1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Mike Pence to be Donald Trump's Running Mate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SkyDiver, Jul 14, 2016.

1. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure why he picked Pence but it's possible he wants the more conservative Republicans to be with him. Trump has touted about being not really part of the "establishment" but now he has Pence who is a cookie cutter version of the GOP uber conservative establishment. Trump may have scared off some moderates but otherwise he may have been looking for someone who seems level headed and like an average guy. Pence is in no way an average guy though. He's a nut job who will try to take away everyone's rights but Trump wanted to do that anyway.

He may get some of Indiana's vote but Pence isn't actually very popular in Indiana. More people dislike him than like him. I'm not sure why Trump would pick someone who is already not very well liked in his own home state.

2. Flowey

Love the sig
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not saying I idolize the Democrats either. It's not a matter of Pepsi or Coke though. Hillary is Coke and Trump is sewer water.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I actually took a similar position in print to Savage's once.

That said...even getting a low level elected office in this country is hard. In my state, it's very hard to even get listed on the ballot--there are only two names allowed for most offices.

I will, say, however that for President, 3rd party might be viable if the right person ran. That is a big if. My complaint/concern with Johnson and Stein aren't their parties. My concern is that neither has significant elected experience. President is not an entry level position. Even though the Republicans apparently think it is--Trump this year, and Palin in 2008 (who admittedly now seems over qualified to be VP given that Trump is running).

But more qualified people might run for 3rd parties in coming years. There surely must be Democrats who are frustrated by a party that has shifted conservative. There must be Republicans who are frustrated by a party that has shifted really conservative, and turned totally loony. If one of these Democrats shifted to Green in a coming election, and voter frustration was high enough, that candidate might win.

6. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Republicans are loony, that's for sure. What logic is there behind the belief that a fertilized embryo should have the right to live, but assault weapons are our god-given right?

7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    We in America are teenage girls who love drama. If we get a cuss-happy loudmouth who is advocating humanitarian policies that people regardless young or old could relate to that imho would work. Contradictory, a, moderate people-first Trump? Sad part there may be some truth to this.

I never got that they are pro-life but pro-war too. Seem so antithetical to each other don't ya think?

8. Cauldron

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    #68 Cauldron, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A link to a response to Dan Savage's comments about 3rd parties. Apparently The Green Party has run for office other than President, and even has people currently in office. I'd been unaware that they had done so well when I posted earlier--most of the races I'm truly conscious of always come down to the Democrat vs Republican. There are also some interesting comments about the line that Nader was a spoiler back in 2000.

The Green Party Responds to Dan Savage, Says He's "Dead Wrong" - Slog - The Stranger

10. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, Trump originally endorsed Hillary for president when she ran previously. He thought she would make a good president. Now that he's running, of course, he wants to cut her down. Hm. Funny that.

11. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All things considered the nomination people don't actually hate each other. Some do but it's clear donald does not actually hate the candidate's.

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love the fetus, hate the child. They're so pro-birth, but anti child support.

I get they "love Jesus" and all but a lot of what they do contradicts their beloved teachings.

13. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Exactly. If someone wants to believe in Jesus fine but to say that his teachings should be followed and told especially in schools? What about care for the sick and poor? Can't see Jesus approving of killing innocents, killing anyone for that more, in war. "We follow Jesus as our savior and the law". Ha!:eusa_liar

Like you said a fetus is fine but they ignore the health of the mother especially in cases of rape. What about the financial stability of the family? Babies need food, clothing, formula,etc. and all of that isn't cheap. Bring up raising the average wage and they scoff it's so weird.

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I do not understand pro-life politics. It only sounds good in the name, all the meanings therein are just freaking sadistic.

#74 Invidia, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  15. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You can say that again! My rural backwater town, where Trump signs are a dime a dozen, and Hillary signs are nonexistent, also has a fair share of "Fire Pence" signs (of course, most of them probably hate him for how he's screwed over our state's teachers and public school system, rather than what he's done to us LGBT folks).

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trump has said women who get abortions should be punished. This guy is such an asshole it's overwhelming at times.
    Hillary wouldn't be my first choice, but she at least wouldn't take away our rights like Trump would.

17. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG.

A megalomaniac and a religious nutter.
    The rest of the world is terrified beyond belief!:help:

18. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun: