1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What my conservative sister said about LGBT folks just stunned me!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jjc76, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Wolfwing

Well to put it simply: Duct tape can a fix a lot of things, but it can't fix stupid.

2. Flowey

The gay are upun us! Hide yo wives! Hide your kids!

3. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't see anyone marching to "make" people gay

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    While certainly making everyone gay for a year would solve many of the world's problems, like nerfing overpopulation and homophobia it's entirely fantasy; you can't just change someone's orientation.

It doesn't matter how hard anyone tries or fakes it, "changing" someone is just putting them back in the closet. People in power don't get that not everything is a conspiracy against them, ie, not everything is about them.

Making everyone gay permanently would be the most fabulous way to annihilate humanity, however. :lol:

5. Godless

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's not forget why they think that way. It is called dogma. They are so convinced they are right, they cannot justify why people would believe anything different. For instance, my parents are convinced that atheists just want to sin so they believe they are god. I'm quite certain that is false. I think many conservatives are wonderful people that believe horrible things just because of the dogma they subscribe to. My dad is certain that gay men all have issues with their fathers. No matter what science says he only trusts scientists that agree with him. The only way I can think to change minds is to cause cognitive dissonance until the dogma breaks. Maybe if I told him I like men, it would confuse him. We have no issues. I'm not saying hatred is ok, but I'm encouraged. I moved from San Diego to South Carolina and met a girl with very fundamentalist parents, despite their bigotry she sees nothing wrong with gay people. I am just encouraged for the future. And I definitely have never forgotten the horrible atrocities that have been commited against LGBT in the name of Jesus. I just think that effective persuasion requires us to meet hatred with love.

6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I see a lot of people who only say it would be a lie. That might be true. But among black people there are a few black sheep (I know, stupid choice of words, don't know how else to say it) who are racist themselves and think that white people are evolutionary inferior. Therefore I wouldn't be too sure that we don't have such idiots aswell. Gay people who grew up unaccepted and now live their vengeful anti-straight fantasies in small groups. And people who are anti-gay will only see these idiots and use them as an argument. We should do our homework and see if they exist. If they do, we should work on getting them back to our goal of living in equality and harmony with straight people.

7. jjc76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's just it. How much is the word "Equality" thrown around in gay communities and in politics? That's what we want. The word by itself implies that we want to be treated like everyone else. Nothing about it means we want to turn everyone else gay.

8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nothing a conservative says stuns me anymore.

The fact is, many conservatives view the push for same-sex marriage as an "attack" on them because for some reason, allowing other people to have something they have isn't fair--they want it all to themselves.

9. Glowing Eyes

I'm gonna go on a bit of a tangent here but that bothers me so much too. They have this persecution complex that just makes no sense. I can respect opinions other than my own but it doesn't mean I will and this obsession with pretending to be persecuted is so detached from the real world I just can't. Its as if they're living in an alternate universe where gays and atheists are forcing straight Christians to be gay atheists. Seriously, if I were an alien and crash landed on Earth and the first things I heard were the Christian Post and other sources spouting this nonsense, I would advocate Christian rights in America only to realize that Christians are the majority of the country and that I just made a fool of myself. I seriously believe that some of these self-pitying lunatics have really, really bad paranoia 'cause that's the only way somebody could actually believe Christians are a persecuted minority in America under attack by gays, trans people, atheists, and liberals. These guys are more annoying than people who lose their minds over somebody dressing up as a Native American for Halloween and the worst part is, unlike with SJWs, these aren't just some annoying college kids or bloggers but Presidential candidates. People like Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum seem to genuinely believe Christians are persecuted in the US and the things they consider persecution are so, so petty. Some of the other candidates also spout this fantasy either to pander or 'cause they for real feel persecuted. If they're gonna complain about Christian persecution, how about the Middle East where Christians are a persecuted minority. And they keep complaining how their "values" (like they have any) are being taken away. What, being straight is a value? And even if it was, legalization of gay marriage isn't threatening their marriage. Like I said, I'm certain some of them have paranoia.

I know I sound like I was really angry just then but I promise I'm not. I often sound really angry when I talk about things I dislike.

10. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm...maybe it's a shakey interpretation of all the hogwash intersectionality is spewing. they do deploy a lot of shaming tactics, general pressure, and attack the whole traditional family/gender roles from time to time. perhaps in a fit of confusion, she started conflating the two? Progressives can be rather confusing.
    this is the way I believe things should be handled. the best elimination tactic for bad ideas is to let them have their voice. common sense will wash them out.

#30 Reflect Manta, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  11. eMei

Yeah, because we have so much of an agenda we're going into nightclubs shooting straight people just for being straight.

Oh wait.

12. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd have asked why she thinks secular marriage laws should be written in accordance with the beliefs of one particular branch of one particular religion.

13. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    More acceptance for LGBT people doesn't mean erasure of heterosexuality I wish most people understood that. If anything most attractions in the media shown are of heterosexual attractions. Most people in the world are heterosexual. A few gay people shown and supported here and there doesn't mean the promotion of every person to be gay.

(Closes door. Commences plan with cult to make the whole world sparkling. Muhahahahaha!)

14. SmallSeaCat

I mean, they could still repopulate, just without the marriage :/

15. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    But assuming this "movement" succeeded and was able to turn everyone homosexual, as the Church apparently believes the LGBT community is somehow capable of doing, then nobody would want to reproduce the traditional way anymore, would they? We'd be forced to continue the human race through fertility clinics and test-tube babies.

16. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She's just plain stupid. Beware the strongly religious.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is it that when these threads come up you always bash people of faith?

We are not all like this. There is a growing movement of more liberal, enlightened Christians. Plenty of moderates too. Every person of any persuasion has its bad apples.

We are not all bigoted.

You can be strongly religious without being an asshole.

18. jjc76

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I don't think the intention was to say that all people of faith are like this, although I suppose you could make that assumption based on what was said. Many are, though. And perhaps they are slowly becoming just a very vocal minority. But you are right, people of faith are not all like that. Truth is, more and more people are waking up to the reality that not everything in life can fit inside the round hole that religions think is the only "right" way to please god. The more that we speak up about our life experience, and shine a light on the square peg that cannot fit into the round hole, the more others will understand. It just takes time.

19. Reflect Manta

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I could honestly stand the occasional obligatory trip down someone's alley to sustain the human race. the big issue would be custody battles.

20. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some people honestly say the stupidest crap. The only case I have heard of where people were trying to take away the rights to heterosexual marriage, was when a state (?) tried to make opposite-sex marriage illegal just to try and keep same-sex marriage illegal, so it wasn't even the "gay agenda". How is us having equal rights to them taking away their rights?

---------- Post added 14th Jul 2016 at 10:05 PM ----------

Although I do actually know a SJW who is very anti cis, het, male and white and who lives in a life full of over-reacting tumblr while screaming at the majority of our year group for being any of these things that we can not change being -_- Luckily I rarely come across these kind of people irl.

#40 RGEm, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016