1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Finnish politician: "Marriage is about being a man and a woman, not love"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Deinna, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So in Finland, gay marriage is finally legal next year, but naturally there are people, who disagrees with this.

Article (In finnish, I couldn't find english version)
    Basically, in this article, Päivi Räsänen, a Finnish politician, who is a part of The Christian Democratic political party and is known of her homophobic attitude, talks about homosexuality and why gay marriage shouldn't be legal here. She talks about, how the base of marriage isn't about love, it is undeniably about being a man and a woman. She also says that it would be cruel and loveless, if homosexuality would be accepted and wouldn't be considered as a sin anymore. Fortunately, at the end, receachers did correct her opinions, saying that marriage is a union berween two people, who love each, and other things like that.

I have hated this woman for so many years, way before I even knew I was part of the LQBT community, but these kind of comments just angers me even more... :bang:

And if any of you want me to translate something more on that article, just ask :slight_smile:

2. Hunter8

Being a Christian myself, I can understand her viewpoint to an extent. But what flabbergasts me is that she says that love is not the most important thing in a marriage, which is utterly false. There's no biblical basis for that. Regardless of whether or not she believes that marriage is exclusively for heterosexual relationships, she damages her credibility as a Christian by so lightly disregarding love.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Most of all she damages her credibility as a human being by hatefully discriminating against other people.

4. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She sounds like an asshole.

5. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thread title's wrong, it should say "Finnish politician discovered depriving village of idiot".

6. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think she should use Christianity as an excuse to not letting gay couples marry. I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere before that marriage was actually invented before Christianity, so marriage isn't even a Christian concept. Don't quote me on this though.

Even if it was a Christian concept, why should other people have to follow their rules if say these other people belong to a different faith, or perhaps are not part of any religion at all. (I know it sounds like I'm generalising here, but I don't mean all Christians, I'm just tired and can't be bothered to organise my thoughts properly lol)

7. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The article talks about how she has released a book (co-authored by her husband) on the topic of why gay and transgender people are loveless abominations who want to destroy marriage, gender, motherhood and fatherhood. I feel OP should have mentioned the trans stuff too, because the article almost covers that more and Räsänen has previously single-handedly set back trans rights in this country and keeps on doing so.

I have no idea what she is doing in our government when this is an otherwise very secular country, I don't even know a single religious person and have met maybe 10 in my entire life. Who even voted for her/Christian Democrats? :confused:

The author of the article does an excellent job at dispelling the myths and hate she keeps spewing, so that is nice. Heck, even the title of the article is 'Päivi Räsänen in her Marriage-book: "It is cruel not to call homosexuality a sin" – researcher perplexed by the sentiment' (and this is a major TV network). And like OP said, there is nothing she can do about gay marriage anymore, it already passed and the law comes into effect next year, so she can cry and write hate books all she likes. :lol:

8. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for clearing that up! :slight_smile: I tried to make my start short, and I clearly forgot some things and some things I just didn't know how to explain :icon_redf :grin:

9. CoderK

^Perfect description. I second that statement.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So is she for a man having hundreds of wives and concubines like Solomon did, or is she just a homophobe who doesn't like the idea of gay people getting married?

11. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No problem, and thank you for posting this! :slight_smile: I am kind of out of touch with what is going on here in Finland, I hardly ever browse our news sites. :lol:

I think she is just a homophobe, otherwise I demand to get my Canadian right now. Or Swede in my case, because I am only allowed to own Russians, Norwegians and Swedes I think.

Edit because Daydreamer1 posted while I was posting.

#11 HappyGirlLucky, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  12. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This politician lady needs to get her head out of her ass and join the 21st century.

13. Alfhild

The rise of the far right and more nutjobs.
    Seriously, not for love? Let's go back to arranged marriages while we are at it?!
    Then she contradicts herself "cruel and loveless, if homosexuality would be accepted" but it's not about love is it??
    WOW :eusa_doh:

14. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should know, you can't use a brain when it's planted firmly up your ass. That's just not how it works. Someone pass her a set of tongs?

You see hun, marriage might have been about repopulation and men considering others to be their property way back in the day, but the pterodactyls aren't flying anymore. It's time to wake up and join us in the 21st century. If the world wants to savor the medieval ages so thoroughly, they should get out of office and play some Oblivion: I assure you it's far more enjoyable and even more educational than the way they do it now.

15. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    May I give you a virtual hug? Because what you said was 100% true. (*hug*)

#15 peterw78165, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  16. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

People were getting married long before christianity came along, and no doubt they will still be getting married after christianity has gone the way of so many other religions before. It always astounds me that so many religious people think marriage "belongs" to them and that they should be able to dictate who can get married

17. sandrew255

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really don't get the whole Christian response to same sex marriage (not all Christians, I know!). Christianity didn't invent marriage. People did get married in the pre-Christian era.
    Christian denominations have their definitions of what marriage should be, as do other religions. In modern times the state/country you live in also defines legally what marriage is.
    When you get legally married you fulfil the requirements of the state - usually by signing a document. If you choose to be married within a certain faith, you then, presumably, intend to abide by the requirements of that faith relating to marriage.
    There is no wrong or right. In many countries polygamy is an option, in many it is not. The country decides how they define marriage. Just because a country is traditionally Christian, or Buddhist, doesn't mean that the state has to abide by the rules of that religion, unless it chooses to.
    As I understand it, the bible has much to say about divorce and remarriage that many Christians choose to ignore. I am fairly certain it says nothing about gay marriage - simply because the concept of being gay didn't exist. The words in the bible often translated as "homosexual" clearly didn't mean at that time what we understand by the word homosexual now. There were people with same-sex attraction, and there is sketchy evidence of early Christian same sex marriages being performed, but basically each denomination has to make its mind up based on what is implied rather than stated.
    Whatever a religion or denomination decides is their take on the subject is up to them. They are fully entitled to decide that, for instance, Catholics shouldn't use birth control, or have abortions, but it is wholly unacceptable to impose that decision on the whole state - unless the state has adopted an official religion. There is no wrong or right, it is whatever people believe. She believes that 2 people of the same gender shouldn't be able to marry. That's fine. Other people believe differently.
    This woman has no more right to suggest everyone play by her rules than I have to enforce my moral judgements on her. The state as a representative of the people decides.

18. Glowing Eyes

Oh look, finally one of these homophobes admits they don't get love (unlike Santorum or Huckabee). I feel kind of bad for her husband but then again, I don't.

#18 Glowing Eyes, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  19. Glowing Eyes

I meant that these two don't admit it.

20. peterw78165

peterw78165 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooooh! Shots fired!