1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News UK School to use "Zie" instead of He and/or She

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ram90, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Eh...
    On the one hand, I understand the importance of using correct pronouns for trans people (heck, I'm uncomfortable whenever someone uses female pronouns for me) and I'd support a gender-neutral pronoun becoming commonly used if it weren't for the fact that 'they' would already be a good option.
    True, it is commonly used in a plural sense, but it makes gramatical sense if used in a singular way as well, for example:
    'Someone left a message for you.'
    'Oh, what did they say?'

The only reason I object to 'zie' is because I think it'd be harder to pick up and learn to use than 'they', and unfortunately it's been lumped in with the otherkin/tumblr bullsh*t that makes morons moan about 'respecting muh pronouns'. I just think that 'they' would be slightly easier to use and less likely to make people think that these trans kids are just 'special snowflakes' or whatever the crap.

Just a minor point. I do support the idea of a gender neutral pronoun.

3. iiimee

Utterly ridiculous. Sorry, I'm okay with using "they" or "them" for you, but I'm definitely not okay with using zie, and if YOU use "zie" or "zim" as my pronouns, I will personally smack you.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So the school's idea of respecting people's pronouns is to force them all to have zie?

Seems a bit contradictory.

I use they/them pronouns and it works fine. All I need now is for people to respect that.

Quoting iiimee '' Sorry, I'm okay with using "they" or "them" for you''

There are some people who refuse ''they/them'' though. If the person refuses it, then I have to give the person something else (xe/xem) because I absolutely refuse for people to use he/she pronouns on me.

#4 Secrets5, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not just allow every student to choose for themselves which pronouns they would want to use instead of using zie/zir pronouns for each student? I know that using they/them pronouns until you know someone's pronouns is fine but I think that they should just allow students to know that using pronouns other than he/him and she/her are fine and allow them to choose for themselves.

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't help but think of a certain green alien every time I hear "Zim" as a pronoun. Are we gonna sing the doom song now?

Think it's a bit odd, I'd have to agree singular "They" works fine.

7. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Genuine question: why would people refuse they/them? I totally understand the problem with 'it' - calling anybody that, let alone a trans person, is abhorrent and inexcusable - but what's so questionable about 'they'?

I think that if you have everyone picking their own gender-neutral pronouns then it's gonna be too confusing for people to keep up. If we're gonna have a separate pronoun then it should be just one gender-neutral pronoun, maybe two for special circumstances. It's not like we have different pronouns for males and females with varying levels of masculinity/femininity after all.

8. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be pretty comfortable using they if I was asked to. Not these though, I couldn't help but start trying to speak Dutch because that's what these pronouns remind me of.

9. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, it makes me have a sudden urge to talk in Swedish.

"Svenska! Vot else vould it be?" -Caddicarus

#9 peterw78165, Jul 17, 2016
  10. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Honestly I'm a little confused with the wording of the article. The title makes it sound like they are told to use only zie but in the article it sounds more like they are simply using pronouns of choice including they, so it may be that the title is just meant to be grabby or maybe I'm reading it wrong. I think as long as they're referring to the kids with the pronouns they prefer and feel comfortable with then it's all good. If I'm interpreting it right, it sounds like it's meant to show kids that whatever pronoun best honors them, even if it's considered less traditional like zie, that they can still communicate that with the school instead of feeling they have to settle for something less appropriate for the ease of the teachers.

11. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What's wrong with they/them pronouns? And besides, a lot of transgender people have he/him or she/her pronouns. This just seems weird.

12. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I honestly don't see much wrong with this article.
    If anything, it's good to see schools, or just society or whatever, trying.
    I see what people mean when they say "they could have just used 'they' pronouns" for sake of the students, but i also see nothing wrong with 'zie' or any other pronouns like it.
    They are rare, which makes them more difficult to get used to addressing someone with, but that shouldn't matter. And, yes, they are also often associated with being 'made up' identities by some 'special snowflakes' on Tumblr, but, come on, technically all words are 'made up'. And i don't even think these pronouns have anything to do with Tumblr or the likes of it...

But, yeah, so, seeing more use of any neutral pronouns anywhere is just fine to me!
    In this kind of society, i can certainly see how much more acceptance and support this would've gotten for using 'they' instead 'zie' for the sake of simplicity and ease for other people... But it's still alright to me.
    Even if... they really could've just asked the students what their preferred pronouns were and gone with that...
    Their pronouns probably would've been s/he-based with the occasional 'they' anyway since that tends to be how trans* people introduce...
    But, y'know... At least they tried. *shrug*

#12 Bobsleigh1, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2016
  13. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Zie, ney,zur whatever. All of that is bullshit. No thanks.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    'They are advised to address children by their 'pronoun of choice'.' Good idea. 'Is part of official guidance aimed at 'queering the education system'' - also approved.
    I don't entirely understand the situation at hand, and teachers shouldn't automatically call a trans student zie, they should ask them for their pronoun of choice, as expressed in the first quoted statement here.

15. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I agree with Invidia on this one.

I will say, "Zie" does sound a bit odd to me, but if that's what somebody prefers, then who am I to judge? It's like John Oliver said, "You ask, 'What do I call a trans person?' The answer's very simple: whatever the fuck they WANT to be called!"

#15 peterw78165, Jul 17, 2016
  16. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, these specific pronouns have all sounded weird and stupid to me but I'd still use it if they wanted me to. It really should be up to the individual about what pronouns to use, not an overall body forcing one set of pronouns onto everyone.

#16 kibou97, Jul 17, 2016
  17. iiimee

Sorry, but you need a good reason for me to invent new words just for you. So far, I have not heard one good reason for somebody refusing "they" or "them" pronouns AND pronouns like "he" or "her". Seriously, there's a point when you're just too whiny. :eusa_naug

18. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's just how some people operate, I guess. Like I said, it seems odd to me too, but if somebody wants to be called "zie" or something, then that's what I'm gonna call them. Whatever they want to be called.

#18 peterw78165, Jul 17, 2016
  19. Harve

Chill guys, it's from the Daily Mail. Yous should assume it's wrong until proven correct from better sources.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't get why people railed against political correctness until this sort of issue came to light.