1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Military attempt coup in Turkey

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by GeeLee, Jul 15, 2016.

1. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Turkish Military Says It Has Taken Over Country

Tayyip Erdogan (Turkey's President) is safe according to Sky News

2. Theo Weiss

Hope they don't replace one maniac with another.

3. Glowing Eyes

I just saw this on TV. It's kind of strange seeing a place where I've been (Ankara) with soldiers and tanks everywhere. Honestly, this happened a lot sooner than I expected.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2016 at 05:23 PM ----------

Same here. I hope this will result in a better future for the country.

#3 Glowing Eyes, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  4. DemiNic

Same here. I hope this will result in a better future for the country.

We have to hope that...

---------- Post added 16th Jul 2016 at 07:27 AM ----------

I failed the whole quoting thing there... its almost midnight here, not my fault! ^_^

#4 DemiNic, Jul 15, 2016
  5. AlamoCity

The military's statement seemed "nice." That said, the process of Turkey joining the EU will go from real long to real, real long. I think a country needs to be coup-free for at least a few decades haha.

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scary and uncertain times for the people of Turkey. Very much hoping for a quick and peaceful outcome to this (apparently unexpected) set of events.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looks like Erdogan pushed the military one time too many in his attempts to consolidate power around his own office and person.

I'm concerned about how this is going to play out. Erodgan's shut himself off from the public in recent years, which makes me wonder if the people will accept his call to resist military rule. The opposition parties generally seem to be siding with Erdogan's call to resist the coup, at least.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

#8 Aussie792, Jul 15, 2016
  8. Formality

I'm just glad seeing Erdogan getting the boot. Dat hoe had it coming, just say'n!

I believe what is going to happen is that there's gonna be a new election to elect a leader, then things will go back to a less fascist normal for Turkey. What I've heard through the news what the military has said about the coup has been quite reassuring.

Here's to hoping!

9. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This feels really off and will end badly for Turkey. It will pretty much gives Erogdan the green light to establish a dictatorship as a means to 'protect' the democracy. Such a coup should have happened only in response to a law that clearly shows that the democracy is in danger, a time in which there is enough civil discontent. There is also the risk of a civil war which is the last thing anyone needs considering how powerful the Turkish military is and how disasterous such a war would be.

#10 Eveline, Jul 15, 2016
  10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    ... Centuries...

Yeah, well, the media zombies... They rush to say the president is safe... One of how many millions of turkish people? :rolle:

I'm sorry about them Turks... They don't deserve such shitty governments...

11. Glowing Eyes

Yeah. I've got to say I got a bit overjoyed and not thought enough and my initial excitement has died down within the last two hours. Erdogan is just so corrupt that I got happy about this without thinking about how it could actually help him become even more powerful and dangerous for the country :frowning2:. Maybe me being half Turkish and having been to Ankara many times contributed to my reaction.

12. 741852963

Agreed, tactically speaking this was the wrong time for the coup, and it was not well-orchestrated. Like you said, unfortunately this will just increase his strangle on the country.

Seeing the likes of John Kerry describing this as a "victory for democracy" when neither martial law or the status quo can be said to be democratic is an insult. Erdogan is monstrous. Seeing him maintain public support after his blatant arranged beatings of critical journalists, and his corrupt building of his palace for example. I'm guessing a lot of it is down to fear.

It saddens me seeing the pictures of those young surrendered soldiers on the bridge being beaten by baying mobs, you can see in their eyes that they are broken, and they were probably just hoping for a new ideal. Who knows what will happen to them now.

13. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't care about Erdogan,I care about Turkish people and their freedom and of course peace in this region named middle east.

I think it's very good that Turkey did not fall in a civil war or such things.

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seeing the that this coup failed means that Erdogan is going to suppress dissent perhaps more violently than before. I think it is ironic that Erdogan urged his supporters to take to the streets in protests whenever his administration has been very violent to anti-government protestors in the past, even using "fire water" (water mixed with mace) to disband protests in Ankara and Istanbul.

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly.

This failed coup was the last attempt of the secular wing of the military that felt Erdogan had gained too much power. Turkey has had coups in the past when the leader was deemed a "dangerous Islamist" (which one might argue Erdogan is). Now the dissenters staged their final attempt and removing him from power and it failed, which means that Erdogan will now be able to rid the military of any dissenters, as he has been doing thus far in his presidency. He will be able to have almost total power. A recent article I read said that Erdogan is not ruling out the death penalty for the thousands arrested.

This coup attempt was either going to remove him from power or allow him to finalize his complete control over the country. Unfortunately it has been the latter.

16. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Facepalm...

Should have seen it coming... They have no originality with the tactical side...

17. Simple Thoughts

18. Ashley2103

[YOUTUBE]CRibUmaM3M0[/YOUTUBE]

Fixed

------------------------------

I think Gollum is going to use this coup to further his own power, but I am glad his crackdown is helping jeopardize Turkey's chance of entering the EU, as I feel Turkey is not ready to enter considering that they basically have an aspiring dictator in power.

There are rumors going around that this is staged, I am not sure what to think of that as I would expect Gollum to do anything for power. But then again, I can see where people get upset with the government to the point they take reckless risks, such as having a coup without being organized first.

This may sound messed up, but I hope this isn't the last coup Gollum has to deal with. I just don't understand how you can be that power hungry at age 62.

19. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was terrified hearing about this because I have family who live in Ankara. But it was amazing to hear about the people who went out onto the streets and lay in front of the tanks. Really brave of them, but it also says a lot about how much people care about this stuff. Unlike here in NZ where too many people don't care who the government is. I wonder if it would have been for the better or the worse, though? For example what happened in Fiji, where there's actually more peace there now.