sorry trans people have to go through this we respect the "T" in LGBT here may y'all live happily.

12. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

The amount of times I've been doubled over in pain because of stomach cramps due to not using public loos sucks. So many trans people have to deal with anxiety using bathrooms and it shouldn't be a thing.

13. RainDreamer

That sounded so much like everyday life for me, I forgot.
    Well, public restrooms are gross anyway...

14. iiimee

I admit I usually hold in my pee when I'm in public, though I've never had a UTI or anything like that. :/ Most of the time I told in my pee just because the public restrooms are gross.

15. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

It is an issue, because someone told the sheep to have an issue with it. It never bothered anyone for the last 50-60 years (I think the first sex reassignment surgery was that long ago...)

Cause I sort of got into an argument about it with someone on facebook. They were pretty mad when I pointed out they never thought about it until they were told too.

16. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is sadly accurate. I always go before school and then throughout the day I try to avoid drinking or eating a lot. When I get home from school I just run to the bathroom and then absorb everything in the fridge. I know that it's not healthy, but I'd rather do this than go into the schools bathroom. If I really need to go, I just make up a lie to get into the nurses office. I'm not out to anyone except my girlfriend so I can't use the men's room, but using the women's room makes me want to die. Can't wait to get out of school.

But a good tip for using the bathroom you want is to find one in some odd corner of the school. One that no one really uses because there are barely any classes by it. Then you just ask to go and hike all the way to that bathroom. Most bathrooms have water fountains next to them so take a sip and listen in. If you hear someone peeing or the hand dryer going off, wait. If that person leaves, listen again. When you are sure no ones in there make a mad dash in. Lock yourself in a stall and go quick. Listen again to make sure no ones coming, then run. Another tip is to find a restroom near a bunch of different level classes. For example, I don't know many seniors so I would find one near the classes typically taken by seniors. Even if someone sees you, they don't know who you are. Pro Tip: Find someone who you've come out to, then have them keep watch. Figure out the logistics before hand. I'll get a bathroom pass then leave the room, text my girlfriend which bathroom to meet me at. She then does the stalling at the water fountain while I go. The flush means to give a signal. If I don't hear her say anything it means "don't come out, someones here" and if she says "alright" I can run out. It's a shame that I even have to do this, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

17. iiimee

Wow... That's sucky. :/ I can use the restroom and locker-rooms at my school, but I'm such a germophobe that I rarely do.

18. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yeah see I do this too, although I'm completely cis...but I also have a strong aversion to public bathrooms and avoid them whenever possible, especially when on the road -_-

19. ErickWolf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I've gotten some stares but I've also gotten very good at doing a 'who the hell are you staring at?' death glare. It sounds rude but hey, it's just fair; they're the ignorant assholes who are getting a bit of karma payback. Fight back, not violently I mean (unless in self-defense of course), but we need to plant our feet and show them exactly how this is going to work: we will not be silent, not invisible. Especially with Trump and all this general shooting and hate crime crap lately all of us minorities, lgbt and otherwise, need to end this kind of bullshit before it gets any worse.

#19 ErickWolf, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  20. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people

I always avoid public bathrooms. Not sanitary